Review by mamalui -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by mamalui -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by mamalui »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love at Your Service by Shay Carter involves the transition of a young man named Randy from a graduate to an adult. The story begins with the unplanned pregnancy that led to Randy being born and the death of his mother a few years after. Randy's father and his siblings find themselves rather disappointed on Randy as he constantly needs to be bailed out of situations which are mainly his own doing. Instead of continuing with a full-time education Randy finds a full-time job at which he is lazy and uses his charm to get ahead. In the book, we also see that Randy has a lot of friends and likes to go out with them and get totally drunk while picking up random women along the way.

Being a lucky guy Randy manages to climb up the professional ladder without working hard at it at all. He meets one or two nice girls, but not being the commitment kind, these relationships don't go anywhere. While all this is going on, Randy decides to relocate to London for a better job and a change of scenery. There he meets up with old friends who have gone through transitions of their own and makes new friends too. Life in the big city is not what its cracked up to be so Randy finds himself in a series of bad rentals and loss of money plus a couple of bad decisions and embarrassing situations.

The author Shay Carter who came up with the idea for this book from listening to different stories of his acquaintances manages to engage the reader through a series of humorous scenarios that Randy goes through since the beginning when he was trying to get part-time jobs and weekend jobs. I found myself laughing out loud when Randy walked into Nicky's kitchen wearing a feather boa that covered the square root of bugger all.Only to come face to face with Nicky's room mate. The characters are funny enough to make themselves endearing to the reader. The pace of the book is slow but interesting even though the plot was lacking in depth.

Apart from the funny aspect of the book I found there to be a few lessons in it. Especially when the author gives the reader a look at Randy's outlook on life and people and what it means to grow up and be a responsible adult. The character I liked the most in the story was Michael, who is John's friend. He had such a way of jabbing at Randy humorously while getting his point across. To me he was exactly what Andy needed in order to set him straight. The author also gets an insight into the way guys like Randy think and what drives them.

I rate this book a 2 out of 4 because I found errors along the way and the story didn't capture my attention throughout. I found the dialogue to be entertaining at times and captivating. The thing I didn't like about the book was that there were so many characters that sometimes I found it hard to remember who was who. I recommend this book to young adults who like to read about conquests, friendship, transitions and what it means to be an adult.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mamalui's review? Post a comment saying so!
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”