Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by NL Hartje »

harriton muhande wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 07:40 the book is shocking, it has a very good lessons to be learned by today's leadership, "soo nice book"
I agree with you and hope (I mean truly hope and expect) that they would be aware of these events. I hope this book might bring to light the pain that's still alive and possibly bring action.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

NL Hartje wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 23:03
KLafser wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 13:16 Thank you again for this review. I read the book this morning. I agree with you, it's quite moving. I enjoyed how the author incorporated animals into the stories, allowing them to show significance of some of the different events. Again, nice job.
Yes, the metaphors were powerful. Did you liken the story of the "wild dog" character to a homeless man? The man who found his brother's dead body? That was the one I had the hardest time putting into a clear storyline in my head.
That one was one of my favorites, and yes, I did. That one made me sad, but I was also glad he was able to complete his "mission".

I also loved the one about the canaries.

I'm so glad your review was featured in the forum, I would have missed this book otherwise. Thank you again for reviewing it and sharing it with me. :)
Aidyl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aidyl.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aidyl »

It's hard to imagine how horrible mass murders like this occurred and yet are relatively unknown to the world at large. It sounds like an informative but hard book to read.
Jayshay
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jayshay »

This sounds like a great book for a book club discussion. While the topic is very depressing it's important to keep this type of information out there, and for us to read it. Its a great way to get insight into other cultures, as well as our own.
Elvis1+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Elvis1+ »

Hmm!! Very powerful book
With so much difficult words, well
Its good and it broaden my knowledge
Thanks and God bless.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Jayshay wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 22:08 This sounds like a great book for a book club discussion. While the topic is very depressing it's important to keep this type of information out there, and for us to read it. Its a great way to get insight into other cultures, as well as our own.
You're right, I wonder how I could nominate it for a discussion? I'm still new to the club so I'm going to look into this. I think her story can be impactful to many.

Thank you for taking the time to read the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Elvis1+ wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 01:21 Hmm!! Very powerful book
With so much difficult words, well
Its good and it broaden my knowledge
Thanks and God bless.
Thank you so much for reading. I hope you might be pulled to read the book yourself. :P
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Aidyl wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 18:44 It's hard to imagine how horrible mass murders like this occurred and yet are relatively unknown to the world at large. It sounds like an informative but hard book to read.
It was hard and easy. Easy because of its brevity. Hard because of the emotion.
-Dr. Seuss
Pinkyyb

Post by Pinkyyb »

This sound so good. It captures me. Now I feel like I want to really read this book it’s captive❤️
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Pinkyyb wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 13:59 This sound so good. It captures me. Now I feel like I want to really read this book it’s captive❤️
I encourage everyone to try it. It's so short it won't take much more than an afternoon. I would love to hear more opinions on it.
-Dr. Seuss
warami

Post by warami »

thats a nice one
Jackie99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie99.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC

Post by Jackie99 »

I really enjoyed your review. Sounds like a very insightful, penetrating read. I am new to the reviewing process here and your review helped me get a feel for what a good review looks and sounds like. Thank you for that!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

NL Hartje wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 12:02 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Buried Secrets of Peonies" by Mernegar Dorgoly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the late summer and early fall of 1988, over 4,500 Iranian political prisoners were massacred by the government of Iran. For not supporting the new regime of 1979, opponents of the new theocratic government were imprisoned, questioned, tortured and in 1988-murdered. To put this in perspective, one might compare this to the current American presidency executing voters who still supported the losing candidate. It is easily understood why this event would have caused uproar well into the 1990’s. What is difficult to understand, however, is why this butchery has never been acknowledged by the Iranian government or its supreme leader. It is guessed that because of the massive cover-up orchestrated by the supreme leader and his regime, the number of murdered citizens is closer to 30,000.

Approaching the 30th anniversary of this monstrosity, The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly sheds light on the emotional turmoil planted that summer in 1988 Iran and still festering in the hearts of its people today. The author reminisces about childhood when her mother would tell fantastic stories to keep her from recognizing the dark reality of their lives. Now an adult who has emigrated out of Iran, she translates for us a sampling of story-like letters she wrote for her parents to put words to the unspoken anguish.

The eight short stories found in the book offer glimpses into the lives of those affected by the massacre. Each is a breathtaking foray into the depths of the human heart. Each is shockingly gut-wrenching. Her stories follow prisoners waiting with hope for a release that will never come, a wife’s agonizing realization that her husband has been abducted, a daughter recognizing the awful truth of her parent’s deaths many years later, and excruciatingly-five more.

