Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by dtb »

Thank you for pointing out this opportunity to learn more about what happened in Iran. I was a teenager when this happened and was not aware of the circumstances there.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thank you for a very powerful and moving review - the book sounds extraordinary, but also quite harrowing. I loved Reading Lolita in Tehran but I'm not sure that I could cope with this.
Haleyanna59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Haleyanna59 »

Interesting
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

At second glance, I can truly sense the raw emotions of this story expressed through your review: very moving and inspiring to read with leaning on the hope of glory. :shock2:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

NL Hartje wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 09:12
ValBookReviews wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 08:02 Amazing recap: This story sounds very captivating. :tiphat:
It was, thank you for taking the time to read!
Indeed! Keep up the great work! :)
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

BeatrixPotter wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 09:50 Thanks for your thoughtful review. I have known that Iran has a brutal regime and this book sheds more light on the toll of human suffering in that nation.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I am humbled to be able to help the author bring more attention to this horrific suffering.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

BeatrixPotter wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 09:50 Thanks for your thoughtful review. I have known that Iran has a brutal regime and this book sheds more light on the toll of human suffering in that nation.
Oh also, Love your screen name!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

KLafser wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 13:16 Thank you again for this review. I read the book this morning. I agree with you, it's quite moving. I enjoyed how the author incorporated animals into the stories, allowing them to show significance of some of the different events. Again, nice job.
Yes, the metaphors were powerful. Did you liken the story of the "wild dog" character to a homeless man? The man who found his brother's dead body? That was the one I had the hardest time putting into a clear storyline in my head.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

dtb wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 14:08 Thank you for pointing out this opportunity to learn more about what happened in Iran. I was a teenager when this happened and was not aware of the circumstances there.
I was young too, dtb. I am ashamed to admit that I had zero knowledge of this horror before reading the book. It makes me sad to acknowledge my ignorance.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Libs_Books wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 14:22 Thank you for a very powerful and moving review - the book sounds extraordinary, but also quite harrowing. I loved Reading Lolita in Tehran but I'm not sure that I could cope with this.
Wow, I've just googled Reading Lolita in Tehran and it seems equally powerful. Thank you for likening the two to one another. I would now like to read it to compare the two viewpoints.
-Dr. Seuss
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

I love the comprehensiveness of your review. However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "one might compare this to the current American presidency executing voters who still supported the losing candidate" ( :? ). Could you please explain this metaphor to non-Americans, like myself. Many thanks.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Wow. Sounds like a very strong book about a dark historic moment. Makes me grateful of the liberties we have in the United States. Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
harriton muhande
Currently Reading: Purgatory's Angel
Bookshelf Size: 107

Post by harriton muhande »

the book is shocking, it has a very good lessons to be learned by today's leadership, "soo nice book"
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 01:53 I'm not quite sure what you mean by "one might compare this to the current American presidency executing voters who still supported the losing candidate" ( :? ). Could you please explain this metaphor to non-Americans, like myself. Many thanks.
Hmmm, I think you could switch out the word "American" in this metaphor for any country with a voting system for their leaders.

Essentially, I'm trying to describe that the person who won the vote would round up the people who voted for the other person and execute them. This could be presidents, prime ministers, chancellors, supreme leaders, emperor etc.

The metaphor certainly can translate to those other than Americans.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review!!
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Yolimari wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 04:31 Wow. Sounds like a very strong book about a dark historic moment. Makes me grateful of the liberties we have in the United States.
It was certainly eye opening. I think the fact that it's still so much a part of the psyche today speaks to how unraveling it was when it happened.
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”