Review by Supergirl1 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Review by Supergirl1 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Supergirl1 » 12 Apr 2018, 09:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strongheart is 272 pages of captivating historical fiction authored by Charlie Sheldon. It tells the story of a young teenage girl who gets dumped on her unsuspecting grandfather just when he was about embarking on a trip. She gets taken along with him on an experience that turns out to be the most wonderful and dangerous adventure of her life.

The story revolves around the indigenous people of North America and their struggle towards safeguarding their cultural heritage and sacred sites. In the book, one such site is on the verge of being desecrated by a major corporation that has managed to obtain an old mining claim by rather unfortunate means, and is determined to get rid of any obstacles that may stand in their way, even if such obstacles are human in nature.

The protagonist, Sarah is initially portrayed as a saucy, ornery teenager who is angry and defiant because she has no control over her life. The author goes on to develop her character into that of a strong young woman who is aptly named Strongheart by one of the tribe leaders, and she really lives up to that name.

It is a suspense filled, intriguing story with a magical time travel theme. Teenage Sarah goes back in time to become Strongheart, experiencing various hair-raising encounters on a perilous journey. The conspiracy and power play among ancient tribe leaders coupled with her having to learn and use a new yet extinct skill crucial to survival in the age where she finds herself will have you unable to put this book down.

I really like the way the book gives clear insight into the struggles of the indigenous people of North America towards recognition. It is logically sequenced, which makes the entire story easy to follow and understand. It also stirs up sympathy for a people who have to fight to keep safe the very land their ancestors were born in. I did not like the fact that they had to lose a very important artifact, it felt like desecration. But that just shows how engrossed I was in the story.

If you are a lover of inspiring stories and history, this is definitely a must have for your reading list. It is a very good book and I would recommend it to everybody, especially to teenagers and young adults. I am happy to give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a well put together and very carefully edited book. And I am totally rooting for Sarah to find another fossilized thrower.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”