Official Review: The Mind Reader by David singer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The Mind Reader by David singer

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mind Reader" by David singer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Finker tried to ignore the tremor in his hand, but as a dentist, this was no easy task. He hadn’t planned to retire at sixty-five, but unfortunately, he was left with no other choice. Dr. Finker was quite certain that his tremors are the symptoms of a neurological disorder. He feared that without treatment he would suffer from far worse symptoms in the future. Author David Singer tells the story of Dr. Finker as he searches for answers and a cure for his troubling affliction in The Mind Reader.

Dr. Finker and his wife traveled to Brazil to seek the help of spiritual healers. These healers had received mixed reviews. Some were respected, and some were considered quacks, but Dr. Finker was determined to find answers. He found himself under the care of a healer by the name of John of God. This healer worked quickly, and when Dr. Finker left John of God’s shack his tremor was gone! This should have been the time for celebration, but there was a problem. Dr. Finker could read the thoughts of the people around him.

At first, Dr. Finker keeps his ability a secret from everyone, and he does what he can to suppress it. However, Dr. Finker soon feels the need to discuss this curious situation with a trusted friend. Michael urges Dr. Finker to use his newly acquired power for good causes. His decision to help those in need sends Dr. Finker on an adventure that changes his life forever.

This is a well-written story. It is exciting and engaging from the start. The reader is swept away to many different countries and cultures in a thrilling set of circumstances. I anxiously awaited the start of each of Dr. Finker’s new adventures. He approached each task with the best of intentions which made him a likable and trustworthy character. I enjoy stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things, and this story did not disappoint. There was one minor grammar error, but it did not cause a distraction. The story seamlessly transitioned between scenes creating a pleasant reading experience.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to science fiction readers. This is a story that asks the reader to let go of reality and enjoy the ride. I had a hard time with the foreign diplomacy conversations in this book. I lost interest in those moments. However, the story quickly recovered, and the action resumed. After reading The Mind Reader, one is left considering the potential benefits and consequences of knowing what others are truly thinking.

The Mind Reader
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want that gift of reading minds! This is such an interesting premise for a book! I’m interested to see how Dr. Finker will use his powers for good. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

This sounds like a book I may enjoy. Thanks for the review
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

stacie k wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 01:16 I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want that gift of reading minds! This is such an interesting premise for a book! I’m interested to see how Dr. Finker will use his powers for good. Thanks for a great review!
I agree. I wouldn’t want the gift either. Thanks for reading my review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
JessNWheeler

Post by JessNWheeler »

trajoe1206 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 17:05 This sounds like a book I may enjoy. Thanks for the review
Thanks for reading my review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”