Shutter Island ending. WARNING - SPOILER ALERT

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Shutter Island ending. WARNING - SPOILER ALERT

Post by Gannon »

I have just finished reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I am a bit perplexed by the short final chapter. I believe this chapter means that he has been given another chance and has regressed once again and the orderlies are coming to grab him and he will be operated on. However a friend of mine thinks that the book has been a dream sequence, and he and his partner are leaving the island after the storm has passed. I really don't think this is the case. I would love to hear the views of people who have read this book. :)
Retired Teacher
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Retired Teacher »

Gannon
I don't beleive it is a dream sequence (I do admit to only seeing the film) because that kind of ending is kind of a "copout" as my students would say. Kind of a way of ending a story or book when one cannot think of a better ending.
I think he is being taken off to have surgery. What a surprise ending, though, wasn't it.

P.S. Hello to Queensland. I have two Queensland Heeler Dogs and love them
pontalba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pontalba »

Definitely not a dream sequence. I've read the book and seen the film, so am about as sure as one can be of an author's intent. They were taking him away for surgery.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Thanks guys, I am now very sure that my friend is wrong. I have not seen the movie but it sounds like it has the same finish.

Hey there Retired Teacher, they are beautiful dogs. :)
MTReader91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtreader91.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by MTReader91 »

I didn't like the ending either though it seems that it's back to Teddy and not Andrew. Teddy/Andrew does see the metallic reflection from what the orderly is carrying so I would assume Teddy/Andrew is headed for surgery or uncertain death.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”