Review by Hephzi Lolami -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Hephzi Lolami
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by Hephzi Lolami -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Hephzi Lolami » 08 Mar 2018, 21:00

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The reel sisters, by Michelle Cummings is a novel set in Colorado and it is mostly all about friendship and relationship between five women. How they find comfort in what makes them feel at ease and what takes their burdens away. The Reel Sisters is written in first person perspective, in the view of the five women which the story revolves around. The characters were relatable in a great way that I actually imagined myself seeing them.

In the beginning, the book was more like a back story and went into detail on each character, what their pasts were about. The first woman and the one who seems to be the most important person in the book is Rose, a widow who has a special love for flyfishing sport even though she has been doing it since she was younger. She meets the second woman, Sophie in an airplane where they discuss about random life issues and the topic somehow lands on flyfishing; something I had predicted because of how well Rose loves the sport. The two women just seemed to hit it off from there. Veronica is a CEO of her own company, an executive coach for women and I was also not surprised about how easily she rubbed on to the flyfishing sport as well. Melody, a photographer came along the way and though her personality is a bit odd compared to the other women, I love how Mitchell Cummings portrayed her.

I would easily say I love Melody's character the most because she might have not played a great role in the book but the book blended well because she was present. She was someone we readers didn't feel her absence despite how the author had crafted her in her special glory. Lastly, Amanda is also a unique character in the book who struggles to hold herself together even though she has two children to take care of and her husband to worry about because he is on a one year military deployment in Afghanistan.

The theme can easily be pointed out in this book is friendship. The main issue about the flyfishing is that it bonded the women together, gave them a special sense of peace which they found. in each others company as they practiced flyfishing together. Like a get away, flyfishing gives them a special sense of comfort. The idea of flyfishing was also endearing for them as women to do such things which one might have easily considered a man's duty.

I liked the fact that the author made a detailed analysis of the processes involved in flyfishing. It isn't an activity that can be learnt in a second and it involves time, patience and bonding. One has to be calm and give it time. Also, the relationship between the five women despite their backgrounds just reveals that flyfishing isn't a sport that can be grouped by age or status or background. The love and bonding together in order to practice it together is what matters.

However, there was something I didn't like about the book. The beginning of the book, I would say it was a bit too detailed in a way that could easily bore a reader. Too much analysis almost made me lost in the back stories but I found myself after a while. Also there were just a few punctuation errors in it. That was all I noticed though.

The Reel Sisters overall, is a good book which I would recommend to other readers. I rate it four out of four because it portrays friendship, relationship and doing what gives us ease and makes us feel closer to others by just basking in each others company.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hephzi Lolami's review? Post a comment saying so!

Biigggg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Biigggg » 23 Mar 2018, 04:53

The book by Michelle Cummings, The Reel Sister, the topic is clear and the three sisters regardless of their status in life, met because of a sport of fly fishing, the book is okay,l rate it three stars

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”