Official Review: The Color of Truth by Stacy Monson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Official Review: The Color of Truth by Stacy Monson

Post by EMoffat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Color of Truth" by Stacy Monson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Color of Truth by Stacy Monson is a heartwarming tale of two downcast souls finding their way in this harsh world through their Faith. A tale of sorrow, hope, belief, and strength - it demonstrates the kindness of strangers, and the depth of human compassion.

The story follows two lives as it unfolds. The first tale is of Marti – a young woman who cannot catch a break from her unfortunate life. With an alcoholic mother and a father in jail, she had to learn to fend for herself and her baby sister at a very young age. It is her younger sister, Katie, who drives her. She hopes that when Katie turns 18 she will move out of her foster home and they can be together again. As she struggles through life she finds herself caught up with a bad man, and she is doing everything in her power to stay on track. When her world literally comes crashing down around her, it is strangers that become friends and fear that becomes faith. Will this be enough to save her?

The second figure in the book is Sam Evans. Sam's life was shaken up when his wife had an affair and left him for another man. He spiraled in to a dark place and could not see a way back to the light. When he meets Marti his world changes. He wants to help her get her life on track as well as his own. As their relationship blossoms the secrets of their past are revealed. Will his faith and trust in her be enough to overlook what has come to light?

The Color of Truth begins with a brutal opening chapter. This really grabbed my attention and pulled me forward. I thought that the rest of the book would follow a similar trend, but after the initial shock factor it turns in to a nice story. I did enjoy the book, however, I thought that the dialog at times was forced and stilted. The conversations didn't feel natural and the character development was a little unrealistic. The ages of Marti and Sam were confusing, and I believe they could have used a more detailed backstory. Although, I did find it a moving tale, it was also predictable. I had already figured out the ending about one quarter of the way in to the book, and this took away the mystery and intrigue for me.

The negatives aside it was still a good read. It is a motivational and moving story, and a perfect read for a cold stormy day. I also found it very interesting to read as a person who is not religious. The book has a strong focus on Faith and God, and I was unsure if I would be able to appreciate it. However, it is a subtle touch to the story and not shoved in your face, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting to see the different perspectives, and why the characters believed, was educational and eye-opening.

Overall, I would give The Color of Truth 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the journey with Marti and Sam, and I felt invested in their story. I also enjoyed the religious aspect of the tale, and the underlying message of kindness. The characters showed grace and empathy, especially towards strangers, and I believe this is a very valuable lesson. The only downside for me was the predictability of the story and this is why it did not receive 4 stars.

The Color of Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like EMoffat's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m really drawn to the kindness and compassion shown in this story. Despite its predictability, I think I would enjoy learning about Marti and Sam’s lives. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks for reading it :). It is still a lovely tale despite the predictability and I would recommend giving it a read.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Sounds like an emotional story. I like that the authir infuses matters of faith into the young people's lives.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks for your comment. It was a different read for me but I enjoyed that aspect also
T-Tam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by T-Tam »

Thanks for the review EMoffat! It sounds like a feel-good book, a good pick-me-up. I often find that in life faith and God work in subtle touches... sometimes you just have to look closer to see it!
EMoffat

Post by EMoffat »

Thanks for the comment and nice words T-Tam!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”