Official Review: Black Tie Affair by Ken Atri

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Black Tie Affair by Ken Atri

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Tie Affair" by Ken Atri.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel, Black Tie Affair, by Ken Atri, conveys a story about the life experiences of Robert Davenport. Robert runs a club named Club Zyanya, and he is married to Jennifer, who nags and abuses him emotionally on a regular basis. A lady confused, Jennifer seizes every opportunity to put Robert down until one day he decides that it’s time to move on and rebuild his life. Luckily, he has friends, who are like siblings to him. Come what may, they are always there for him. Being surrounded with such dear people, living apart from Jennifer, and seeking solace in alcohol incessantly, can he achieve his desired success and happiness?

Exploring the themes of the beauty of friendship, love, and loyalty, this fiction accentuates the extent of what one can achieve when he is with the right crowd. Without mincing words, this story tells how a good marriage brings out the best in a couple and how a bad one can mar them, even their kids. Again, it makes visible how children suffer the most when they are neglected and displaced due to a bitter divorce, and it exposes how some divorced, single parents have to sacrifice so much to minimize damage.

Although the plot of this narrative is unpredictable, it's shallow. Clearly, there are skimpy details of events and characters, and this made the text less fluid and engaging. Moreover, the dialogues are few and dry. All the characters talk the same way. Written from the third person point of view, the narration keeps going back and forth, and there are ceaseless repetitions of facts. Several characters died at different times from illness, and I was uncomfortable with the number of deaths of loved ones. For certain, this is not a tale for readers that get uneasy reading about much morbid details.

Every now and then, this story spotlights the consequences of the abuse of drugs and alcohol. No less, this book is professionally edited. I noticed only two grammatical errors. In addition, the characters are kind of interesting. For instance, Robert, the protagonist, is nice and caring. However, all the personae were not fully developed, and I found it difficult to connect with them. Romance is included in the narration, but the description of this aspect is superficial.

Finally, whereas this book is easy to read and gets some relevant messages across to its readers, I feel more details should have been added to it. For this reason, I rate it 2 out of 4 stars and recommend it for those who are okay with plain fictional novels involving divorce, romance, true friendships, and the abuse of alcohol and pills.

Black Tie Affair
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I love fictional books about drug abuse with romance thrown in the twist and would love to see how Robert life unfolds throughout his marriage to Jennifer and after his divorce.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I pretty much stay away from any books rated 2 stars unless I find it REALLY, REALLY interesting. I don't think I'll read this one without a little bit of revision from the author. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I like the positive impact of people who surround one's life. Because of them a person can overcame the difficulties he faces, even those in his persobal life. Want to know more how his friends helped Robert moving forward...
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 14:14 I pretty much stay away from any books rated 2 stars unless I find it REALLY, REALLY interesting. I don't think I'll read this one without a little bit of revision from the author. Thanks for the review, though!
I second Kandscreely! But this book sounds like one of my pet peeves. It reads like it was not really ready to publish because it needed more depth and detail, but they published anyway. At least it was edited decently for grammar.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

"this story tells how a good marriage brings out the best in a couple and how a bad one can mar them, " this is so true. Your better half will always know to bring out the best in you so it is always important to get the right one. Too bad your rating is 2 stars but thank you for sharing!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

The title and cover would have made me pick it up. I am a little circumspect about doing this after reading your review. What was this novel's genre? Thriller? Romance? You triggered my curiosity about the abusive woman and the abused husband. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

cristinaro wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 06:03 The title and cover would have made me pick it up. I am a little circumspect about doing this after reading your review. What was this novel's genre? Thriller? Romance? You triggered my curiosity about the abusive woman and the abused husband. Thank you for your review!
Thanks Cristinaro for your comment. The genre is other fiction. You can still pick it up and read it. Always, every book has something to offer, and I'm certain that the author will revise the novel.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 08:57
cristinaro wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 06:03 The title and cover would have made me pick it up. I am a little circumspect about doing this after reading your review. What was this novel's genre? Thriller? Romance? You triggered my curiosity about the abusive woman and the abused husband. Thank you for your review!
Thanks Cristinaro for your comment. The genre is other fiction. You can still pick it up and read it. Always, every book has something to offer, and I'm certain that the author will revise the novel.
I think you're so right about this. Every book has something to offer. That's a great way of looking at books and showing your love for them.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 14:14 I pretty much stay away from any books rated 2 stars unless I find it REALLY, REALLY interesting. I don't think I'll read this one without a little bit of revision from the author. Thanks for the review, though!
That seems like a pretty smart way to go about things on this site. Of course, I've seen some fours handed out to really awful books.

Based on the review, this book sounds like a hard pass for me. I hate it when someone can seem to find a separate voice for their characters and then just resorts to killing everyone off as a way to make the plot somewhat more interesting. Thank you for hanging in on this book so you could warn the rest of us!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I don't love to read books with drug abuse. Thanks for your honest review and saving lot of time
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I was into the plot summary and then you said it was shallow.... too bad, the concept sounds like fun.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”