Official Review: Tethered to Wanting

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Official Review: Tethered to Wanting

Post by stacie k » 17 Apr 2018, 17:38

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tethered to Wanting" by Constance Huddleston Anderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did you ever play tetherball at recess in elementary school? I remember smacking that ball again and again as it spun around the pole, restricted in its trajectory by the length of its rope. Like that ball, hopelessly bound to the pole, is how Lunda Rose felt about her life in the novel Tethered to Wanting by Constance Huddleston Anderson. The setting is the Tennessee mountains in the 1960’s, and Lunda Rose is one of four children in a dysfunctional home where Joe Halverston (her father) was given to unpredictable outbursts of rage and rampaging. This novel gives an accounting of Lunda Rose’s life at age 15, the year she identifies as when she was catapulted to adulthood.

Lunda Rose and her sister, Ruby Grace, marked time not on a calendar or according to a clock, but according to the houses that they lived in. They were accustomed to sleeping in their clothes to be ready to arise in the middle of the night and grab their five essential belongings to load up in the car and drive to a new temporary home. Fear dominated their family. Joe made neon signs for a living, which required him to travel often. But where did he go, and why did he stay away for weeks or months at a time? When he returned, would he be angry?

Using simple, easy to understand language, Ms. Anderson paints a vivid picture, especially regarding emotions. For example, the fear is palpable in the opening scene as Lunda Rose cowers under a desk with her sister and cousin, hiding from the wrath of her father. I often found my heart pounding as I experienced fear and anxiety along with the characters. To cope with her chaotic circumstances, Mother found solace in ironing. At least her clothes and curtains could be orderly. Similarly, Grandmother sought control by cleaning and scrubbing things until they fell apart. Ms. Anderson took me on a rollercoaster of fear, anger, anxiety and grief along with her characters.

Though complex and packed with meaning, the novel’s most significant theme revolves around the keeping of secrets. Secrets are a primary source of problems for the Halverston family. Thought to be a source of power, secrets weaken relationships by eroding trust and giving birth to suspicion. They also require hard work to protect. Several characters in the novel harbor secrets, including Joe, Helen (Mother), and Grandmother. Abandonment, fear, identity, and grief are secondary themes prominent in the novel.

I was exposed to new thoughts and ideas through the reading of this novel. I learned about the dangers of coal mining, the art of neon glass forming, the culture of the Cherokee, and even the mythology of Janus. Among those, my favorite aspect of this novel was the symbolism found in the art of making neon signs. The reader gets a glimpse of a different side of Joe as he works to create neon signs. He is portrayed momentarily as a creator, rather than a destroyer, of beauty. Even his mistakes were magnificent, as he redeemed them by forming roses or other beautiful shapes. I find this to be symbolic of life. Even though life takes us on a different path than we anticipated, the result can still be both beautiful and treasured.

I cannot help but to compare this book with Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linanne. Both are coming-of-age stories of teenage girls in dysfunctional families, but the authors have completely different writing styles. Where Jennie Linanne majors on flowery, descriptive language, Constance Anderson employs more simple words to lead the reader on an emotional journey.

There were a few difficulties I experienced that are worth mentioning. Occasionally, Lunda Rose’s story was delivered in the form of a flashback. Sometimes I was unclear if the story was unfolding in the past or the present. In addition, some thoughts were shown in quotation marks. Perhaps the use of italics for thoughts would set them apart from dialogue in quotation marks. There were some problems with the formatting of the kindle edition that I received, particularly with paragraph indentation. In addition, I encountered quite a few errors in punctuation such as missing/extra commas or quotation marks or wrong word forms. Even though I didn’t really want to like this book due to its abusive content, I found that it really made an impression on me. Therefore, I award 3 out of 4 stars to Tethered to Wanting. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys coming-of-age stories or stories of real life struggles. I must warn that some of the abuse scenes are graphic, so those who have a sensitivity to abuse may want to stay away.

