Official Review: The Dionysus Connection by Liz Cowan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The Dionysus Connection by Liz Cowan

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dionysus Connection" by Liz Cowan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dionysus Connection by Liz Cowan is a crime novel with a good helping of romance on the side.

When Daniela’s (Dani) parents are tragically killed in a burglary gone wrong, she is left with too many unanswered questions. With her uncle the Police Chief, Dani is aware that the case seems to be going nowhere.

When Detective Max and his new partner P.J. are assigned to the investigation, not only do they find new leads, but both the pair and Dani find themselves drawn to Club Dionysus, although for very different reasons. What is the Club’s connection to her parent’s murders, and can Dani finally acknowledge the attraction which she feels to Max, or will she, yet again, hide behind her protective walls?

Written in third person the story follows both Dani and Max, which enables the reader to gain a good insight into both characters. Dani, headstrong and stubborn to the point of extreme, has worked hard to gain her independence, escaping from a past of verbal and mental abuse. Afraid of forming relationships and filled with regret over her mother’s death, her emotions fluctuate dramatically. This makes her all the more relatable as she has very human flaws. Max, while also stubborn and abrasive, has met his match with Dani. Mellowed somewhat by his new partnership with P.J., his character develops well during the story as he sees his own failings and discovers what’s really important to him.

While the story covers a variety of topics such as abuse, murder, torture, stripping, and even the subject of ESP, they are written well so that none of these overwhelms the story. Also, even though there are sex scenes, they are tastefully, rather than graphically, written.

I believe that in order to be classified as a good crime or mystery novel, the reader must be constantly guessing, right until the last minute. While I did pick who the murderer was quite early on, the why behind it was a surprise, along with the twist at the end which I enjoyed.

This was a fast-paced and enjoyable read, however, there were quite a few small errors in punctuation and an occasional missing or misspelt word. While it didn’t interrupt the flow of the story, it would really benefit from another go through with the editor. Due to this, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. This a great book for any crime reader, especially those who enjoy character development and discovering the why behind the murderer.

The Dionysus Connection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds pretty intense with his themes explored. Still, I think it might be a bit much for me. Although, I'm glad that the author is tasteful in his he presents everything.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

This sounds pretty interesting. I like when a little romance is thrown into the story. I'll definitely check this one out. Thanks for your review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

The ability to truly surprise readers with motive (and have that be a believable motive) is quite a talent. This seems like it may be better than the blurb advertised. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I’m surprised something with the name Dionysus isn’t over-the-top steamy and erotic. I wonder why the author chose this name for the title or the club? I think I prefer to keep guessing till the end when it comes to mystery and crime novels though. It can be a real let down when you figure it out too soon and the rest is just wrapping things up for you.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a tasteful read, the character development is great and a good creditable characters always makes a book great. The plot is new and interesting. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This is a solid, thorough review. You've touched on all the things that might make me wary to read this book, and I appreciate your honesty about the editing. Poor editing certainly distracts from a great story.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”