Official Review: One Dolphin's Story by Stanley Minasian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: One Dolphin's Story by Stanley Minasian

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Dolphin's Story" by Stanley Minasian.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Living in a landlocked country, I miss the sea. There’s always something new to learn about the variety of ocean-dwelling species and their capabilities as observed by researchers. In his book One Dolphin’s Story: The Life and Times of an Eastern Tropical Pacific Spinner Dolphin, Stanley Michael Minasian introduces a new perspective. As noted in the preface to the book, scientists are supposed only to record observations without subjective interpretation. So if they notice dolphins helping an injured animal, they should refrain from characterizing this as altruism.

Minasian breaks free of these restrictions by turning observations about dolphins into fiction. The novel opens with the underwater birth of an unnamed female dolphin. Staying close to her mother at first, she moves on to playing with other herd members and develops the cooperative skills that the author says are the dolphin way. She survives the shark attacks that claim ailing and weaker dolphins, but life for the Eastern Tropical Pacific Spinners has begun to change. One day, her immediate family and many other herd members suffocate in a tuna net. Having saved a calf that was searching in vain for its mother, our heroine breaks free and joins the diminished herd again. How will they regroup?

The harrowing scene with the net is vividly depicted from the dolphin’s point of view. The author’s ability to ground the descriptions in a dolphin’s experience and understanding was impressive. He does also switch to an omniscient point of view, providing clarity about what is happening as well as commentary on how dolphins reflect and learn; unlike, say, turtles, they do not rely on instinct alone.

A scene where the dolphins play with a turtle is an example of the author’s excellent ability to impart scientific facts through the medium of a story. The dolphins stop spinning the turtle when they detect its increased heartbeat. I enjoyed learning about how they use echolocation to analyse other creatures’ insides, something they also perform on some humans who come to swim with them.

Our heroine uses body analysis to help determine that a human in the water is friendly. Another great thing about this book is that it has got me interested in swimming with dolphins. I had heard that this might be unpleasant for them. There is some truth in that, but it depends on various factors. The details are explained in the book and I encourage you to read it to find out more.

I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys animal stories and informative fiction. It might not appeal if those things are not to your taste. As I found so much to admire in it, and no real shortcomings, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It’s written in a clear style with short chapters. In that connection, it could also be enjoyed by children from about age 10 upwards, with a couple of caveats. The typos weren’t excessive but included some English teachers’ pet peeves like ‘it’s’ instead of ‘its’ and ‘loose’ instead of ‘lose’. Errors in books could be confusing for children. Also, some scenes are upsetting; they made me tear up.

This is because the ocean world depicted by Minasian has its perils as well as its pleasures. Death and danger are of course always part of wild animals’ lives. The dangers in this book, however, go beyond those in the natural order of things. The story highlights the man-made threat to dolphins posed by tuna nets, drawing attention to human-induced damage in general. The book includes a list of organizations working for the protection of dolphins. Overall, this is a delightful, informative, and highly recommended read.

One Dolphin's Story
View: on Bookshelves

Like ButterscotchCherrie's review? Post a comment saying so!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am always an advocate of thinking outside the box and seeing things from a different perspective. Why not add a dolphin's perspective to a broader understanding of the world? I appreciate the fact that the book is both entertaining and informative. Thank you for a detailed review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like a really informative and entertaining book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

cristinaro wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 03:53 I am always an advocate of thinking outside the box and seeing things from a different perspective. Why not add a dolphin's perspective to a broader understanding of the world? I appreciate the fact that the book is both entertaining and informative. Thank you for a detailed review!
Yes, it was an interesting idea and the author pulled it off well. Thanks for your response.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Helen_Combe wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 03:56 Great review, it sounds like a really informative and entertaining book.
I loved the way it was scientific and a story at the same time. Thanks for your response!
Mod
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love the concept of this story but then again, I love observing the behavior of dolphins whenever I get the chance to do so.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

CatInTheHat wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 16:34 I love the concept of this story but then again, I love observing the behavior of dolphins whenever I get the chance to do so.
I learned so much about their behaviour from this. The neat thing is I believe it's all based on things that were actually observed! Thanks for reading and replying.
Mod
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Your review sounds like the author did a good job of mixing reality with a little fiction. I am tenderhearted toward all animals, like dolphins, so I would have cried right along with you at whatever spot made that emotion come. It seems the author took good care to formulate this story to really reach the audience not only for education but to open up awareness of the meaningfulness that our creatures around us possess. This sounds like a wonderful book for young and old alike. Thank you for your review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

cpru68 wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 19:38 Your review sounds like the author did a good job of mixing reality with a little fiction. I am tenderhearted toward all animals, like dolphins, so I would have cried right along with you at whatever spot made that emotion come. It seems the author took good care to formulate this story to really reach the audience not only for education but to open up awareness of the meaningfulness that our creatures around us possess. This sounds like a wonderful book for young and old alike. Thank you for your review.
One thing I was touched by was the mothers' love for their calves. Thanks for your response!
Mod
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Dolphins are such fascinating creatures. They are always depicted as being so clever and loving.

This sounds like a really incredible book with vivid imagery and new information for those of us who don't know much about the lives of dolphins. Great review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

kfwilson6 wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 20:57 Dolphins are such fascinating creatures. They are always depicted as being so clever and loving.

This sounds like a really incredible book with vivid imagery and new information for those of us who don't know much about the lives of dolphins. Great review.
It includes a lot of information about all the things they manage to do. Thanks for your response!
Mod
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book includes unique information about sea animals, especially dolphins. Dolphin is the most lovely creature of sea. I like this book. Thanks for your thorough review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 10:31 This book includes unique information about sea animals, especially dolphins. Dolphin is the most lovely creature of sea. I like this book. Thanks for your thorough review.
Yes, there's lots of cool information in it. Thanks for reading and replying!
Mod
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This is because the ocean world depicted by Minasian has its perils as well as its pleasures. Death and danger are of course always part of wild animals’ lives. The dangers in this book, however, go beyond those in the natural order of things. The story highlights the man-made threat to dolphins posed by tuna nets, drawing attention to human-induced damage in general. The book includes a list of organizations working for the protection of dolphins. Overall, this is a delightful, informative, and highly recommended read.
I think this is an absolutely brilliant technique to raise awareness about the perils that animals suffer in the hands of humans.
Creating a fictional story might help create much more empathy than a purely scientific book.
You wrote a great and engaging review about quite an unusual book, congratulations.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Lunastella wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 19:41
I think this is an absolutely brilliant technique to raise awareness about the perils that animals suffer in the hands of humans.
Creating a fictional story might help create much more empathy than a purely scientific book.
You wrote a great and engaging review about quite an unusual book, congratulations.
Yes, the book highlighted the conservation situation very well in a fictional way. Thank you for commenting!
Mod

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”