Official Review: The Sixth and Seventh Day Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Fountain Found by Allen Broderick

Official Review: The Sixth and Seventh Day Man

Post by kandscreeley » 20 Mar 2018, 14:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sixth and Seventh Day Man" by Robert M. Pollack.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bible tells us the story of the first man and woman, Adam and Eve. They walked with God in the Garden of Eden until they ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. At that time, they were banned from the Garden and were forced to toil the rest of their lives. We learn of their children, Cain and Abel and the first murder. We are also told about a man named Enoch who walked with the Lord. He was then caught up in the sky without having died. And perhaps one of the most well known stories would be that of Noah. He found favor with the Lord and was saved when the Lord destroyed the world by flood.

It is these stories that are retold and elaborated on in the book The Sixth and Seventh Day Man. The novel is broken up into three different books. The first is The Time of Adam and Eve. The second is entitled The Time of Enoch with the last being The Time of Noah.

Whenever possible, the author stuck to the true facts of the stories; but when information was left out, the author used his creativity to fill in the gaps. I enjoyed seeing these biblical stories extrapolated on based on the author's imagination. It was fun to see what the world could have been like during those different times. It made the actual stories come alive more in my mind as I read. Mr. Pollack did well at helping me to relate to these characters as actual people which in turn gives new meaning to these stories as well as bolstering my faith.

I'd love to be able to end the review there and give the book a perfect score. Sadly, that is not the case. There were a few issues that I noticed within the book. First, the book was poorly edited. I noticed a plethora of grammatical errors throughout the book. There were words used incorrectly (contacted instead of contracted), quotation marks were frequently missing or in the wrong location and punctuation between words and sentences was often wrong. Furthermore, in the Kindle version, the table of contents did not link to the correct place (book one went to book three and so forth.)

Second, the dialogue was just a bit awkward. As most of us who read a lot know, dialogue is one of the hardest parts of a book to write well. In this book, it just comes across forced and unnatural.

As this book would be considered Christian fiction, there are a couple of issues that I feel I need to point out as a Christian myself. Primarily the sensuality and gore contained in the book. If you read the biblical story of Noah, you know that the earth was more wicked and sinful than it had ever been. I realize that the author needs to portray that, but I feel that Mr. Pollack goes a bit too far in describing some of the sexuality and violence of that time. While there are no overt sexual scenes, there are many adult situations that I still feel make this book R rated when it should really be PG. I believe that there is a way to describe the wickedness of the people without being explicit.

Also, I (and most Christians I know) believe that Adam and Eve were the actual first man and woman on Earth. The author does not seem to share this belief. He believes that there were other men and women, but that Adam and Eve were the first ones set apart by God. This was an issue that I was able to overlook, but some may not.

I found The Sixth and Seventh Day Man to be a very engaging and insightful read. There was plenty of adventure and the characters were extremely relatable. So, this was another book that I had a very hard time rating; because, in spite of my enjoying the book, there were still a number of problems that need to be addressed. In the end, I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars. There is nothing in this book that couldn't be fixed by a really good editor as the author has all the essentials for a great book. I recommend this to those who are interested in learning more about the first few chapters of Genesis in The Bible and don't mind overlooking errors.

The Sixth and Seventh Day Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

harriton muhande
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by harriton muhande » 23 Mar 2018, 09:28

the book seems to be very shallow, it does not explain about a given story before before another, though the stories are interesting, !!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 23 Mar 2018, 11:18

Thanks for commenting. I wouldn't call it shallow as there was quite a bit of story. There were a few things that could be improved on, though!
― Ernest Hemingway

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: The Words of Jesus by Lois Rader
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 23 Mar 2018, 17:56

Not sure if I could overlook the problem of people being there before Adam and Eve. For me there is a fine line between being creative and adding more to the scriptures than warranted. Sounds like the book steps over the edge a little too much.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 23 Mar 2018, 18:12

melissy370 wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 17:56
Not sure if I could overlook the problem of people being there before Adam and Eve. For me there is a fine line between being creative and adding more to the scriptures than warranted. Sounds like the book steps over the edge a little too much.
I understand. That is a major doctrine. Still, there were some good points. Thanks for commenting.
― Ernest Hemingway

MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: What the Hand by Todd Stockwell

Post by MsTri » 24 Mar 2018, 13:27

I'd actually seen this book on the list and considered it for a while, then decided against it; I just didn't quite feel that "pull" that I need when selecting a book. Now, having read your review, I think it's because the synopsis wasn't quite descriptive enough, so thank you so much for your review.

