Official Review: Lessons From My Grandmother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Lessons From My Grandmother

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lessons From My Grandmother" by Martha Mutomba.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hush your thoughts. Hear your breath. Harmonize your emotions. Soften your body. Become one with the world around you. Now ask yourself: “What is my passion? What gift is mine to give that can become a gift to the world?”

Martha Mutomba exposes these buried heart’s questions in Lessons from My Grandmother: Every Life is a Guided Journey. This fictitious direct narrative flows more like a memoir than a fabrication, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the author experienced many of the events illustrated by the main character. Actually, I’m certain we all have.

Yeukai Mandizvidza is a woman from Zimbabwe who through persistent education and lofty ambition found herself across the world, living the American dream. Readers find her questioning her life choices, void of happiness amidst her mountain of material wealth. A trip home to a world steeped in tradition culminates in a life-changing revelation presented by her wizened grandmother. It’s revealed that a lost connection to the Source is the culprit behind Yeukai’s emptiness. Yeukai learns to meditate, visualize and pray; she learns to open herself to the Source. Years after this revelation, she again finds herself mentally lost and a second trip home starts her on a spiritual pilgrimage to not only realize her happiness but find a way to spread that to the world.

I enjoyed reading about Zimbabwe’s history and the cultural traditions of the Shona people. The details of AIDS crisis both emotionally affected and inspired me. I respected the author’s acknowledgment that her reference to the “Source” was the no different than referencing God, the Divine, Spirit, the Life Force, etc. The meditative techniques she outlines are translatable to any sect of spirituality. I was particularly taken by the practice of cataloging one’s qualities at the beginning of each year and processing an intuitive selection of those to improve upon or let go.

Likely in opposition to the author’s intentions, I found the read to be somewhat laborious due to the slow, repetitive scenes spoken as if by someone in a deep trance. The overreaching sense of calm permeated every corner of the book, and as someone who could undoubtedly benefit from the teachings within, I had a hard time slowing down. I found myself appreciating the more familial scenes of daily routine as opposed to those of pensive reflection. There was also an informative inclusion of Shona terms, but their placement mid-sentence was halting over time, and my eyes began skipping over them unconsciously. They may have served better had they appeared solely in the book’s glossary.

Mutomba includes poetic prayers for quieting throughout the book which serve as both literary expressions and instructional tools. Editorially, I found this book to be faultless. Those interested in spirituality or honing their meditative and thankful state will likely adore its contents. I learned much and appreciated the intention of letting one's personal gift reveal itself. The takeaway is though; I didn’t love it; I had a hard time getting through it. It saddens me to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, but I heartily thank the author for its contents. She has positively affected my life.

Lessons From My Grandmother
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wonder if the author was trying to achieve a meditative state through the book. It just seems like it didn't quite get there. Thanks for the review, but I don't think this book is for me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

The review is detailed and succinct-thank you. I would definitely consider reading this, as it seems to be a thoughtful and sincere glimpse into thoughts/feelings the author has encountered, even if the book is a work of fiction.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I appreciate your example of giving an honest, encouraging review for a book that wasn’t your favorite. Good job!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Zimbabwe's different cultures seem fascinating to me, but I probably won't be reading this book regardless. I just don't think I could get past the editorial mistakes and the spiritual emphasis to really enjoy it.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 09:49 I wonder if the author was trying to achieve a meditative state through the book. It just seems like it didn't quite get there. Thanks for the review, but I don't think this book is for me.
I think this was honestly her intent. I was almost ashamed that I so disliked the pace because it just proved how American-ized and ungrounded I am... I'm a perfect candidate to buy what she's selling :shifty:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

SABRADLEY wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 16:45 it seems to be a thoughtful and sincere glimpse into thoughts/feelings the author has encountered, even if the book is a work of fiction.
Thanks for taking the time to read! It was an incredibly thoughtful work. I feel it has the possibility to impact many audiences.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

ViziVoir wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 19:24 I just don't think I could get past the editorial mistakes
Oh, my goodness no! Please read my review again; I'm almost certain I described this book as editorially "faultless."

The only fault I found in this book lies entirely within the scope of my personal preference as a reader.
-Dr. Seuss
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 21:34
ViziVoir wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 19:24 I just don't think I could get past the editorial mistakes
Oh, my goodness no! Please read my review again; I'm almost certain I described this book as editorially "faultless."

The only fault I found in this book lies entirely within the scope of my personal preference as a reader.
Wow, I'm sorry, awful wording on my part! I meant to refer to the pacing and repetition, since things like that drag down a book and make it impossible for me to really enjoy it. In my opinion, an editor should've pruned this down, but the phrase "editorial mistakes" definitely implies grammar! My bad, thanks for pointing that out.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

ViziVoir wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 23:08
NL Hartje wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 21:34

Wow, I'm sorry, awful wording on my part! I meant to refer to the pacing and repetition, since things like that drag down a book and make it impossible for me to really enjoy it. In my opinion, an editor should've pruned this down, but the phrase "editorial mistakes" definitely implies grammar! My bad, thanks for pointing that out.
There are no "bads" here and no need to apologize! Thanks again for reading! :tiphat:
-Dr. Seuss
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Sounds like an interesting motivational book with tranquility at its heart. I might pick it up if I see it around. Thanks for a great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 21:31
kandscreeley wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 09:49 I wonder if the author was trying to achieve a meditative state through the book. It just seems like it didn't quite get there. Thanks for the review, but I don't think this book is for me.
I think this was honestly her intent. I was almost ashamed that I so disliked the pace because it just proved how American-ized and ungrounded I am... I'm a perfect candidate to buy what she's selling :shifty:
I'm definitely American-ized, but I recognize it which is the start to changing it, right? I just don't think this book is going to be what helps me. Still, if it helps someone else, I guess that's good.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kislany wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 00:53 Sounds like an interesting motivational book with tranquility at its heart. I might pick it up if I see it around. Thanks for a great review.
Thanks for taking the time to read, kislany. It certainly had a good message.
-Dr. Seuss
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I love reading books about different cultures and people, and Zimbabwe isn't one that comes up very often, so I might give this one a look. Thanks for writing such a helpful review :)
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

JudasFm wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 07:16 I love reading books about different cultures and people, and Zimbabwe isn't one that comes up very often, so I might give this one a look.
The scenes in Zimbabwe were very interesting. The author comments on much of daily life, the juxtaposition between the cities and the "farms," and familial traditions. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”