Official Review: The Last Baronet by Caroline Akrill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: The Last Baronet by Caroline Akrill

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Baronet" by Caroline Akrill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What could be more entertaining then piling a bunch of strangers into a baronial hall turned country hotel? Caroline Akrill’s novel The Last Baronet takes us on a wild adventure of tragedy, murder, comedy, and a few very unexpected surprises. You can expect your emotions to be flung all over the English country side, although it is much more enjoyable than it sounds.

While financial turmoil is the reason behind the baronial hall being turned into a country hotel, it isn’t just money that is gained throughout this adventure, we are able to witness the discovery of oneself, families reunited, and so much more. Throughout The Last Baronet we are introduced to a slew of characters, including the last Baronet himself. Each character is given an incredible back story and reason for why they so desire to spend their Christmas holiday away from home; while some may want to escape the reality of their lives, others want to grow closer as a family, and still others use it as a way to plot heinous crimes. One will never be able to guess what happens next!

Caroline Akrill’s writing style is richly colorful, I felt as if I were running around the English country side, which has always been a dream of mine. The novel was written in a third person perspective, giving it a seamless flow from one character to the next. It also had the feel of a professionally edited novel, if it had any mistakes they were so minor that they were easily ignored. The authors character development was incredible, every character from the main families down to the most lowly of the secondary were fully and richly developed. The animals themselves were beautifully described and were given such vivid personalities that I could imagine playing with them myself.

There really wasn’t much that I didn’t enjoy about this novel, it was well written and thought out, the characters were believable, and the descriptions were beautiful. Occasionally there was a spot that I felt like I was kind of muddling through, but they were fairly few and far between. Overall it was a thoroughly enjoyable novel that I believe many people will come to love

This novel was definitely full of adventure, mischief, and family bonding over some Christmas cheer. If you’re looking for a book to warm your heart while keeping you on your toes, then The Last Baronet is for you. Because of this, I wholeheartedly give The Last Baronet a 4 out of 4 stars. I believe that this novel as a little bit for everyone who is looking for a good book to get lost in.

The Last Baronet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

It's lovely to read such an enthusiastic review - the book sounds like a lot of fun.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Ah, the English countryside. What a great setting to meet fabulously interesting characters. Sounds like a great book for those cozy evenings at home.
Addebbylekstar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Addebbylekstar »

The book might probably motivate unity amidst families that runs a joint business ventures.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A English country side story sounds new to me. According to your review, to get lost in the beauty of the country side is also my dream. The rich greenery groves and the ancient looks of the buildings and houses, the moors are truly breath-taking. I love the idea of murder mystery and family it's like two peas in a pod. This is relatively new for me but really want to read this and get lost in its beauty. Thank you for your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The premise of this one sounds fun. It's almost like a Clue type deal (without the dead body.) There are a lot of characters in this one, and they each have their own story to tell. That would definitely make for a good read. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

I think this book looked inviting even from the cover but your review makes it almost irresistible! Who doesn't love colorful characters and fun surprises within a British backdrop? Definitely going on my shelf! Thanks!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Sounds like a really enjoyable read. A combination of murder and comedy/ This, I definitely want to read! Thanks for a well-written heartwarming review!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This sounds like a lovely read! So few novels are able to get the balance right between tragedy and comedy while still maintaining a solid and coherent plot, but this story seems to do just that :) Thank you for your review, I thought it was really nice to see a critique of a book that was so supportive and energetic!
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

I think I need to add this one to my TBR list! English manor houses are so intriguing and I would love to stay in one. Richly detailed and intricate plots are great things to get lost in and since you said the characters are nuanced complex characters, this sounds like something I could enjoy over a rainy afternoon.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

i liked your review giving elaborate insights about this book which is full of mischief and adventure and nice to see family bonding at Christmas
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”