Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by NL Hartje »

Asen Stoyanchev wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 09:10 I imagine that it must have been a difficult experience to write such a book given the tragic circumstances surrounding the story.
Most probably, one feels the same while reading. I will dive into that thrilling read as soon as I can. Your review is descriptive enough, so two thumbs up!
Please come back and tell us what you think if you get the time to read it!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

NL Hartje wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 14:18
Jamasenu wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 22:01 I liked the analogy of comparing this massacre to our current political leaders. No one wants their dirty laundry aired.
Thank you, and thanks for reading! It seems like this laundry could do with a little airing :lol2:
Maybe so. Our political system seems to have diminished itself in being sufficient to run this country. Everyone wants things done their way. By all means pull the laundry out....lol.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Titles of books are very telling. Peonies are flowers that are perennials, so that means it may appear like nothing is in the ground, but suddenly a bloom shows up when the time is right. From your review, this title is very fitting as the victims who were executed for standing up for their beliefs may have been 'brushed under the carpet' until this book came along. It sounds like a heart-wrenching collection of stories. While I would want to know what happened, and the truth should always prevail, it is also a situation where the atrocities of man are disclosed and we can only wish they had never happened. Good job on this one. Your review was beautifully written.
Everything happens for a reason...
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The book is really nice. Just completed reading it and will be posting my review of it soon. It appears that the parents were really secretive.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

NL Hartje wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 14:28
Asen Stoyanchev wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 09:10 I imagine that it must have been a difficult experience to write such a book given the tragic circumstances surrounding the story.
Most probably, one feels the same while reading. I will dive into that thrilling read as soon as I can. Your review is descriptive enough, so two thumbs up!
Please come back and tell us what you think if you get the time to read it!
With pleasure! :)
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
camren mclean
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by camren mclean »

this is a very powerful book ! i love it the author did a wonderful job
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I'm not a fan of books with violence. The high number of people murdered in this review is a threat to my comfort and peace. I'm sometimes thrown into a state of disbelief. This is unfortunate.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Great review! I read the book and I agree on all the points you emphasized. I also loved the author's writing style, and it caught my attention how she focuses on describing what the characters smell. This helped me a lot to get into the atmosphere of the characters' desperate lives. Undoubtedly, the best book of which I had to review so far.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

This would be a very difficult read for me. It’s not a genre I typically get into, but this makes me think about all the tragedies happening in the world that we know nothing about.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kibetious wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 10:26 The book is really nice. Just completed reading it and will be posting my review of it soon. It appears that the parents were really secretive.
Wow, secretive? I guess this is just proof that we all see different things in the same work. I will be looking for your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kwame1977 wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 10:43 I'm not a fan of books with violence. The high number of people murdered in this review is a threat to my comfort and peace. I'm sometimes thrown into a state of disbelief. This is unfortunate.
Just to be clear, I only think one death happens within the pages of the book. The rest are just allusions to events that have already happened. There is really very little violence in this book, it is much more about emotional turmoil.
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

KRay93 wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 12:45 Great review! I read the book and I agree on all the points you emphasized. I also loved the author's writing style, and it caught my attention how she focuses on describing what the characters smell. This helped me a lot to get into the atmosphere of the characters' desperate lives. Undoubtedly, the best book of which I had to review so far.
Ooh, I'm so glad to hear another opinion! Which was your favorite metaphor? I opened a post to discuss this specifically, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
-Dr. Seuss
baseet

Post by baseet »

Wow, I had completely forgotten about hearing little snippets about this on the news when it happened. The numbers are absolutely staggering. This would be a very hard read for me. Worth it, but very hard
AlexxDenise94

Post by AlexxDenise94 »

This was a wonderful book ; idid not think it was gonna happen the way it did .
Lily_

Post by Lily_ »

This was a very fascinating book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”