What is commendable about Dorgoly’s work is that all sides of the tragedy are captured, even that of the executioner. All faces of pain are laid bare in this book. The stunningly demonstrative use of metaphor leaves readers in bewildered silence as they experience the griefs of this tragedy. My favorite part about this book was the writing itself. It isn’t often that I am surprised by an author, and I can honestly say the strength and emotion in Dorgoly’s words both surprised and moved me.

If there were something I didn’t like about the book, it would have to be the brevity of each story. As I read, I wanted to know more, hear more, feel more. Each story was presented as if it were a polaroid capturing that one harrowing moment where a person’s soul is stripped of all its meaning. I suggest this book for any mature reader. Its contents are too intense to make any real landing on an undeveloped mind but packs more than a punch for those who have learned to live. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and earnestly hope that Dorgoly’s words bring peace to those still suffering.

The Buried Secrets of Peonies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
The title caught my interest and then seeing the cover, so I decided to read this review. Reading this review has gotten me to think about things in other countries. It is sad for me to consider that I have little to no knowledge of how things are done in Middle Eastern countries, so I hope to read this book to understand more about the culture and the pain that the individuals have been dealt. I'm all for learning and having a deeper understanding of other people, especially since I have a lot of empathy for those that are less fortunate and what leads them to making the decisions that they make. Thanks for the indepth review!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

holsam_87 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 20:50
NL Hartje wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 12:02 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Buried Secrets of Peonies" by Mernegar Dorgoly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the late summer and early fall of 1988, over 4,500 Iranian political prisoners were massacred by the government of Iran. For not supporting the new regime of 1979, opponents of the new theocratic government were imprisoned, questioned, tortured and in 1988-murdered. To put this in perspective, one might compare this to the current American presidency executing voters who still supported the losing candidate. It is easily understood why this event would have caused uproar well into the 1990’s. What is difficult to understand, however, is why this butchery has never been acknowledged by the Iranian government or its supreme leader. It is guessed that because of the massive cover-up orchestrated by the supreme leader and his regime, the number of murdered citizens is closer to 30,000.

Approaching the 30th anniversary of this monstrosity, The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly sheds light on the emotional turmoil planted that summer in 1988 Iran and still festering in the hearts of its people today. The author reminisces about childhood when her mother would tell fantastic stories to keep her from recognizing the dark reality of their lives. Now an adult who has emigrated out of Iran, she translates for us a sampling of story-like letters she wrote for her parents to put words to the unspoken anguish.

The eight short stories found in the book offer glimpses into the lives of those affected by the massacre. Each is a breathtaking foray into the depths of the human heart. Each is shockingly gut-wrenching. Her stories follow prisoners waiting with hope for a release that will never come, a wife’s agonizing realization that her husband has been abducted, a daughter recognizing the awful truth of her parent’s deaths many years later, and excruciatingly-five more.

What is commendable about Dorgoly’s work is that all sides of the tragedy are captured, even that of the executioner. All faces of pain are laid bare in this book. The stunningly demonstrative use of metaphor leaves readers in bewildered silence as they experience the griefs of this tragedy. My favorite part about this book was the writing itself. It isn’t often that I am surprised by an author, and I can honestly say the strength and emotion in Dorgoly’s words both surprised and moved me.

If there were something I didn’t like about the book, it would have to be the brevity of each story. As I read, I wanted to know more, hear more, feel more. Each story was presented as if it were a polaroid capturing that one harrowing moment where a person’s soul is stripped of all its meaning. I suggest this book for any mature reader. Its contents are too intense to make any real landing on an undeveloped mind but packs more than a punch for those who have learned to live. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and earnestly hope that Dorgoly’s words bring peace to those still suffering.

The Buried Secrets of Peonies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
The title caught my interest and then seeing the cover, so I decided to read this review. Reading this review has gotten me to think about things in other countries. It is sad for me to consider that I have little to no knowledge of how things are done in Middle Eastern countries, so I hope to read this book to understand more about the culture and the pain that the individuals have been dealt. I'm all for learning and having a deeper understanding of other people, especially since I have a lot of empathy for those that are less fortunate and what leads them to making the decisions that they make. Thanks for the indepth review!
You're so welcome, thank you for taking the time to read! It seems like many of us (myslef included) could use a little more education on the topic.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Jackie99 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 10:54 I really enjoyed your review. Sounds like a very insightful, penetrating read. I am new to the reviewing process here and your review helped me get a feel for what a good review looks and sounds like. Thank you for that!
I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Welcome to the book club! Please feel free to message me if you ever have any questions :reading-6:
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”