Official Review: Time is of the Essence by Phoebe Wilby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Official Review: Time is of the Essence by Phoebe Wilby

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time is of the Essence" by Phoebe Wilby.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grabbing a book to immerse yourself in its world is alluring. Nonetheless, many readers cannot invest much time to reading long books because of the hectic life they live. I am one of them. That’s why I chose to read Time is of the Essence written by Phoebe Wilby. This book is perfect for readers who need a “bit of escapism” in the middle of their busy life, as the author points out. It has enrapturing stories that will make you shed tears, laugh, reflect, and bring back memories, perhaps yours or someone’s else, in a short period of time.

Time is of the Essence is Wilby’s second book, a collection of stories to be more precise, in which she highlights the theme of time. The cover makes an outstanding job to convey the book’s theme. With a golden pocket watch that lies on the sand, the reader receives the underlying message that anyone is vulnerable to time and its effects. Nobody escapes time. The eleven short stories, three articles and two essays in this book hold a message related to time for each type of reader.

Indeed, the stories are designed to appeal an assortment of readers. Let’s start with the romance lovers. If that’s your gender, you’ll definitely have to read “A Modern Fairy Tale” and “A Moment in Time.” If what you like is stories that make you reflect about life, then read “A Time to Heal,” and “Bonnie and Claude.” If you prefer stories with a twist in it, you may enjoy “Blood Ties” and “Chemical Imbalance.” If what attracts you is action and survival stories, you must read “Flying Over the Enemy” and “Reluctant Hero.” Perhaps what you are looking for is to giggle a little or have a laugh. Then, you should read “Mixed Messages” and “Scammed.”

I basked in reading these fascinating stories. Let me tell you about just one of them, “Last Moments in Time.” It narrates the story of an old woman named Ruth who lives alone, and in her land, she has a beautiful tall Poinciana tree. This tree has seen three generations grow. Since the beginning of the story, you start asking yourself, why is this old woman by herself? Where’s her family? And then you realize she’s not alone anymore. She receives some visitors. Nevertheless, because she’s old, she’s so used to doing the daily activities in her house that she almost neglects to assist her visitors. Who are these visitors? What do they want? What connection do they have with her? You have to read the story to know. It’s a heartbreaking story, I must warn you.

While I enjoyed the vivid descriptions in the stories and loved the word choices that the author used, I found a lot of sentences with missing commas and periods. In some cases, I had to re-read the sentences again to understand them clearly. I should also say that when reading three of the stories, I found them quite predictable. This may not disturb some readers, but others may not like it much. Not all the stories are like that, I must say.

In sum, this collection of stories is magnificent. I read some of the stories twice because I fancied them. I even narrated some of them to my husband before going to bed. He enjoyed them as well. If I could give this book 3.5, I would. However, the system doesn’t allow me to do so. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think after another round of editing, this book will be impeccable. Now, what story will you read first?

Time is of the Essence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your enjoyment of the book is evident through your review. I especially liked how you pointed out which stories to read to suit particular preferences. Thanks for the review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It's great that the author managed to present a bunch of different genres while maintaining a consistent theme; short story collections can often lose focus in this regard. I generally prefer books with a directed plot, so I'll probably give this one a pass anyway.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I've always been fascinated by the concept of time (in fact, if you look at my facebook page, you'll see that my "middle name" is 'TimeKeepa') and I love compilations, so this is definitely right up my alley! I'll strive hard to overlook the grammatical errors, as well. Thanks for much for the great review and introduction!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy short stories simply because they are bite size. Despite the predictability, it sounds like one I might just have to pick up. Thanks for the lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@stacie k
What genre do you prefer? I'm sure you'll find several stories here that can please your liking.

@ ViziVoir
I think the author did a skillful job in this matter (maintaining a consistent theme). Every single story reflects the main theme indeed.

@MsTri alias TimeKeepa
If you love the concept of time, there's no doubt you'll enjoy reading this. Don't worry about the punctuation errors. I had to pay attention to them because I was reviewing the book. Just bask in reading the stories.

@kandscreeley
Bite size? It sounds just right! Pick it up and later tell me what you think of it. :D

Thanks all of you for stopping by.
Felicidad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Felicidad »

Your review is understandable and amazing. I would like to read "A Moment in Time". It sounds interesting😊
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

Felicidad wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 21:53 Your review is understandable and amazing. I would like to read "A Moment in Time". It sounds interesting😊
Oh! "A Moment in Time!" This is one of my faves in this book. It's a romance with a time-travel touch, very well developed, I must add. I loved how the author used each character's point of view to narrate the story. I highly recommend it to you. Read it, you'll have a blast!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I would choose "Last Moments in Time". You left me hanging on your story. I wonder about the connection of Ruth; the tall Poinciana tree; and the visitors. Thanks for the cliffhanger. It made me curious.
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

Dolor wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 14:47 I would choose "Last Moments in Time". You left me hanging on your story. I wonder about the connection of Ruth; the tall Poinciana tree; and the visitors. Thanks for the cliffhanger. It made me curious.
You curiosity must be satisfied. Read the story. You won't have any regrets. Instead, you'll want to read the other stories as well. :wink:
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Kalin Adi wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 13:53
Felicidad wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 21:53 Your review is understandable and amazing. I would like to read "A Moment in Time". It sounds interesting😊
Oh! "A Moment in Time!" This is one of my faves in this book. It's a romance with a time-travel touch, very well developed, I must add. I loved how the author used each character's point of view to narrate the story. I highly recommend it to you. Read it, you'll have a blast!

Great review, this novel sounds like it has something for everyone. I love narratives that have the concept of time-travel, so A Moment in Time sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

ritah wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 04:38
Kalin Adi wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 13:53

Great review, this novel sounds like it has something for everyone. I love narratives that have the concept of time-travel, so A Moment in Time sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Go for it, ritah! You'll really enjoy this story. After finishing it, I'm sure you'll want to read the other ones. Thanks for stopping by.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

The author succeeded in tying different genres under the same theme of time. Your enjoyment of the book is well portrayed in your review so very likely, it is also very interesting and well-written despite the assortment of genres.
Jonte_fonsi
Favorite Book: A Good Boy
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonte-fonsi.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by Jonte_fonsi »

Wow
That's a great review you've got there
You are literally talking about the book, that's something.
Leaves the reader in almost dire want to grab their copy
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I really like how you explain why you chose this book, how it met your reading needs, and broke down the short stories by reader type in case someone wants to give it a shot but may not want to commit to the whole book. If you like the concept of time, and you of course enjoy a quick read, I would recommend The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. I like all of his books but that one was by far my favorite. It is a lesson about appreciating time but without being too preachy and it is a book you could read in less than 2 hours. Thanks for the review. I think I would really enjoy this and could easily squeeze in those short stories here and there between my other readings.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”