Official Review: Citizen Cárdenas by Steve Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Re: Official Review: Citizen Cárdenas by Steve Cole

Post by ayoomisope »

Astute review. Citizen Cárdenas by Steve Cole is a fictional work with a beautiful plot and an awesome narrative. I love when characters are thoroughly grounded and complex. Also, this piqued my interest since it isn't another cliché novel. Congrats on BOTD.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ellastichart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ellastichart »

The story was quite interesting. It'll able to catch readers how the character spoke about the news that he's dead and how they had dwell what truth lies in it.
lionmoon_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lionmoon-3.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lionmoon_3 »

Citizen Cardenas

"...few will know what it means to be hungry, thirsty homeless, or imprisoned."
This quote from the story, for me, touches at the heart of the tale. Not only do few know these experiences, but for those who address them, the poor, like Cardenas, can be "like a bottomless well of need." Yet the love and compassion that developed between the characters, the mystical connections, is truly touching.
I didn't just read the selection, I read the entire book. If you want something you can't put down, whether you have the time or not, read Citizen Cardenas!
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This is such a well-written and thoughtful review! I read a few pages of the book, and I was not sure if I’d like it. However, after reading this review, it is much more appealing! I like that you point out how well developed and interesting the characters are. I’m looking forward to reading this book and to reading more of your reviews!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Dur a cuire

Post by Dur a cuire »

This Book Citizen Cárdenas (by Steve Cole) gives me confusions in a good way, and unfortunately bad as well.

Good confusions because after reading this, it will hunt you forever which what I am looking for this kind of books. The story, characters and events were well organized and perfectly aligned to each other.

Nonetheless, the story-telling gave me confusions. From the very start ( which means the Prologue) the author obviously have difficulties in writing in the english language. The grammar was not good, sometimes you'll read a million times in just 1 line and suddenly give up and just continue reading.

Don't get me wrong. This is a treasure and indeed a story that is worth to read. Just a little push in giving good and more understanding words, then it could be it!
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I'll have to do more research because I'm just not sure about this. I mean, the government thinks he is dead so they stop his checks but what exactly made them think that? I'm intrigued but uncertain.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

The struggle is real sometimes when you deal with government agencies. Almost incredible sometimes. Imagine the struggles of this man presumed dead. What a nightmare. I don't doubt is going to be a great read. Just not for me at this time.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

This book doesn’t seem to be up my alley, but it’s nice to see that it’s professionally edited and has no noticeable errors. I’m glad you enjoyed the book, and thanks for the informative review!
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

This is an interesting book basing upon the depth of your review. I want to read it and find out if Gato will be able to prove his existence. It is nice to know that this book has no errors.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

How do you get to be wrongly declared dead by the government and to be without an ID to prove otherwise? What reasoning guided George's and Alexia's decision to help Gato? What would you do if on either side of the gun? First things first, read the book. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Thanks for the review. Unfortunately, a story that revolves around an immigrant in America, even if it has a good characterization work around its main characters, doesn’t sound like something that I could find interesting.
AmadAhmad
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero

Post by AmadAhmad »

I have read it and i love the characters Gato,George and alexia
Enjoyed it alot
I recommend to everyone
Maricris Grado

Post by Maricris Grado »

Citizen Cardenas by Steve Cole

Such a wonderful idea to the creator, this would be a must read for those who we're recently having issues with homeless pals everywhere,I liked the fact how the story has twist in Gato's true identity and how it showed that there are still who remained hospitable in anyway.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. This story grabs you and draws you in. I want to know more about Gato and how he has survived without ID. I want to know why the Demas help him so much when he was a virtual stranger.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I've added this to my reading list. It sounds different than anything I have read before. I can believe that "their Greek Orthodox religious convictions; their justice-oriented, community-based political involvement" can make a difference in people getting involved to help other immigrants. It happened in the 20s when my dad came over and is still happening today in many communities.

Review really halped me decide. Can't wait to read this book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”