Official Review: Man Killer by Wes S. Henson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Man Killer by Wes S. Henson

Post by 1ditzyrn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Man Killer" by Wes S. Henson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Killer by Wes S. Henson is a novel that takes the reader on a journey for vengeance and retribution. Set in the Old West, this novel follows a boy as he becomes a man and spends his days searching for the one chance he needs to avenge the lives stolen by a ruthless band of outlaws. Relying only on himself, this cowboy becomes an avenging angel against those who prey on the weak.

Ty Morgan is only seventeen when he leaves his home in the East with his parents to start a new life out West. The family joins up with a wagon train headed for a better life, but their journey is cut short when a band of outlaws attacks them. Killing his mother and father and leaving Ty for dead, the outlaws continue on their way, making the attack appear as if it were done by local Indians. After waking at the bottom of a ravine, Ty meets an older man named Luke. Luke takes Ty home with him, and begins to train him in the ways of the West. Years later, Ty sets out to avenge his family and the other victims of the wagon train massacres. Along the way, he finds love and friendship.

I am a fan of westerns, both in books and movies. Having grown up watching westerns with my father, I was very excited to read this book. I found the storyline to be very entertaining, and was drawn in by the characters created by Mr. Henson. I found myself upset when Ty and his family were attacked, and also cheering Ty on as he took on the outlaws. Ty is a character who has to grow up fast in a violent world. He learns all he needs to know to survive in this harsh environment, but still manages to be a good man at his core. He only kills out of necessity, and avoids it if possible. I admired him for the stance he was taking against the outlaws.

While I really liked the story, there were several issues I had with the book. There were several spelling errors, punctuation errors, and grammar issues. Throughout the book, a “rifle” is referred to as a “riffle” and dining rooms are “dinning rooms”. The author also uses excessive commas, as well as unnecessary hyphens in phrases such as ”three-days ago”, “four-inches shorter”, and “fifty-pounds”. There were also several instances where homophones were used. The author often uses rode instead of road, through instead of threw, and want instead of won’t.

Another issue I had was the sentence structure used in the book. There are often misplaced periods and incomplete sentences. These errors disrupted the flow, and made it very difficult to get lost in the story. Due to the poor editing, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It’s a very entertaining story set in the Wild West, but only if one can overlook the multiple errors found in the novel.

Man Killer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 1ditzyrn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

Normally I don't read western novels but this sounds like it would be an enjoyable book to read.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The grammar sounds like it could use a bit of editing. I'm not a fan of westerns. Never have been. So I won't be reading this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

My grandpa was always reading westerns when I was growing up. I might just read this one in honor of his memory. Too bad about the grammatical and punctuation errors. I hope they don’t prove to be too much of a distraction. Thanks for your honest review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

I haven't really explored the western genre but it's something I've been thinking about. I'm interested because your rating is high despite what seems like rampant errors; would you have given a perfect 4 out of 4 were there no mistakes? I ask because finding errors in published books is usually a deal breaker for me, but if the story is phenomenal I might be persuaded to try it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”