Official Review: Beautiful Imperfections

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Beautiful Imperfections

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beautiful Imperfections" by Marjorie Vernelle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a moment of clarity, Sadie Lee Celestine realized that her name wasn’t her own. She had been named for each of her grandmothers to keep the peace between them. She decided that she would be called Keith James, and from then on that was her name. As a freshman at the University of Toronto, Keith discovers her true passion for art. Author Marjorie Vernelle tells a story of love, loneliness, betrayal, and jealousy in Beautiful Imperfections.

In hindsight, substituting the Survey of Art History class for the Religious Knowledge class was probably a sign of things to come. Art became a sort of religion for Keith, but not then. Not as a 19-year-old. The Survey of Art History professor was surprisingly seductive. Dr. Lucien Montreux was attractive, intelligent, and he made Keith’s art class so much more interesting. On the other hand, there was David, Keith’s study partner with the deep black eyes. Unfortunately, David’s family made no effort to hide the fact that they did not approve of Keith. This ended a relationship that barely began.

Focusing on her studies, Keith began a passionate love affair with art and her brilliant professor. Lucien had been her teacher and mentor, but he quickly became Keith’s lover. As the years pass, David’s love for Keith only strengthens, and he returns to rekindle a relationship with her. With her successful career in art on the rise, Keith struggles to decide which man will fulfill her needs. Circumstances prevent Lucien from making a full commitment to Keith, but David’s vices are a constant cause for concern. As she weighs her options, Keith begins to consider the possibility that a lover might not be her source of fulfillment after all.

This seductive novel is not your typical romance story. There is love and passion, but the story of Keith’s true lasting love affair is a refreshing departure from the norm. Each character is beautifully developed and experiences relatable growth. The author’s expert use of descriptive language creates a pleasurable reading experience. There are a few minor grammar errors, but they did not disrupt the flow of the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Lovers of romance novels will enjoy this book. I recommend to begin reading when there is time to finish the story. This book is difficult to put down. As a reader, I was fully engaged from the first page to the last. Beautiful Imperfections is a story about flawed individuals, but with an artistic eye, one will see that imperfections in art and people can be beautiful.

Beautiful Imperfections
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like a different take on Romance. If you enjoy that sort of thing, I think it would be hard to put down. However, this really isn't my genre. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Romance novels aren't really my thing, but just reading this review, the book already resonates with me. I had one college course substitution that changed my life forever as well, so while circumstantial, I already find it believable. Thanks for the review!
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

The title is what actually grabbed my attention at first. Then I read your thoughts about the book and I've already become intrigued by the story. I only very occasionally read romance books, but maybe I'll give this one a try. Thanks for the review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

As someone who's Art History professor was a tiny Hawaiian-Japanese woman who loved to curse and shake her finger, I am blown away by the allusion to a sexy professor. :lol2:

I love that "Keith" had the confidence to change her name in such a bold way! The book sounds interesting!

Thank you for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Ugbusco
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Ugbusco »

In life you need to follow your heart if you want to attain and obtain what you want.
The novel clearly shows that there is a way if there is a will.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I’m fascinated by how this starts as a campus novel about a co-ed but doesn’t stay there.

It’s the sort of novel that someone new to romance might like.

Thanks for this clear, informative review.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A love story revolving around art, love, and betrayal sounds intriguing. Keith fells in love in two men and discovers that love not always win. It is nice that it is not a typical romance story, that each character is well developed, and that the language is beautiful. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the tale. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The review was very intriguing, giving details of the book without giving any spoliers. I am always on the lookout for stories that offer unique plots: this book may be it.
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I like romance novels and this book seems to be pretty interesting. It looks like a love triangle with Keith, David and Lucien. I'm eager to find out whom she will choose, who she decides will fulfil her needs. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
Alvinho88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alvinho88 »

The book has unique plot,minimal errors n a good title.. Its partly romance,but a matured one at that.. Good development of the characters like keith and the sexy professor.. Simply outstanding!!!
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Thanks for an interesting review. If you ask me, Keith should dump both lovers and find another. And I have a feeling that this is how the story ends.
Kaydee Yaleni
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaydee-yaleni.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Kaydee Yaleni »

Romance isn't really my genre, so I'll probably give this one a miss, but thank you for your review. It does sound different to typical romance stories, with a little more substance and sophistication to it than the usual will-they won't-they stories. The focus on art makes it sound like a poetic read.
enkaypeter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by enkaypeter »

Intriguing review, most times love relationships are not all that is needed to find fulfillment, most times.
Charlaigne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlaigne.html
Latest Review: Reaching the Shore by Davin Jake Douma and BonnieJane Hall

Post by Charlaigne »

I don't normally go for romance novels, but the sample I read had a very engaging style of writing. Looks like your review says the same thing. And I like the way you explained what you liked about it. Nicely written review :) thank you.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”