Official Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
VictoriaMcMillen
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Official Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen » 05 Apr 2018, 00:34

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Making Of A Soldier" by Adriene Odom.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Making of a Soldier reads like an autobiographical, self-help book for followers of the Christian faith or those striving to. It is listed in the family and relationships genre. The tenacious veteran, Adriene Odom, is the author of this definite eye-opener. The short book quickly brings us through many of the hardships she has faced, as she allowed herself to be molded by the hands of God. The author is hoping she can help other women to also see their worth, in the eyes of God, and in themselves.

Deployed on a tour in Afghanistan, the author is terrified and plagued with flashbacks of the traumatic life she left behind. From childhood, she consistently faced adversity and turned to God for consolation and direction. A hard life can make for a broken soul, a wavering faith at times. We can stumble and make many mistakes. Several times, the author finds herself in out-of-control situations and learns to turn it over to God. Through her faith, she is able to make positive changes in life. The struggles she faced were some that many women today can identify with such as death, rape, domestic violence, and even abortion. Not to mention, the lack of trust and depression that follows such traumas.

The book raises the hot-topic issues of sins that some may believe to be inexcusable. It must have taken a great deal, to put these stories on paper and share them with the world. Many believe they cannot be forgiven or are not worth forgiveness. This woman’s journey and faith in God was able to help her to feel forgiveness for those sins, to move past them. I enjoyed this theme of the story and believe others will too. It is very likely, that this book will help someone who needs to hear they are forgiven; they have a chance and a choice.

The book’s introduction was longer than most of its chapters. After reading the book, I honestly thought that it was too much of a summary and more should have gone directly into the chapters. My advice, to readers, is to skip the introduction and get to the full story right away, either way, it’s up to you. I found the book to only have some minor grammatical errors. Otherwise, the book is well written and quite the page-turner. You can sense the author’s motive is NOT to have you take pity on her but to share just enough to help you realize that God can help you survive anything. I expected to see more detail in some instances but understand that enough was divulged to make an impact. I believe had some of the author’s stories been more detailed they would have been a much more powerful, impactful.

The book, as it is, will have a lasting effect on me as it was terrifyingly personal. I found myself relieved that she was able to find guidance from God. The mental strength that can come from a belief in a higher power is a great tool to use in healing from trauma. Within my Human Services background, we are trained to support client’s cultural and religious beliefs as a positive coping mechanism. In a time of high rates of violence against women, literature like this is greatly needed.

I am rating the book The Making of a Soldier 3 out of 4 stars. The novel was a quick and enjoyable read, at roughly 64 pages total, but no doubt a highly impactful one. Had the author given more depth and if there were no grammar issues, the book would have earned the 4 stars. The author’s intentions were well received, when you have faith in something higher than yourself, you can survive anything. The book did have some graphic violence with the abuses that she endured through her life. I would recommend this book for adults, adolescent women, anyone struggling with their faith, and possibly believe they have gone too far to be saved.

The Making Of A Soldier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like VictoriaMcMillen's review? Post a comment saying so!
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: Cry For Rain by Melineh Petrosian

Post by stacie k » 08 Apr 2018, 00:24

What a strong woman the author is! I’m glad she was willing to share such personal stories to benefit other women. We all could benefit from the truths (such as forgiveness) and inspiration this book has to offer. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Mercy Bolo
2018 Reading Goal: 144
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Legend of Badger Claw by Harry Simpson

Post by Mercy Bolo » 08 Apr 2018, 08:52

I like it when self-help books are brief and to the point. The author did get this right. Her sharing her personal story adds a realistic touch to the words.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books » 10 Apr 2018, 12:33

Thanks for the review. This book sounds powerful, and potentially very moving, but I'm just a bit confused about its status. You describe it as autobiographical, but it's listed as 'other fiction'. So, is it a case of 'mainly true, but names have been changed' or do you think that some of the episodes have been invented? Are the author and the book's narrator actually one and the same person?

KLafser
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser » 10 Apr 2018, 16:38

It's really tough to put the 'hard stuff' out there, what a brave person. Very thoughtful review!

VictoriaMcMillen
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen » 10 Apr 2018, 21:33

Libs_Books wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 12:33
Thanks for the review. This book sounds powerful, and potentially very moving, but I'm just a bit confused about its status. You describe it as autobiographical, but it's listed as 'other fiction'. So, is it a case of 'mainly true, but names have been changed' or do you think that some of the episodes have been invented? Are the author and the book's narrator actually one and the same person?
Yes, The author and narrator are one in the same. I also believe you are correct in assuming the names have been changed. The author explains that this is her story and see is sharing it in hopes of helping others. Thanks for your comment. I hope this clears the confusion.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books » 11 Apr 2018, 01:15

VictoriaMcMillen wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:33
I hope this clears the confusion.
Yes, thank you.

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty by Terra Kern
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 12 Apr 2018, 08:48

This is an excellent review. I really like the author's motive for writing this book and agree that many people struggle to realize that EVERY sin is forgiven. The author is a brave woman for sharing her struggles in order to strongly convey this message. This sounds like a difficult book to read, but sometimes you need to read difficult things because they will touch your heart in a way you wouldn't expect.

Thank you for writing this review. I saw this book on my list of options to review but wasn't quite sure what it was about. Your review cleared up all of my confusion.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”