Having read it now, I'm on the fence. I'm a major Grammar Nazi, so it drives me nuts when books are so obviously in need of editing. I'm also not sure how well I could overlook there being people before Adam and Eve. Yet, I also really like reading creative works that elaborate on Biblical stories. Hence, I'm torn... Perhaps this one will be something I read off-and-on in-between other stories that I really want to read. Again, thanks for the introduction!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Mar 2018, 14:10

MsTri wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 13:27
I'd actually seen this book on the list and considered it for a while, then decided against it; I just didn't quite feel that "pull" that I need when selecting a book. Now, having read your review, I think it's because the synopsis wasn't quite descriptive enough, so thank you so much for your review.

Having read it now, I'm on the fence. I'm a major Grammar Nazi, so it drives me nuts when books are so obviously in need of editing. I'm also not sure how well I could overlook there being people before Adam and Eve. Yet, I also really like reading creative works that elaborate on Biblical stories. Hence, I'm torn... Perhaps this one will be something I read off-and-on in-between other stories that I really want to read. Again, thanks for the introduction!
I completely understand. This probably isn't a non you'll want to bare your theology on. However, it did help bring the Bible characters to life. Thanks!
― Ernest Hemingway

Sahani Nimandra
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: The Problems of Life and Ethical Dilemmas
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 27 Mar 2018, 02:47

Fascinating! First and foremost, I appreciate a book as this containing the original context because it is of utmost importance to meet this criteria when it comes to this kind of a subject matter. As you said, I too agree on the point that a good part of creativity does help to visualize the story, for this I am very happy since I am not a Christian I can take a good look at this. I hope errors can be overlooked but then as you said a proofread would do. I hope I get a chance to read this book in the near future. Thank you Kands for sharing this book and also for your detailed review!
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 27 Mar 2018, 09:11

Sahani Nimandra wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 02:47
Fascinating! First and foremost, I appreciate a book as this containing the original context because it is of utmost importance to meet this criteria when it comes to this kind of a subject matter. As you said, I too agree on the point that a good part of creativity does help to visualize the story, for this I am very happy since I am not a Christian I can take a good look at this. I hope errors can be overlooked but then as you said a proofread would do. I hope I get a chance to read this book in the near future. Thank you Kands for sharing this book and also for your detailed review!
Thanks Sahani! You might enjoy this story. It does need a good proofread, but the errors weren't too horrible. They can probably be overlooked. Let me know if you read it.
― Ernest Hemingway

Sahani Nimandra
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: The Problems of Life and Ethical Dilemmas
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 27 Mar 2018, 11:28

kandscreeley wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 09:11
Sahani Nimandra wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 02:47
Thanks Sahani! You might enjoy this story. It does need a good proofread, but the errors weren't too horrible. They can probably be overlooked. Let me know if you read it.
Definitely, :tiphat:
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by kislany » 28 Mar 2018, 03:25

This is really not my genre, so I think I will pass. Thanks for another great review.

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 28 Mar 2018, 07:51

kislany wrote:
28 Mar 2018, 03:25
This is really not my genre, so I think I will pass. Thanks for another great review.
I understand. Thanks, though!
― Ernest Hemingway

bookowlie
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by bookowlie » 02 Apr 2018, 10:27

Very insightful, thorough review! It's a shame about the poor editing and stilted dialogue since the concept of the book sounds interesting.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Apr 2018, 10:33

bookowlie wrote:
02 Apr 2018, 10:27
Very insightful, thorough review! It's a shame about the poor editing and stilted dialogue since the concept of the book sounds interesting.
It was definitely unique and interesting. With a little more editing and reworking, I think the author could really have something. Thanks for commenting!
― Ernest Hemingway

Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Anything is Possible
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books » 06 Apr 2018, 10:30

Intriguing idea for a book, but your comments about the sexual content suggest the writer hadn't properly considered his potential audience. I also appreciate your point about dialogue - I think it's particularly difficult to do this well when you go that far back in time.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”