Tethered to Wanting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 51
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Watchers by Marietta Standlee

Post by kandscreeley » 20 Apr 2018, 07:53

It's too bad about the errors and the difficulty figuring out the time period. It sounds like quite an emotional story. Abuse is so heartbreaking to read about much less actually experience. Thanks for introducing this one to us.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

cpru68
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Favorite Book: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Currently Reading: Soul Love:How A Dog Taught Me To Breathe Again
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 » 20 Apr 2018, 13:07

Before you mentioned it in the review, I thought..this sounds a lot like the book of the month! It would seem that the author did a great job at touching your heart, and the title says it all! So many who are caught up in abuse feel like that ball being batted around a pole over and over again. Nicely done review, and as far as the errors go, the author should take heed to what you are saying here. It isn't fun to be reading a very good book and not being able to figure out when its a thought, a memory or a present event. Good job on this!
Everything happens for a reason...

stacie k

Post by stacie k » 20 Apr 2018, 14:16

kandscreeley wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 07:53
It's too bad about the errors and the difficulty figuring out the time period. It sounds like quite an emotional story. Abuse is so heartbreaking to read about much less actually experience. Thanks for introducing this one to us.
It is both emotional and heatbreaking! Thank you for commenting!

stacie k

Post by stacie k » 20 Apr 2018, 14:17

cpru68 wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 13:07
Before you mentioned it in the review, I thought..this sounds a lot like the book of the month! It would seem that the author did a great job at touching your heart, and the title says it all! So many who are caught up in abuse feel like that ball being batted around a pole over and over again. Nicely done review, and as far as the errors go, the author should take heed to what you are saying here. It isn't fun to be reading a very good book and not being able to figure out when its a thought, a memory or a present event. Good job on this!
Yes, the reasons behind the abuse are different, but there are definite parallels with Ironbark Hill! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: The Fire Court
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books » 20 Apr 2018, 14:26

This sounds like a wonderful book - what a pity about the editing flaws. I appreciated your comparison with Ironbark Hill, thanks.

stacie k

Post by stacie k » 20 Apr 2018, 15:51

Libs_Books wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 14:26
This sounds like a wonderful book - what a pity about the editing flaws. I appreciated your comparison with Ironbark Hill, thanks.
Thanks for your comment!

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: On Broken Pieces by Carolyn C. Carlisle

Post by crediblereading2 » 20 Apr 2018, 16:17

I too agree that this book reminds me of Ironbark Hill with all the abuse from the father. This situation is so prominent in many households, where secrets are certainly kept in some cases. For multiple years, many innocent children have been coerced into keeping the secret of the abusive parent in order to even survive in the household.

stacie k

Post by stacie k » 20 Apr 2018, 16:20

crediblereading2 wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 16:17
I too agree that this book reminds me of Ironbark Hill with all the abuse from the father. This situation is so prominent in many households, where secrets are certainly kept in some cases. For multiple years, many innocent children have been coerced into keeping the secret of the abusive parent in order to even survive in the household.
It's so sad. I believe this problem is more prevalent than I was aware, especially given that all parties want to keep the secret.

qsusan
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan » 21 Apr 2018, 03:52

It sounds like a beautiful book. Sad but on the whole more than just the sum of its sadness; its characters aren't people to hate but people to empathise with.

stacie k

Post by stacie k » 21 Apr 2018, 08:47

qsusan wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 03:52
It sounds like a beautiful book. Sad but on the whole more than just the sum of its sadness; its characters aren't people to hate but people to empathise with.
Well said, qsusan! Thank you for your comment!

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Survive The Fall by Julia Bright
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 21 Apr 2018, 09:39

When done correctly, flashbacks can be such a powerful tool.

It amazes me how society let (and still does) the father of a house be a total tyrant. That was a big part of my drive to be financially independent so I would never feel stuck in a bad situation.

stacie k

Post by stacie k » 21 Apr 2018, 10:21

CommMayo wrote:
21 Apr 2018, 09:39
When done correctly, flashbacks can be such a powerful tool.

It amazes me how society let (and still does) the father of a house be a total tyrant. That was a big part of my drive to be financially independent so I would never feel stuck in a bad situation.
This must be why people become social workers, to try to help the helpless. Thank you for your comment!

Sarah Tariq
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 23 Apr 2018, 01:42

The novel beautifully depicts multiple themes and the Coal mining, Neon Glass forming and the culture of Cherokee are the unique aspects of this book. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

stacie k

Post by stacie k » 23 Apr 2018, 12:04

Sarah Tariq wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 01:42
The novel beautifully depicts multiple themes and the Coal mining, Neon Glass forming and the culture of Cherokee are the unique aspects of this book. Thanks for your review.
Thank you for your comment!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”