Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lilserenity56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by lilserenity56 »

This is great reading and a great learning experience. As of today things have changed to a degree but there is still war and power used to the peoples' decisions.
The book is a great reading material for our children I believe they need to know and learn from it ..Thank you writer for this book :techie-studyingbrown:
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I love this review. I think this book is very emotive. I don't like reading stories that break my heart but something about how well written this review is, makes me wanna read it.
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by heliz_t »

This sounds fascinating! This kind of book is very important in order to understand the world and humanity. It wouldn't be an easy read though.
precious1999

Post by precious1999 »

The first chapter quite fascinating i love the scary part For example, in the first story prisoners plant peonies in the garden plot outside their cells as a way to cling to hop
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

precious1999 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 12:14 The first chapter quite fascinating i love the scary part For example, in the first story prisoners plant peonies in the garden plot outside their cells as a way to cling to hop
Yes! Have you gotten to any of the other chapters yet!? Was the first your favorite!?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

heliz_t wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 11:17 This sounds fascinating! This kind of book is very important in order to understand the world and humanity. It wouldn't be an easy read though.
It was certainly appropriate for one quiet afternoon of soul searching and emotion :techie-studyinggray:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Raya raymond wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 06:38 I love this review. I think this book is very emotive. I don't like reading stories that break my heart but something about how well written this review is, makes me wanna read it.
Thank you for the compliment to my review! It really is worth reading and it's good because its very short so the emotional turmoil can be harnessed into the scope of a few hours.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

lilserenity56 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 13:57 This is great reading and a great learning experience. As of today things have changed to a degree but there is still war and power used to the peoples' decisions.
The book is a great reading material for our children I believe they need to know and learn from it ..Thank you writer for this book :techie-studyingbrown:
I like that you've notated that our children could benefit from this book. For whatever reason, this never crossed my mind, but it is such an astute obervation. This is precicelly the type of even our children should learn about.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Honourable419 wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 13:43 I didn't feel a huge emotional pull in the first two stories but tas it continued and I started understanding the idea, I realized there was more emotion in the beginning than I originally attributed. This is overwhelming, the writer builds up emotion and suspense simultaneously in the readers mind spurring up a sort flashbacks and imagination.
I reacted in much the same way! I wasn't blown away until the book began to progress and it was then that I began to reflect on the power in the first chapter. Please comment on a forum I've begun about the different chapters. I would to hear your opinion. I think it's called something like "favorite story of the eight."
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kibetious wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 16:05 Nice to see that you were able to give credit to the book and the writer with the 4 out of 4 stars rating. Indeed, the book is good and we all can draw a lesson or two. There is optimism written all over the sad stories that freedom will ring in this nation one day.
I would love to hear more about your thoughts. Which was your favorite chapter? I started a forum called "favorite story of the eight" where we can discuss the different metaphors.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

PlanetHauth wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 00:05 I have to say, I know absolutely nothing about the circumstances surrounding the events of this book, nor do I know anything about the events of this book. I fear too many around the world try to cover up events that should be public knowledge. It's a scary thought realizing just how much influence or power someone can have if they're capable of almost completely covering up the slaughter of nearly 30,000 people.

This seems like a fascinating and, in my case, an important read.
Thank you so much for reading my review, and for your comment. I hope you get a chance to read the book.
-Dr. Seuss
YinDragon_76
Currently Reading: Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yindragon-76.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by YinDragon_76 »

Definitely something I would be interested in reading as I've become very interested in books written by Middle Eastern authors who can open our eyes to the horrors experienced due to growing up in war-torn cities and living under violent tyrannical regimes. I read another book last year in which the narrative centers around the same massacre, which is the only reason I knew of what you were referring to. If you would be interested in reading it, i could try and remember the name and author, I'm pretty sure it's one I own and not something I borrowed from the library. Thank you for your review, I will add this to my Want To Read shelf for sure!
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

So many countries grapple with political prisoners being massacred by the government of the day. Many of these gruesome incidences are covered up and never acknowledged. "The Buried Secrets of Peonies" seeks to illuminate the occurrence of the massacre and in doing so gives voice to those who were affected in Iran. This is a must read book and it has received a worthy review.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

Woah! I love well researched accounts of real world happenings. I was ignorant of the Iranian massacre till now. Looks like the author did a good work with the book. Thank you for your in-depth review!
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
Prof_Reginald_Eke

Post by Prof_Reginald_Eke »

the massacre was inhuman, a tragedy indeed.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”