Official Review: Notes on The Bronx by Mark S. Greenberg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Notes on The Bronx by Mark S. Greenberg

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Notes on The Bronx" by Mark S. Greenberg.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Notes on The Bronx is a work of fiction by Mark S. Greenberg. Hosting a collection of short stories and poetry, the book is broken into four segments, with each segment following the same structure: short poem, medium-length story, and longer story. The segments represent seasons, beginning with Summer. According to the “About the Book” notes, the storyline is modeled after The Four Seasons, a classical music composition by famed composer Antonio Vivaldi, where each season comprises a shorter complete work that fits seamlessly into the whole. As the title denotes, Bronx, NY is the overarching theme of this book.

The pieces in this book are connected in a way that is not immediately apparent, leaving the reader to decode the author’s cryptic intention. Certain themes seem to appear more than once, with photography and the Jewish culture being the most obvious examples. The author’s writing style is unique, showcasing an interesting assortment of sentence fragments and beautifully-depicted imagery with immaculate phrasing. At times, this conspicuous dichotomy left me scratching my head.

While I’m certain I did not decipher every hidden nuance the book had to offer, I did easily unearth frequent grammatical and punctuation errors. Although this did not greatly interfere with my ability to follow along, it certainly was distracting. Larger issues with flow were noticeable when the subject or speaker was not clearly identified. Occasionally a character would appear as though the reader ought to know them, but the introduction had never occurred. I felt largely that the stories were not interesting enough to earn a place in the short lineup of pieces in this book, and would have enjoyed better character development and more intriguing plots.

As a whole, I think the concept behind this book is tremendously clever. I love what the author has envisioned and feel it has great potential as a theme. I really enjoyed the poetry and feel that style of writing was the author’s forte in this work. There were a handful of simplistic black and white photos that made for a lovely addition. As I mentioned earlier, there were times when the writing was superbly crafted, seeped in vivid details and subtle plays on words.

As the reader, what I was really hoping to find was more engaging stories; something that would hold my attention. Additional editing is a must for this piece, and with the proper revisions, I feel this book could be a terrific read. In its current state, I can only offer 2 out of 4 stars.

Notes on The Bronx
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry that this story didn't meet your expectations. I love the way that it's organized, and it sounds like with a bit of work, it could be something really good and worthwhile! Thanks for the review. I'll wait for another edition.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
nobunkum
Currently Reading: The Caucasus
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobunkum.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by nobunkum »

You said that stories left you wanting but were the poems enjoyable by themselves?
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

nobunkum wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 10:21 You said that stories left you wanting but were the poems enjoyable by themselves?
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Yes, I enjoyed the poetry; my favorite piece was entitled To Mozart. There were only four poems and this one was the second longest.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 09:21 I'm sorry that this story didn't meet your expectations. I love the way that it's organized, and it sounds like with a bit of work, it could be something really good and worthwhile! Thanks for the review. I'll wait for another edition.
Thank you for reading and commenting!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

It's a pity it didn't quite turn out as expected. I loved your method of description: "... interesting assortment of sentence fragments and beautifully-depicted imagery with immaculate phrasing." Ordinarily, I'd have had my antennae high up for the book were it not for those other issues. I'll just have to hold on for a revision. Thanks for intimating us on this!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Vickie Noel wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 17:01 It's a pity it didn't quite turn out as expected. I loved your method of description: "... interesting assortment of sentence fragments and beautifully-depicted imagery with immaculate phrasing." Ordinarily, I'd have had my antennae high up for the book were it not for those other issues. I'll just have to hold on for a revision. Thanks for intimating us on this!
Thanks for stopping by with the lovely insights! Appreciate it :)
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Quite an interesting mix including poetry and images. Sorry about the shortfalls though.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 23:46 Quite an interesting mix including poetry and images. Sorry about the shortfalls though.
Thank you for reading and for leaving a comment :)
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

There aren't many people who do well as poets and as novelists or short story writers, are there? I like the way you give credit to the over-arching concept, but I'll take your word on the overall level of merit.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 16:03 There aren't many people who do well as poets and as novelists or short story writers, are there? I like the way you give credit to the over-arching concept, but I'll take your word on the overall level of merit.
As always, I truly appreciate your taking the time to read and comment on my review. Cheers :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”