Official Review: Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nat...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nat...

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nature Collide" by Janet S. Kleinman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Janet S. Kleinman, Flirting With Disaster: When Love & Nature Collide is a romance novel about finding love during the golden years. Gloria Simon is an attractive and intelligent widow who lives in South Florida. Her husband died a few years ago. She took care of him during the last years of his life while he suffered from Alzheimer's. For that reason, her life has been lacking passion for a long time. Gloria's love life changes when her high school sweetheart, Mickey Green, contacts her. She reminisces fondly about their coming-of-age years. Mickey, however, is married. While having an affair with Mickey, Gloria meets Henri Betencourt, an immigrant who comes from an important political family in Haiti. A disastrous earthquake strikes Haiti, making Gloria go to the Caribbean island to help children in need. Gloria's love life takes another turn when she meets another man, former Senator Lance Carter, while doing humanitarian work in Haiti.

Gloria has to decide which of the three men is best for her future in the mist of a natural disaster and its subsequent turmoil. Who will she pick? Mickey, her high school sweetheart, is married and has a gambling addiction. Henri is an incredible lover with a macho attitude and political aspirations. Lance is a distinguished government official who travels a lot working for the president of the United States.

What I liked the most about this romance novel was that the main character, Gloria, finds love again during her golden years. She finds herself having to choose between three men. Whether they are good or bad for her is beyond the point. The important thing is that Gloria's character shows that love is ageless. I did not identify with Gloria because I am in my thirties. However, I think Flirting With Disaster is a good read for women and men in retirement age.

Another aspect I enjoyed about this book is that Kleinman depicted aptly the culture and history of Haiti, including the catastrophic earthquake that hit the island in 2010. The reader can tell Kleinman did a thorough research about the culture and history of Haiti. Henri Betencourt, Pierre Betencourt, Lucia, and Captain Duval are the characters who bring alive the culture and politics of Haiti. Kleinman also did a sound job in portraying the damage, health crisis, hunger, and political unrest the earthquake caused in Haiti.

What I did not like about this book is that it has several errors. It has typos, grammatical errors, additional words, incorrect use of style, and spacing issues. An example is that paragraphs that should not be italicized are italicized. In addition, I found that characters were referred to by the wrong name a couple of times. For example, Mickey refers to his wife as Joanne, which is a mistake because her name is Judith. These numerous errors were distracting. In short, this book needs another editorial revision.

I rate Flirting With Disaster by Janet S. Kleinman 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because the book has numerous errors, which I mentioned above. Overall, I enjoyed reading this story because a woman in her golden years finds love again. Reading this book was also a learning experience about Haiti. Note that this book has sexual and violent content. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading about romance and other cultures. I also think is a good read for people in their retirement years.

Flirting with Disaster when Love and Nature Collide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Splendid review of this somewhat different story book which give some good insights about the book. Authors nicely shows how time changes circumstances and flow of ones life when one comes across different people at different places.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I liked the story. Since I'm not a fan of love stories, I'll pass this one. But you did a very good job with your review. The writing was really good.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Mee_maw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mee-maw.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Mee_maw »

Based on the review, I would love to read this book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I haven't read many books in Haiti. I would enjoy that setting and learning more about it. It does get on my nerves when the author changes the characters names! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

sanjus wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 05:14 Splendid review of this somewhat different story book which give some good insights about the book. Authors nicely shows how time changes circumstances and flow of ones life when one comes across different people at different places.
I thought it was a different kind of story because it is about love during the golden years.

Thanks for stopping by! :D
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 11:49 I liked the story. Since I'm not a fan of love stories, I'll pass this one. But you did a very good job with your review. The writing was really good.
Thanks for your kind words!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Neat review! So she has interests in 3 men? In my opinion, the married guy is out of options (don't want to go to hell by breaking a person's marriage). This leads to the macho guy and the guy running for presidency, I wonder whom did she chose. I don't like macho guys for their attitude, and I don't like guys running for presidency, too much attention. So none of them are for me but I wonder why is Gloria finding it difficult to make a choice?
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for a well-written, thorough review! The plot sounds interesting and it's a nice bonus that the author included info about the culture and history of Haiti.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I like to hear that love is ageless. Gloria is in love with three men and has to choose which one is best for her. Hopefully, she chooses wisely. It is interesting that the book includes facts about Haiti, an island which has had its share of disasters.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your honest yet well-backed and insightful review. Its errors and some of its themes may not be what I'd look forward to as well, but you've done the piece ample justice.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Spath
Currently Reading: Decide Success
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spath.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Spath »

Age is a number that the spirit (heart), is not included in. Growing old does not impact our ability to love. very nice review.
There is nothing to writing. All you have to do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
Ernest Hemingway
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Wow. Gloria is juggling three men? I am sure this story would appeal to some, but just not for me. The sexual content is not something I would want to read about. Glad you enjoyed it though and thanks for your review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I would enjoy learning about the culture and history of Haiti. I’m not sure about the trio of love interests, and I would definitely be distracted by the numerous errors. I’m glad to have read your review to make an informed decision about this book. Thanks!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

A woman in her golden years finds love again? Yay! You must have the longest hair. (just kidding)

She finds herself having to choose among three men. Wow! Share your secret my dear. (giggles)

Gloria Simon could vouch that love is really ageless!

Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”