Official Review: The Karma Chronicles Part I

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: The Karma Chronicles Part I

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Karma Chronicles Part I" by Pepper Carlson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Karma Chronicles Part 1: Hadrian’s Seal by Pepper Carlson is the first installation in a planned trilogy. The author hopes to publish part 2 sometime this summer and is currently working on part 3. Part 1 ends with a cliffhanger where Part 2 would probably start.

This story follows Kate, a girl who seems to have inherited a daunting karmic debt from Hadrian. Kate’s twin died at birth but as she was dying she had a vision of Kate’s life and realized that Kate would need her help throughout life. So, she cried out for angels to help her in this task and lo, and behold, four Archangels came to her aid. The archangels, namely Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Zadkiel, and Uriel, assist Kate’s twin to watch over her sister but that does not mean that Kate is free of harm. Thus, what is being done to help her and why is such a stellar team of archangels assigned to assist her in life?

I was glad that I was able to read this book in a few hours. It is a little under 150 pages and is composed of a brief prologue and ten chapters. The story is narrated by Kate’s twin. There are also many beautifully penned poems throughout the book that the Archangel Uriel wrote or inspired Kate to write. In my opinion, these were the highlights of the story. There were not any grammatical or formatting errors to complain about, so I believe this was professionally edited. Overall the book was very well written.

However, there were a few things that I viewed as demerits. The author could have done a better job when it came to the character development department. Kate’s mother, Paige, was referred to as the “Genius Mother” numerous times throughout the book. She was shown to be a smart student in school, but she never finished high school to pursue a relationship with the father of her children, Alex. Alex, in turn, was constantly referred to as “the street kid”, even as a man in his 30s. The archangels were introduced as, “celestial angelic angels”.I was not able to connect with many of the characters. This is a subjective point because I believe that readers who have gone through some of the unfortunate circumstances that Kate went through may be able to better relate to this story.

This story featured Howard Wills, a spiritual teacher. I find his teachings to be seemingly positive, but it is like he wants to lead you to “the light” of God without mentioning Jesus Christ. I am also not a believer in the karmic debt so I view this book as pure fiction.

In conclusion, I rate The Karma Chronicles Part 1 3 out of 4 stars. The book was an enjoyable read overall but I cannot give it full stars because I was not inspired to want to continue the series. I recommend this to persons who are interested in a short novel that features awesome poetry.

The Karma Chronicles Part I
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Valkey+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valkey+ »

Your review has moved me, to grab the book, will begin reading in a few
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this would be my type of book. It's a bit too "out there" for me. There's a bit more spirituality than I tend to enjoy in my fiction books. Still, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it to some extent. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love spiritual and supernatural events and stories, therefore I am interested in this book. Many of us have experienced the supernatural and should, therefore, be able to relate to this story.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

First, I was moved by the name of the book but it turned out to be different as to what I expected. The story line sounds dry and I couldn't agree with you more on how the author could have done a better job. Thank you for your detailed review but I will pass this for now!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm not surprised that you found it difficult to connect with characters as I imagine it would be difficult to present archangels as relatable characters at a human level. I'm glad you found the book enjoyable, but I don't think it would appeal to me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”