Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by NL Hartje »

Dolor wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 21:36
I wonder what "Peonies" have got to do with this. Why is this book entitled "The Buried Secrets of the Peonies"?
I wondered the same. The author uses a metaphor on each of her eight short stories. One story was titled "Peonies." It was about prisoners of war who were allowed yard time. During this time one of the prisoners planted peony seeds in the communal recreational space. As the story progressed, the hope that was represented in the peonies was crushed along with the rest.

Thanks for reading my review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Soluoku wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 23:03 Thanks so much for this detailed and thoughtful review, you actually made me interested in giving it a try.
I'm so glad! I hope you do! 8)
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
chrisdon202
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by chrisdon202 »

Such violence, such wickedness and such heartless attitude should be thoroughly investigated and the culprits punished severely, I don't find it OK when sinners go free. Well, the book is a lesson and we have to re-orient our political attitude. People suffers for no reason. I like the book for it is breathtaking and fantastic, thanks for that.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

chrisdon202 wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 11:02 Such violence, such wickedness and such heartless attitude should be thoroughly investigated and the culprits punished severely, I don't find it OK when sinners go free. Well, the book is a lesson and we have to re-orient our political attitude. People suffers for no reason. I like the book for it is breathtaking and fantastic, thanks for that.
So well put chrisdon202! Thank you for taking the time to read my review!
-Dr. Seuss
ravek
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ravek »

It was only a decade after that time that I was witness to certain 'inequities' among peoples in the middle east. It is a sad commentary on the lives of peoples, long before our current ages, that so much has not changed.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The last statement in the review counts much as well, that the book may bring healing to those still suffering from such a bad orchestrated mass killing. The review is well done. The book summary is well put out and is in almost all the paragraphs making it such an amazing work.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

If someone says emotion I never comprehend it, but after reading this review, I blew up.
I don't know what I can tell you. More things might have been done to hide a story like that but the author did the job and i can't imagine how he brought that off. Thanks to him for translating agony into useful document. Your review is understandable and enjoyable. Thank you indeed.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. This sounds like a deeply evocative set of stories about the crimes of the Iranian theocracy. The perspective of being an adult collecting stories that occurred when one was too young to probably fully understand the events is so powerful.

I’ll add this one to my shelf.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

bigirimanacelestin wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 07:20 If someone says emotion I never comprehend it, but after reading this review, I blew up.
I don't know what I can tell you. More things might have been done to hide a story like that but the author did the job and i can't imagine how he brought that off. Thanks to him for translating agony into useful document. Your review is understandable and enjoyable. Thank you indeed.
Thank you for taking the time to read! I so appreciate your kind words!
-Dr. Seuss
Amjourn1

Post by Amjourn1 »

Nice and warming
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

That's why I love books so much. They provide in-depth information that a movie or news person can't give. I liked the analogy of comparing this massacre to our current political leaders. No one wants their dirty laundry aired.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
tanya shukla
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanya-shukla.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tanya shukla »

It's a brilliantly wriiten review of a poweful book. I was aware of the khomeini regime in 1979 but never knew about the massacre of thousands of prisoners. I would love to read this book.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Great review, I always love reading about agony that humankind pass through under dictatorial regimes. This has reminded me of the coup era in most African countries.
Tabithavasquez

Post by Tabithavasquez »

am also ignorant to the circumstances surrounding this book. I can't even imagine the horror they faced, but it sounds like the author did a wonderful job capturing the emotions and translating them to paper.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zilizopita1998 »

I think it would be good to add this book to my shelves.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”