Official Review: An Irish Lullaby by Louis Michael Manzo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: An Irish Lullaby by Louis Michael Manzo

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Irish Lullaby" by Louis Michael Manzo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An Irish Lullaby by Louis Michael Manzo is a fiction novel that explores the concepts of faith, forgiveness, and personal growth. Although the narrative is presented in third-person omniscient, we primarily follow Father Sean O’Connor, an elderly priest at St. Aloysius Parish in Jersey City, NJ. Nearing the end of his long tenure in the priesthood, Father O’Connor finds himself looking to rekindle his glory days when he felt more needed and more significant in the world.

The book opens with a teenage girl undergoing a late-term abortion at a family planning clinic. Aubrey Fitzgibbon, President of the Board at the clinic, has become a personal support system to the girl and agrees to be present for the procedure. Aubrey’s career, along with her role in the teen's abortion, contravenes Catholic canon law. The plot thickens as Aubrey-a parishioner of St. Aloysius, with important connections to the church-has an unwanted pregnancy of her own to deal with.

Initially, I was unsure about the author's choice for the narrative’s point-of-view but soon discovered its efficiency in unveiling the thoughts and feelings of the characters as they interact with one another. The reader is allowed to nestle into the mind’s eye of the supporting characters which alleviates the need for excessive dialogue. The author does a fantastic job of developing the characters, especially the protagonist, Father O'Connor, who is a very believable miscellany of traits. A truly quirky combination of mischievous and old-fashioned, Father O'Connor’s endearing mannerisms captured my heart at the onset and never let go. The author also has an aptitude for drawing emotion out of the reader; I found myself laughing out loud at times and shedding tears at other times. This book is a story of hope, faith, love, deception, forgiveness, and pain. It is real-life.

I noted a handful of minor grammatical discrepancies, which did nothing to detract from my reading experience. The only area for improvement I can think to offer is to decrease the number of lulls in the story. There are stretches of pages where nothing of interest is happening, which creates a temporary disengagement from the story. These were the times I also felt the author’s writing became slightly more perfunctory.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I enjoyed the writing, the premise, and the character development. If half stars were an option, I would rate this book 3.5 stars because I feel there is a little room for improvement in certain respects, but I feel confident in providing a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

An Irish Lullaby
View: on Bookshelves

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m not thrilled at the abortion content, but the real-life themes that you mention are appealing. The third-person omniscient point of view is not utilized very often and would be interesting to engage with. I appreciate your insightful review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

stacie k wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 01:04 I’m not thrilled at the abortion content, but the real-life themes that you mention are appealing. The third-person omniscient point of view is not utilized very often and would be interesting to engage with. I appreciate your insightful review!
Hi,
Yes, the abortion content was difficult for me as well. The opening scene is graphic to those types of sensitivities, but fortunately, it is the only scene that might carry a content "warning".
Thank you for commenting! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Due to the sensitivity of the opening scene, I doubt I'll pick this up. But, I did enjoy reading your review, and I like the themes presented in this one. But, when I'm reading a book like this, I'm more looking for a "light" read. It doesn't sound like this is it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 08:50 Due to the sensitivity of the opening scene, I doubt I'll pick this up. But, I did enjoy reading your review, and I like the themes presented in this one. But, when I'm reading a book like this, I'm more looking for a "light" read. It doesn't sound like this is it.
Hi,
Yep, I totally understand what you mean and I think your assessment is spot on. Thanks for reading my review and for the compliment :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It appeals to me because anyone could be faced with such a dilemma. The very things that we ruefully detest and openly condemn could come to stare us in the face.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 02:42 It appeals to me because anyone could be faced with such a dilemma. The very things that we ruefully detest and openly condemn could come to stare us in the face.
Hi,
Thank you for reading and commenting! :)
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thank you for this review - the book sounds really interesting and one that I might consider reading at some point. I appreciated your analysis of the author's narrative method.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 04:38 Thank you for this review - the book sounds really interesting and one that I might consider reading at some point. I appreciated your analysis of the author's narrative method.
Hi,
It's nice to hear from you again. I appreciate the feedback...thanks for reading.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”