Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrebarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrebarsa.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by Shrebarsa »

Thanks for your wonderful review. This book has the power to move people and the writing style is very different and unique.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This sounds like a very powerful book that focuses on terrible tragedy. It's great how you connected so much with the author's writing and how moving each story was. It's also very telling that your biggest gripe with the book is that each story was too short. I appreciate your very descriptive and comprehensive review.
M Nshangika
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by M Nshangika »

Thank you for your review. It is really interesting that the author has managed to capture all the facets of a massacre. I am looking forward to reading this.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

This book exposes the tragic state of the Iranian theocratic government and their influence on the people of Iran. Metaphorical expression were much in the book. The book is worth reading.
Gloria_B
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gloria_B »

The few pages I have sampled almost moved me to tears. The author's mother is a hero for shielding her from the harsh environment around. Looking forward to reading the rest of the book.
Kudos :tiphat:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The moving OBC review is the sole reason I will sample this book. I'm always inspired by authors who go out of their way to expose atrocities that governments unleash on their citizens.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

The Buried Secrets of Peonies is a historical masterpiece that touches the soul deeply. Dorgoly beautifully narrates the story of the unbelievable tragedies of 1988 in Iran. I'd love to read this
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Gods Monkey wrote: 10 May 2018, 23:34 After reading the sample on Amazon, I completely understand why the reviewer gave this book a perfect score. The only thing I felt the reviewer failed to mention was how the book gives us a rare glimpse into Islam.
Thank you for reading my review and for your lovely comment!

I did not notice any mention of Islam (or religion in any form) during this book. Can you link to me which pages I've missed these inclusions so I can reread? Were they allusions to religious traditions, or ceremonies...?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Mercy Bolo wrote: 11 May 2018, 03:14 The moving OBC review is the sole reason I will sample this book. I'm always inspired by authors who go out of their way to expose atrocities that governments unleash on their citizens.
Well, that's a glowing commendation if I've ever received one! Thank you!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

tamdlyte wrote: 10 May 2018, 23:54 I'd be interested to see how:
all sides of the tragedy are captured, even that of the executioner.
I'm wondering if, in the tragedy being captured, that the reader feels that the executioner is justified? Cuz I'd find that hard to believe... Hopefully the story will make this clear...
Great question! From my perspective, the story of the executioner wasn't necessarily meant to detail any pain surrounding his job but gave more of an insight into his past and the choices he took/regretted that led him to be in that position.
-Dr. Seuss
Siegel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Siegel »

Wow..such an interesting book...ur talented..keep it up
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Hartje, I think that your review of this novel is spot-on. It is a heartwrenching narrative that is beautifully written. Paradoxically, while this text introduces readers to one of the ugliest episodes in the world, it also spotlights on one of the prettiest flowers in the world that I have ever seen, peonies. Before this text, I was clueless about the appearance of a peony.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Bookmermaid wrote: 20 May 2018, 04:51 Hartje, I think that your review of this novel is spot-on. It is a heartwrenching narrative that is beautifully written. Paradoxically, while this text introduces readers to one of the ugliest episodes in the world, it also spotlights on one of the prettiest flowers in the world that I have ever seen, peonies. Before this text, I was clueless about the appearance of a peony.
Oooh, thank you for reading my review and for your lovely comment. I too love peonies, and hope you get a chance to read the book!
-Dr. Seuss
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Hartje, you are welcome. I got an opportunity to read the book and I published a review also.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Bookmermaid wrote: 20 May 2018, 12:20 Hartje, you are welcome. I got an opportunity to read the book and I published a review also.
Oh really!? I would love to hear which chapter was your favorite. Look for my forum post called "favorite story of the eight" and tell us what you think (you should be able to search for it in the forum search box).
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”