Official Review: Blow Fly Creek by Jonathan Gair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Blow Fly Creek by Jonathan Gair

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blow Fly Creek" by Jonathan Gair.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blow Fly Creek by Jonathan Gair is an unusual book about an unusual town named, as one would expect, Blow Fly Creek. The story takes place in northern Australia. We are first introduced to the townsfolk at the funeral of a man nicknamed Toad, who is buried (at his own request) next to a town local named Cincinnatus McGregor. Toad’s family members, having arrived for the funeral, attempt to discover the reason for this unexpected request, as well as the manner in which both men died. The town locals are an odd bunch, prone to telling tall tales laced with double-meanings and living by their own unique code of conduct, somewhat reminiscent of the American Wild West.

Stories are exchanged of Toad’s history among the townspeople, and of the recent purchase of an abattoir (slaughterhouse) by his grandson, Hugh. As Toad’s family members delve into the secrets of the town’s history, they discover that folks don’t always meet their end in the most natural ways. The local sheriff, who happens to also be the narrator of the story, seems himself to be both perplexed and overwhelmed by the tendency of the locals to take legal matters into their own hands. Complicating matters further is a struggle over possession of the deceased Cincinnatus’s journal, which appears to contain many of the town’s secrets, and has the potential to expose its criminal enterprises.

Several aspects of this story render it one of the strangest of the many books I have read. Most noticeable is the style of writing that permeates the entire work. Nearly every single sentence in the book is written in a convoluted and verbose manner, frequently branching off on long tangents before returning to the main point at hand. Frequently, the author’s use of punctuation eschews the standard rules of grammar, and sentences are either extended much farther than they need to be (creating long run-ons,) or chopped half-way through an idea by a period (where a comma would suffice). Even when grammatical rules are followed, many of the sentences are so long and packed with so much detail, that it was an ordeal just to get through a paragraph without losing focus. One example, from page 43:
Since the ignoble events that had taken place on the Flat Plateau two or so weeks previous that now apparently almost everyone knows, but which the chairman generously stated for the sake of the newspapers. Had brought so much attention that essentially he had robbed them of almost any control or leverage over him by letting their shared and very little big secret out.
Needless to say, despite its fairly short length, this was a relatively exhausting read, and required a very attentive mindset. I found I was able to process the book best if I mostly ignored the placement of the periods and commas, and read the contents as a stream-of-consciousness flow.

Because the writing style was so unusual, it dominated the experience of this book, and the storyline became almost secondary to the task of getting through each page. It was a challenge, and I can’t quite say that it was worth the effort. The story was definitely unique, and the characters were vividly portrayed, but due to the difficulty of the language there were many loose ends left untied. The situation within the plot is presented as a sort of mystery, and by the end of the book I was still confused by several aspects of the story, primarily because the method of delivering the information was largely through hints and roundabout tales told by the town’s residents. It was not always clear what was being implied by the veiled language, though perhaps the ambivalence was part of what the author was going for. One of the major themes of the book seemed to be the fluid nature of justice within such remote places as the town described. I just wish I was better able to understand the author’s motive and intention for this story.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I believe, with a very thorough edit, the story has strong potential to be a unique and memorable work. Due to some implications of violence, but mostly due to the complexity and confusing nature of the language in which it is written, this is not a book I would recommend to young readers. Folks who may enjoy this story are those who like a challenging read and enjoy deep explorations of the psyche of a small-town culture. This is not a book that is packed with action, but rather it is laced with subtleties of mannerisms and expressions, and I would have a hard time attempting to place it within a particular genre.

Blow Fly Creek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Just from the example that you've given, I can tell that this is not a book I would be interested in reading in its present form. You are right. It sounds exhausting! Still, I wouldn't mind reading a good novel set in Australia. Hopefully some changes can be made to this one to make it more readable. Thanks for bearing through to the end!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Darn, I was really interested reading the first paragraph here. Too bad about the writer's voice though. It can make a read so hard when the assides and appositives compose more of the work than the actual plot. Thanks for this meticulous review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Essentially_Literate
Favorite Book: Beastly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essentially-literate.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Essentially_Literate »

This book sounds very unusual. I know from your review that I would have a difficult time reading it. It's great that you stuck through it and decided to finish it!
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

That's too bad, I agree with @NL Hartje, your first paragraph had me interested. I just don't want to work that hard to understand the story. Very nice review, however!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I think it would be far more frustrating than fulfilling to read Blow Fly Creek. That is unfortunate, because I was curious to see what the Wild West of Australia would be like. I commend you for your tenacity in seeing it through to the end. Thanks for this informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

It is such a shame that such an unusual and engaging storyline has to be destroyed by such appalling writing style. I hope that the author will do a better job next time because his ideas are original. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”