Official Review: Home Economics for Girls by JP Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Official Review: Home Economics for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Libs_Books »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Home Economics for Girls" by JP Wright.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Although Home Economics for Girls is firmly set in the 21st century, the title, with its echoes of a 1950s school textbook, cleverly gestures back to the world of the country house weekend party, that traditional setting of so many classic murder mysteries. The opening chapters teem with references to many famous fictional detectives, as well as to a certain well-known board game featuring candlesticks, lead piping and a creepy vicar.

We have two narrators: teenage V (Violet )Tickham and her younger sister, Tabitha Elodie, usually known as Kitty, but also referred to by her loving sister as 'the midge', 'la petite vache' (the little cow) and various other insults too numerous to mention (though she gives as good as she gets, by the way). Kitty is also the self-styled Great Detective. V narrates most of the story, with Kitty picking up any bits that her sister has missed. Actually, in chapters 5 to 7 there is a fair bit of repetition, as Kitty recounts, from her point of view, events most of which we have already heard about from V, with just a few gaps filled in. Entertaining as this was, I was glad the author did not make a habit of it.

The narrative plaits together a number of threads. Firstly, the mystery of how a magnificent home-made cake ended up splattered over the parsley patch. Secondly, the narrators' mother's attempts to revive the flagging family finances by running a murder mystery weekend in the faded magnificence of their country house home. Thirdly, V's intermittent last-minute attempts to prepare for an important practical assessment in “Home Ec” (otherwise known as Domestic Science, or Food and Nutrition). Finally, there is the story of family itself : the two girls, their mother and “the Bastard”, as V calls him. It doesn't take long to guess who “the Bastard” is … ah, but has he perhaps been unfairly maligned? Before the end of the book, dear reader, you will have a chance to decide this for yourself.

The narrative zips along with considerable zest: the pace in the early chapters is almost breathless as the jokes and one-liners come at dizzying speed. All this helps to endear us to V, who some might otherwise be tempted to consider a bit of a spoilt brat, and maybe even a snob. For example, it seems that, for her, the main downside of the family's problems is that they have necessitated the sale of her beloved pony and forced her to become a day girl, rather than a boarder, at her privileged private girls school. This results in her being ditched by her posh friends (undoubtedly hurtful, but perhaps they weren't such good friends anyway) and thereby 'stuck with' other day-girls and scholarship students (that is, those from poorer, lower-class families).

So, V is no saint, and she has some minor faults, too, as a narrator. She is not always entirely level with us, though we're talking sins of omission here, rather than outright lies. In the first instance, she does provide one or two hints that something important is being left unsaid, and I correctly guessed what was afoot before her confession, which is always flattering. The second piece of dishonesty relates to the ending. All I can say, without risking spoilers, is that I accepted the narrator's apology because I regarded the subsequent explanation as entirely satisfactory. All in all, V is a well-developed and well-rounded character. She reaches something of a crisis in the middle of the book, at which point the narrative pace changes, the sparkle fades briefly and her inner vulnerability is touchingly revealed.

Speaking of vulnerability, the blurb on Amazon describes this book as “one for daughters and their mothers” and I would certainly recommend adults sharing it with teenage children, since, although dealt with light-heartedly, there is enough serious material here to fuel some productive conversations. It would also be handy for at least one of the readers to be au fait with the kind of upper-class-Brit slang that comes spattered with gobbets of Latin and French, together with the occasional soupçon of Italian. Failing that, Google (or other search engine of choice) is your friend.

The book was well-structured and professionally edited. I only spotted one genuine error, aside from the amusing ones made in Kitty's narrative - she cannot quite match her sister's level of multilingual sophistication and occasionally gets words wrong such as 'are nouveau', 'blunderbust' and the police 'comfortable' (constable).

There was no one thing I liked best about the book, and nothing at all to dislike. It was so fresh and witty that I scarcely dared to believe that it could end in a way that preserved all those marvellous qualities – and yet it did. Full marks all round. I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and have to say that I shall be looking out for other books in the series, especially the sequel to this one.

Home Economics for Girls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Libs_Books's review? Post a comment saying so!
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

This sounds like a fun read. I like that the protagonist comes with major faults which the writer acknowledges. I can stand and even like a snobbish or selfish character but never when the book or script tries to sell them as saints.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Sounds like it was cleverly written! The characters seem fresh and at least relatable, and I enjoy a good mystery. Fabulous review - thank you!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I love that the narrator is holding out information from the reader. How sneaky of the author, and so fun at the same time! This book sounds like a fun roller coaster ride that needs to be continued on into another book. I enjoyed your review for all its great information. Thank you.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

qsusan wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 08:28This sounds like a fun read. I like that the protagonist comes with major faults which the writer acknowledges. I can stand and even like a snobbish or selfish character but never when the book or script tries to sell them as saints.
Yes, it is a fun read. I agree with what you say about faults as well - as in real life, people without faults just make me nervous! Thanks for dropping by.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

KLafser wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 10:08 Sounds like it was cleverly written! The characters seem fresh and at least relatable, and I enjoy a good mystery. Fabulous review - thank you!
Yes, it's a clever piece of work.
cpru68 wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 13:31 I love that the narrator is holding out information from the reader. How sneaky of the author, and so fun at the same time! This book sounds like a fun roller coaster ride that needs to be continued on into another book.
Yes, I wasn't even briefly cross, because it was just amusing.

Thanks to you both for reading the review and for your kind comments.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have to say that the cover and title put me off somewhat. Home economics was not my favourite class at school. I would much rather be doing woodwork like the boys.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Helen_Combe wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 15:34 Sounds like a lot of fun. I have to say that the cover and title put me off somewhat. Home economics was not my favourite class at school. I would much rather be doing woodwork like the boys.
I know what you mean - and me, too. I took a gamble on the cover being ironic - and it was, sort of - though, on so many levels, the book was about home economics. Thanks for commenting.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This book looks really fun! I love that it's written in the first person so you can really get a sense of how V feels.
And the police 'comfortable' - that's so cute. Thanks so much for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 02:37 This book looks really fun! I love that it's written in the first person so you can really get a sense of how V feels. And the police 'comfortable' - that's so cute. Thanks so much for the review!
Yes, there is a lot of fun and fair helping of cute. Thanks for reading and commenting.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I love that you picked up on the narrator's omissions and even found her explanation to be satisfactory. I feel that those little nuances make all the difference. What a terrific review; I am definitely interested in having a crack at this book myself.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

SABRADLEY wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:50 I love that you picked up on the narrator's omissions and even found her explanation to be satisfactory.
Well, she's fairly upfront about it, which I liked because so many detective narrators cheat and pretend they haven't. Thanks for your kind encouragement.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I excelled in Home Economics subject way back my elementary years. Baking was not included because there was no oven available in the school back then. Years after, I lost my interest in cooking since I concentrated in working for a living. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for the detailed review.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for sharing your memories and for commenting, Dolor.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Your review really does sell this book to the intended audience. Sounds like a fun read but I just know I won't get to it anytime soon. Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”