Official Review: The Gathering by Bernadette Giacomazzo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The Gathering by Bernadette Giacomazzo

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gathering" by Bernadette Giacomazzo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The entire system had been corrupted by the power of money, but he had been elected by the people. He would no longer be called Roger Cunningham. If they wanted to live to see another day they called him Emperor. Author Bernadette Giacomazzo tells the epic tale of the people who fought against a new oppressive power in the city they loved in The Gathering: Book One of The Uprising Series.

It was a life of sex, drugs, and rock and roll for the members of the rock band, Faust. Lead by the alluring Ivan Sapphire, Faust was beloved across the country. Life was a dream until the Emperor took over. Lives were lost, and Ivan Sapphire became Jamie Ryan again. A stage name was not needed without a stage.

The beautiful Evanora, step-daughter of the powerful Emperor, had never seen her biological father’s face. He died when she was a baby, and it seemed to Evanora that the Emperor wanted to completely erase her father’s existence. An explosion unexpectedly brought Evanora and Jamie together, and they learn that they share more than just a longing for freedom from the Emperor. The two become unlikely partners in the creation of the uprising. The fight for freedom and the restoration of New York City began.

I am a dystopian story skeptic because I feel like it has all been done. This story changed my mind. The plot is unlike any I have read before. Also, there are subtle allusions to the current state of the world. These allusions highlight how easily fiction can become reality.

The story is told with intermittent character flashbacks. This can cause confusion in many novels, but this is not the case here. This well-written story is easy to follow and understand. The characters are celebrities, so I did not find them to be relatable. I did, however, find them to be extremely likable. Evanora is intelligent and mature, and Jamie is a rockstar. Jamie absolutely possesses the charming rockstar magnetism. These well-developed characters have extensive backstories that make their motivation clear to the reader. On the other hand, I would have enjoyed more information on a few of the important supporting characters. I am longing to know more about the Emperor’s past and what truly drives him. Perhaps this information will be revealed in later installments of the series.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The story is written with understandable language, and this makes it very easy to follow from each moment to the next. A reader must not be offended by profanity to enjoy this novel. These rockstars speak as one would expect. Lovers of dystopian fiction will enjoy this book, and I highly recommend this novel to all fiction readers. There is one minor misspelling, but it caused no distraction. This expertly written page-turner kept me entertained from start to finish.

The Gathering
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Some people really do allow their power to go to their heads. Call him emperor? Oh my! This sounds like a good story to read. I'm just imagining the torture, corruption, money, greed, power and sex that goes on within this book. Most of all, I think I'm looking forward to the justice or payback. I enjoyed reading your review.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I like reading dystopian fiction perhaps particularly because it reminds us of our limitations. I know that the lust for power can take people's minds. When you mentioned the character in the book wanting to be called Emperor, I thought just about that. I appreciate the novelty of the plot and the subtle allussions to contemporary society. Thank you for all the information!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kinyaemulatyamatt
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: When Ice Cream is Not Enough
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinyaemulatyamatt.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by kinyaemulatyamatt »

Rodger cunningham seem to be an intricated leader with all kinds of atrocities emanating from him. I enjoyed the review and I hope I will enjoy reading the book too
Getlost
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Getlost »

It's good to read and some of my like is to read about dystopian fiction because in some of the story of dystopian fiction tell about limits and power of our minds.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I have not read much books with a genre of a dystopian fiction, but this one sounds interesting and I would love to fix my eyes on it sometime soon. Thanks for such an amazing review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Dystopian novels are my favorite! I love the cover on this one, too! Was there any explicit material in this book? I ask because you say it was a life of sex, drugs and rock and roll. I was just curious if it was implied or actually shown. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

hey, this sounds like a pretty good read. I don't mind dystopia, but can only do a little at a time. A big diet of that gets a little overwhelming! Thanks for the review on this book - I might try it when I'm in the mood!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Nassolo Erinah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nassolo Erinah »

Great thanx to author BERNADETTE for the fiction tale, and thanx to the emperor who helped to fight against the oppressive powers , it was more than sodoma and gomora in the bible , Erinah
ThijsNijenhuis
Currently Reading:

Post by ThijsNijenhuis »

Great review! Thank you.
Nassolo Erinah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nassolo Erinah »

Excellent book , it just reminds me about a sinful world which Jesus wiped off.hehe
ipemida4real

Post by ipemida4real »

wow, what an excellent book! It's really good to know that the entire system is corrupted by the power of money. Indeed money is the root of all evil
skalowag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by skalowag »

Great review, because of your review I started to read this book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”