Official Review: Eight Thousand Miles to Midtown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Eight Thousand Miles to Midtown

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eight Thousand Miles to Midtown" by Jamie Milloy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Enough is enough. Dahlia had always been the typical rich party girl, but on this day, with the taste of alcohol-induced vomit in her mouth, she decides that she is done. Many factors contributed to her decision to start a new life, but the most important factor was the positive pregnancy test in her bathroom. Author Jamie Milloy tells Dahlia’s story of growth in Eight Thousand Miles to Midtown.

Money had never been an issue, but outward appearances were of the utmost importance to the Winston-Blacque family. So, Dahlia’s pregnancy would be an issue. The father was a married man with a family that he had no intentions of leaving. Abortion was not an option. Dahlia would become a mother. Step one was to remove the prescription (and nonprescription) drugs floating around in her system. Next, she had to get away from her family and friends. They would be of no help to her.

Coping with the painful symptoms of withdrawal, Dahlia boards a plane going anywhere but here. There must be a better way of life. Dahlia travels across the heartland of the United States. The people she meets and her unexpected experiences give Dahlia cause to consider that her former life of luxury wasn’t a fulfilling life after all.

I love the premise of this story. This rich party girl living in a pampered bubble finally comes face-to-face with reality. Dahlia is a very well-developed character. She is just flawed enough to be relatable, and her family life makes her bad behavior somewhat understandable. This is a story about growth. Each new experience is a valuable lesson for Dahlia. While I found each of Dahlia’s newfound relationships to be important, the development of these relationships lacked adequate time and detail. Lasting relationships take time to create, and as a reader, I would have enjoyed reading the details of that creation. Dahlia seemed to make a best friend for life in one night many times in this story.

This is a well-written novel. There were a few missing and misspelled words in the book, but these errors did not cause distractions. The story flowed seamlessly from scene to scene creating a pleasant reading experience. I recommend this book to fiction readers who enjoy coming-of-age stories.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few grammar errors, and the development of many important relationships was rushed. Nevertheless, I was entertained by Dahlia’s story from start to finish. Eight Thousand Miles to Midtown is a story that proves that family isn’t always bonded by blood.

Eight Thousand Miles to Midtown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It sounds like some valuable lessons are conveyed through this story. Major changes in life, whether we choose them or not, are often the catalyst for reevaluating values and choices. It seems this was the case for Dahlia. Thanks for another well-done review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound like a good story on which to base a book. However, I just don't think it would be my cup of tea. I would like to see how Dahlia leaves behind the party lifestyle, but not enough to read the book. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Haha, I found myself saying "Oh Boy!" at the beginning of the review but truly it is very interesting. What captivated me the most was contribution of the flawed characters that make this book great. It sounds like a page turner and the story line captivated me instantly. Thank you for your delightful review that I read for today and this book is definitely going on my shelf!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

JessNWheeler wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 13:53 This rich party girl living in a pampered bubble finally comes face-to-face with reality. Dahlia is a very well-developed character. She is just flawed enough to be relatable, and her family life makes her bad behavior somewhat understandable. This is a story about growth.
All that sounds terrific - it's a pity that the relationships she makes aren't well developed, but sounds like this author is worth keeping an eye on. Lovely well-balanced review, as usual.
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

This sounds really interesting. I like the way you set the scene. You use very vivid descriptions and seem empathetic.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

The premise of the story sounds promising, a well written book automatically becomes more appealing than other books. Your review sounds interesting and insightful. Keep writing!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”