Official Review: Beautiful Imperfections

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Summer's Idyll by Don Gutteridge
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Beautiful Imperfections

Post by JessNWheeler » 29 Mar 2018, 15:43

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beautiful Imperfections" by Marjorie Vernelle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a moment of clarity, Sadie Lee Celestine realized that her name wasn’t her own. She had been named for each of her grandmothers to keep the peace between them. She decided that she would be called Keith James, and from then on that was her name. As a freshman at the University of Toronto, Keith discovers her true passion for art. Author Marjorie Vernelle tells a story of love, loneliness, betrayal, and jealousy in Beautiful Imperfections.

In hindsight, substituting the Survey of Art History class for the Religious Knowledge class was probably a sign of things to come. Art became a sort of religion for Keith, but not then. Not as a 19-year-old. The Survey of Art History professor was surprisingly seductive. Dr. Lucien Montreux was attractive, intelligent, and he made Keith’s art class so much more interesting. On the other hand, there was David, Keith’s study partner with the deep black eyes. Unfortunately, David’s family made no effort to hide the fact that they did not approve of Keith. This ended a relationship that barely began.

Focusing on her studies, Keith began a passionate love affair with art and her brilliant professor. Lucien had been her teacher and mentor, but he quickly became Keith’s lover. As the years pass, David’s love for Keith only strengthens, and he returns to rekindle a relationship with her. With her successful career in art on the rise, Keith struggles to decide which man will fulfill her needs. Circumstances prevent Lucien from making a full commitment to Keith, but David’s vices are a constant cause for concern. As she weighs her options, Keith begins to consider the possibility that a lover might not be her source of fulfillment after all.

This seductive novel is not your typical romance story. There is love and passion, but the story of Keith’s true lasting love affair is a refreshing departure from the norm. Each character is beautifully developed and experiences relatable growth. The author’s expert use of descriptive language creates a pleasurable reading experience. There are a few minor grammar errors, but they did not disrupt the flow of the story.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Lovers of romance novels will enjoy this book. I recommend to begin reading when there is time to finish the story. This book is difficult to put down. As a reader, I was fully engaged from the first page to the last. Beautiful Imperfections is a story about flawed individuals, but with an artistic eye, one will see that imperfections in art and people can be beautiful.

Beautiful Imperfections
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Post by kandscreeley » 07 May 2018, 07:23

This definitely sounds like a different take on Romance. If you enjoy that sort of thing, I think it would be hard to put down. However, this really isn't my genre. Thanks for the information, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Jkhorner
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 411
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Fire by Dewayne A. Jackson

Post by Jkhorner » 07 May 2018, 08:20

Romance novels aren't really my thing, but just reading this review, the book already resonates with me. I had one college course substitution that changed my life forever as well, so while circumstantial, I already find it believable. Thanks for the review!

Aubrey Cana Laine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-cana-laine.html
Latest Review: Dreaming of Daniel by J M Admore

Post by Aubrey Cana Laine » 09 May 2018, 20:47

The title is what actually grabbed my attention at first. Then I read your thoughts about the book and I've already become intrigued by the story. I only very occasionally read romance books, but maybe I'll give this one a try. Thanks for the review!

NL Hartje
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Frog Hotel by Susan Bryant

Post by NL Hartje » 20 May 2018, 15:49

As someone who's Art History professor was a tiny Hawaiian-Japanese woman who loved to curse and shake her finger, I am blown away by the allusion to a sexy professor. :lol2:

I love that "Keith" had the confidence to change her name in such a bold way! The book sounds interesting!

Thank you for this review!
Calling all OBC forum friends! Come join the "20 Questions Guess My Character" forum for witty literature gameplay!
:saberduel2:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”