Review by jennibabe31 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
jennibabe31
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by jennibabe31 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by jennibabe31 » 11 Apr 2018, 09:28

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles was a finalist in both the 2011 and 2012 William Faulkner- William Wisdom Creative Writing Competition. This is a coming of age story about an orphan who was born into money, and the family and friends he will make along the way. There are good people and bad people, but they will all play a part in the direction this orphan's life goes.

Darwin Hastings was orphaned as a child and lived with his aunt until her medical problems meant she could no longer care for him. He was then sent to live with his cousin, Luther Pinnelli, who he has only met twice in his life. Luther is a famous football player, who is known just as well for his bad ways off the field. Darwin meets Dr. Adrian Malverne on his way to Luthers'. Dr. Malverne and his family play a big part of Darwins' life, as well as Luther's girlfriend, Sweeney, and the rest of Luther's staff. There are good people and bad people as well as good times and bad times. Darwin has money, but will need to learn that money isn't everything. He will experience violence, love, heartache, grief, and many more things along the way.

I loved that Darwin had to experience good and bad throughout this story and he knows that money isn't everything. Darwin experienced the loss of his parents, as well as being treated cruelly by Luther at the beginning and still managed to find the people he needed to help him get ahead. This showed people that no matter what, you can make it through anything.

There are little pictures between different sections of the book. At first, I enjoyed these as a little viewing to what was coming. But then some of the pictures became unrecognizable or didn't make sense to what I read. An example of this would be the section with the boat accident. I couldn't identify this picture until after I had read the section. This was really the only flaw I found in the book.

Even with the couple of flaws I found I rated Guardian of Deceit a 4 out of 4 stars. I couldn't give it less than four stars due to how the author drew you into the book. I didn't want to put it down. I would suggest this book to anyone who likes other fiction or even to young adults in the older teenage range.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like jennibabe31's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”