Official Review: The Dionysus Connection by Liz Cowan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
Currently Reading: Hidden
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Maker by Jester Bobbity

Official Review: The Dionysus Connection by Liz Cowan

Post by micoleon13 » 08 Mar 2018, 21:07

[Following is an official review of "The Dionysus Connection" by Liz Cowan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dionysus Connection by Liz Cowan is a crime novel with a good helping of romance on the side.

When Daniela’s (Dani) parents are tragically killed in a burglary gone wrong, she is left with too many unanswered questions. With her uncle the Police Chief, Dani is aware that the case seems to be going nowhere.

When Detective Max and his new partner P.J. are assigned to the investigation, not only do they find new leads, but both the pair and Dani find themselves drawn to Club Dionysus, although for very different reasons. What is the Club’s connection to her parent’s murders, and can Dani finally acknowledge the attraction which she feels to Max, or will she, yet again, hide behind her protective walls?

Written in third person the story follows both Dani and Max, which enables the reader to gain a good insight into both characters. Dani, headstrong and stubborn to the point of extreme, has worked hard to gain her independence, escaping from a past of verbal and mental abuse. Afraid of forming relationships and filled with regret over her mother’s death, her emotions fluctuate dramatically. This makes her all the more relatable as she has very human flaws. Max, while also stubborn and abrasive, has met his match with Dani. Mellowed somewhat by his new partnership with P.J., his character develops well during the story as he sees his own failings and discovers what’s really important to him.

While the story covers a variety of topics such as abuse, murder, torture, stripping, and even the subject of ESP, they are written well so that none of these overwhelms the story. Also, even though there are sex scenes, they are tastefully, rather than graphically, written.

I believe that in order to be classified as a good crime or mystery novel, the reader must be constantly guessing, right until the last minute. While I did pick who the murderer was quite early on, the why behind it was a surprise, along with the twist at the end which I enjoyed.

This was a fast-paced and enjoyable read, however, there were quite a few small errors in punctuation and an occasional missing or misspelt word. While it didn’t interrupt the flow of the story, it would really benefit from another go through with the editor. Due to this, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. This a great book for any crime reader, especially those who enjoy character development and discovering the why behind the murderer.

The Dionysus Connection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!

Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 27
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks by William F. Aicher

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Mar 2018, 12:09

This sounds pretty intense with his themes explored. Still, I think it might be a bit much for me. Although, I'm glad that the author is tasteful in his he presents everything.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads » 11 Mar 2018, 07:21

This sounds pretty interesting. I like when a little romance is thrown into the story. I'll definitely check this one out. Thanks for your review!

NL Hartje
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 113
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Air Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Expendable and Necessary by Ralph Harris

Post by NL Hartje » 11 Mar 2018, 10:29

The ability to truly surprise readers with motive (and have that be a believable motive) is quite a talent. This seems like it may be better than the blurb advertised. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: American War
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by DancingLady » 11 Mar 2018, 21:05

I’m surprised something with the name Dionysus isn’t over-the-top steamy and erotic. I wonder why the author chose this name for the title or the club? I think I prefer to keep guessing till the end when it comes to mystery and crime novels though. It can be a real let down when you figure it out too soon and the rest is just wrapping things up for you.

Sahani Nimandra
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 71
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href=" ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 11 Mar 2018, 22:16

Sounds like a tasteful read, the character development is great and a good creditable characters always makes a book great. The plot is new and interesting. Thank you for your review!
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 409
Reviewer Page:
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Jkhorner » 12 Mar 2018, 12:23

This is a solid, thorough review. You've touched on all the things that might make me wary to read this book, and I appreciate your honesty about the editing. Poor editing certainly distracts from a great story.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”