Official Review: Lessons From My Grandmother

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kiboko1
Currently Reading: To Kill a Mockingbird
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Official Review: Lessons From My Grandmother

Post by Kiboko1 »

Miss Nl Hartje from your review i have already created a bond with this book.Its so African yet crafted unique. I quote to read it very soon.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for an insightful review. I am glad you were able to appreciate the historical and cultural info about Zimbabwe, even though you didn't love the story.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

bookowlie wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 10:32 Thanks for an insightful review. I am glad you were able to appreciate the historical and cultural info about Zimbabwe, even though you didn't love the story.
Thank you! For me, it's always fun to learn about other cultures!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I enjoyed your review and would be interested in reading this book. I think it would be interesting to learn about Zimbabwe's culture and seeing their views on spirituality. It also sounds like the main character has a close bond with her grandma, which is something I can relate to since its the same for me.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Gray-cee
Currently Reading: The Zachary Blake Legal Thriller Series
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Gray-cee »

The insight into Zimbabwean culture excites me and the meditative state of the book interests me. Therefore, I will consider reading the book. Thanks for the review.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

holsam_87 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 22:19 I think it would be interesting to learn about Zimbabwe's culture and seeing their views on spirituality.
It was mostly about the rural/farm culture and how lives were affected by political change. It was interesting to me, I hope you have s chance to read it!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Gray-cee wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 04:31 The insight into Zimbabwean culture excites me and the meditative state of the book interests me.
I leaned a lot from her meditative techniques and calming thought processes. I hope you like it if you decide to read!
-Dr. Seuss
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

NL Hartje wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 09:02
holsam_87 wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 22:19 I think it would be interesting to learn about Zimbabwe's culture and seeing their views on spirituality.
It was mostly about the rural/farm culture and how lives were affected by political change. It was interesting to me, I hope you have s chance to read it!
That'll be interesting to read about since my home town is a farming community. I try to give books a chance, that's why I have in my shelves and I have a lot of hard copies to read too.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a tough review to write. The content of the book sounds very worthy, and not just because of the insight into Zimbabwe's history and culture, and of the impact of the AIDS crisis. Having said that, although I'm quite a fan of mysticism and meditation, I'm not surprised that you found sections of the book laborious and slow. Good point about the glossary - maybe it would be helpful if the prayers were also published separately.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Libs_Books wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 04:26 This sounds like a tough review to write. The content of the book sounds very worthy, and not just because of the insight into Zimbabwe's history and culture, and of the impact of the AIDS crisis. Having said that, although I'm quite a fan of mysticism and meditation, I'm not surprised that you found sections of the book laborious and slow. Good point about the glossary - maybe it would be helpful if the prayers were also published separately.
I never thought of that, but yes, I think if the prayers had been cataloged in the back they would have been less disruptive.
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”