Official Review: The Love Fool by Lorenzo Petruzziello

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: The Love Fool by Lorenzo Petruzziello

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Love Fool" by Lorenzo Petruzziello.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

People say that we are all fools when it comes to love. We make dumb decisions when we fall really hard for a person and continue to chase after them despite it being clear that they have no real interest in us whatsoever. This does not apply to everyone, of course, but this concept is what I deem slightly similar in the case of the main character in “The Love Fool”.

Lorenzo Petruzziello’s “The Love Fool” is a story set in Rome revolving around a publicist named Alex Corso. Having recently moved to Italy because of a job opportunity, Alex receives his first client Pernille Bjørn, a beautiful Danish chef with a great, lively personality. However, Alex soon has his life turned upside-down by the appearance of Emily, a girl in his past whom he hadn’t heard from in almost a decade.

What I liked about the book was that the author did a good job with his descriptions. I felt like I could visualize Italy itself from his writing and I could also imagine what the characters were doing in a certain scene as well as their facial expressions. Alex's job was especially interesting to me and I liked it because he was always looking out for Pernille like a protective brother. He didn't treat her like she was a part of his work and I appreciated that.

On the other hand, I can’t say much about the implied comedic scenes that were written in the book. Perhaps it’s because I’m a person who doesn’t laugh so easily, but I could only mostly feel frustration and disappointment when I read through the story, especially the part when Emily arrived. Even though it’s implied by the title itself, I did not like how Alex acted every time he was with Emily. The latter’s personality in particular was keeping me on edge the whole time because I kept on doubting her intentions.

All in all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Despite some monotonous parts in the book that I came across along with a few errors and typos, I truly enjoyed the story since it kept me engaged until the end. I also have to mention how I was caught off-guard by the ending. I still can't believe that that kind of twist even happened! I really didn't even see it coming! Remembering the chaotic scene near the end still makes me feel incredulous and amused at the same time.

Regarding recommendations, I think this book is perfect for those who prefer a good story that they can get sucked into. On the other hand, this wouldn't be particularly immersing for those who prefer heavy drama.

The Love Fool
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Aubrey Cana Laine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's fascinating to see how the publicist who is like a love expert get stun by Emily. Past always chase like a shadow, this is one such tale. I think I will check this out. Thank you for sharing this book and for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Good descriptions can really make or break a story, so I'm glad that those were well done. Especially since I've never been to Italy, and I would really love to go! As for the comedic scenes, I'd probably find myself pretty much as you did. It takes a lot for me to find something funny. Still, it sounds like a worthy read. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Hmm! Now you have me wondering what this twist in the end was. I think it is the sort of book I will enjoy reading and I like the fact that the author is very good at descriptions, which I am not. I might pick up a tip or two from reading this book. Thanks for a detailed and well-written review!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

If I can’t jump on a plane to go to Italy, I can at least read about it. It sounds from your review that the author is knowledge about that part of the world..so much so that you could visualize it. I’m not big in to romance type work, but your description of the ending leaves me to question that now. Thank you for the good details of this work.
Everything happens for a reason...
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Sounds like an interesting book, my attention was grabbed when I saw the cover. However, reading the review has left me even more interested. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Jeramie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jeramie »

Hmmm its interesting story even i read only the twist
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That's an intriguing review - you make the story sound quite enjoyable, even if the comedy side was a bit of a let-down.
Victors
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victors »

Aubrey, your review was amazing, I felt like I read the book reading your review, I need to buy some books to read, hopefully sooner than later
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m drawn to the setting of this book, especially since you mention the author does a good job with descriptions. I also notice that the cover is cleverly designed with a catchy subtitle. It’s too bad that the comedic scenes fell flat in your estimation. Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 07:49 Good descriptions can really make or break a story, so I'm glad that those were well done. Especially since I've never been to Italy, and I would really love to go! As for the comedic scenes, I'd probably find myself pretty much as you did. It takes a lot for me to find something funny. Still, it sounds like a worthy read. Thanks!
Nice to know that we have something in common. Thanks for reading my review!
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 07:27 It's fascinating to see how the publicist who is like a love expert get stun by Emily. Past always chase like a shadow, this is one such tale. I think I will check this out. Thank you for sharing this book and for the review!
Thank you. And I agree that the past really is like a shadow. Hope you'll enjoy the book!
CambaReviewer wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 11:04 Hmm! Now you have me wondering what this twist in the end was. I think it is the sort of book I will enjoy reading and I like the fact that the author is very good at descriptions, which I am not. I might pick up a tip or two from reading this book. Thanks for a detailed and well-written review!
Yes, in my opinion, the descriptions done by the author really made me visualize the scenes better. I think you'll enjoy the book once you read it!
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

holsam_87 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 20:35 Sounds like an interesting book, my attention was grabbed when I saw the cover. However, reading the review has left me even more interested. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
The cover is pretty eye-catching, if you ask me. The funny thing is that the cover is also based on some scenes in the book, so it does have a connection nonetheless.
cpru68 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 11:18 If I can’t jump on a plane to go to Italy, I can at least read about it. It sounds from your review that the author is knowledge about that part of the world..so much so that you could visualize it. I’m not big in to romance type work, but your description of the ending leaves me to question that now. Thank you for the good details of this work.
Yeah, I think the author mentioned that he lived in Italy for some time. Thank you and I hope you'll try out the book!
Jeramie wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 10:15 Hmmm its interesting story even i read only the twist
Libs_Books wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 04:30 That's an intriguing review - you make the story sound quite enjoyable, even if the comedy side was a bit of a let-down.
I did enjoy the story nevertheless, and besides, I think I'm just not a person who laughs easily, so... Anyway, I hope you'll check out the book and thanks for reading my review!
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Victors wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 08:37 Aubrey, your review was amazing, I felt like I read the book reading your review, I need to buy some books to read, hopefully sooner than later
Thank you so much for thinking so! I'm looking forward to knowing your thoughts about the book soon.
stacie k wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 21:28 I’m drawn to the setting of this book, especially since you mention the author does a good job with descriptions. I also notice that the cover is cleverly designed with a catchy subtitle. It’s too bad that the comedic scenes fell flat in your estimation. Thanks for your informative review!
Yes, I think he did a great job, in my opinion. I also agree that the cover for his book is really eye-catching since it's what caught my attention in the first place along with the summary. Thank you for reading my review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love descriptive stories and I am a sucker for love stories. The title, the book cover and the review are very effective at conveying the author's thoughts.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Now I'm intrigued about the twist and ending you're talking about but you did not clearly say if this is a love triangle story. I also like books with good descriptions that I can easily imagine the characters' action and facial expressions.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”