Official Review: The O'Leary Enigma by Bob Purssell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The O'Leary Enigma by Bob Purssell

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The O'Leary Enigma" by Bob Purssell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having already read the second book in this series, I jumped at the chance to review book one, The O’Leary Enigma by Bob Purssell.

As an adopted child, Barbara O’Leary comes from a loving and supportive home, but she has always felt different from other children her age. A brilliant ice hockey player and go-kart driver, she also has a never-abating thirst for knowledge. This, however, along with her tall lanky frame puts her on the outside with her peers.

In trying to find out more about her biological mother, Barbara discovers a mystery. Determined to not turn out the same way as her mother did, this knowledge affects her life significantly in how she interacts with people.

Drawn to a career in the Navy, Barbara finds herself in the middle of dangerous and life-threatening situations. Will she be able to use her training to her advantage to save her life, and will she ever be able to solve the mystery surrounding her mother?

Written, for the majority of the book, in first person, this story is set up as a fictional memoir, written by a friend of Barbara’s using her notes, diaries, and interviews with her colleagues. I found this a very different, yet interesting style of writing.

As the main character, Barbara is brilliantly written. She is a very literal thinker and while incredibly determined, intelligent and outgoing, she lacks self-assurance regarding her figure and her sexuality. While she is indeed a strong female character, she has many little flaws and quirks which make her realistic.

The other characters are all three-dimensional and believable as the reader sees them through Barbara’s eyes. The overwhelming love for her father and her slightly strained yet loving relationship with her mother provide a believable portrayal of typical parents wanting the best for their daughter while trying to prevent her from making the same mistakes that they did.

Set in the near future, the story travels from the American Plains where Barbara grew up, all the way to Africa following her career in the Navy. I liked the variety of settings as it allowed Barbara to be portrayed in a new light.

An aspect which I appreciated in this book were the footnotes. Each term which may not have been common knowledge, whether it was about ice hockey, go-karting or the Navy, had a numbered link to a list of explanations at the end of the book. I found this very helpful, not knowing much about either of these three topics.

I found very little to criticise here, and after reading the second book, The O’Leary Entanglement, I appreciated the insight into Barbara’s younger character. This was a highly enjoyable read and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this to a wide variety of readers especially those who enjoy good character development, adventure and action. I hope to read more about Barbara O’Leary in the future.

The O'Leary Enigma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I would love to discover how Barbara dealt with feeling indifferent and how her persona grew.,.Admirable review!
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Strong and independent character, want to learn from her...
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

This book sounds right up my alley! I love that it focuses on one person and actually develops her character, rather than letting things just happen to her. Thank you for the honest review without giving too much of the story away!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am trying to figure out if I would like footnotes in a novel or not. It is a unique way to deal with unknown words in a book. Typically books like this would have a glossary at the end or the beginning, but that is much less useful in an ebook than in a hard copy, particularly because a reader often doesn't even know it is there until they have struggled through the entire book, and suddenly discover at the end of all things.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I am usually against footnotes as I feel like it distracts from the story. However, as they were direct links to just that footnote and then you could click back to return to exactly where you were reading, I actually found them much more useful than I thought I would.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

You seem to have enjoyed both books in the series. This is an encouraging sign for all those interested in reading memoirs. I am in favour of the use of explanatory footnotes whenever necessary. You were right to welcome them in this case because not many people, myself included, know so much about ice-hockey or go-karting. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love that the author uses footnotes to help explain terms. Sounds like a great way to do this as this has a military bent to it. I'm not sure it's a book I would enjoy, but I'm glad that you liked it! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I think I might try this book. It sounds like something I would enjoy!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Sounds like an intriguing style of writing from the author.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Interesting choice to use footnotes in a novel. I'm glad it worked out well and that you enjoyed this book so much.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Thanks for a great review! Reading it, I intended to ask you if there was an overabundance of Naval terms that hindered your reading but eureka! the author included footnotes! This seems like an interesting read!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”