Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rileychae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Featured Official Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies

Post by Rileychae »

Seems like an interesting book but I don’t do history sorry
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

ashley_claire wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 09:45 I am also ignorant to the circumstances surrounding this book. I can't even imagine the horror they faced, but it sounds like the author did a wonderful job capturing the emotions and translating them to paper.
It is true that the author did a nice work writing the book given the immense danger that it put her in. It is never easy to write such when you know that someone will not be pleased.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

This is an awesome review!!! I must admit, I have not read the book, and reading just a few lines of your review at first, my interest was not pique. However, I am glad that I continued on with the reading because your words not only inspired me to read this book, but I felt chills as I was reading your words. I find strength in reading these types of book. Although the content may be disturbing, brutal, and inconceivable to understand the rationale why, being able to hear, to feel, to experience the events through the words of the narrator, gives me greater insight into the mind and hearts of those that endured the incident. The suffering that people went through is truly tragic, being able to connect to their emotions allows me to have a sense of solidarity with them, good or bad. Thank you.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 09:42 This is an awesome review!!! I must admit, I have not read the book, and reading just a few lines of your review at first, my interest was not pique. However, I am glad that I continued on with the reading because your words not only inspired me to read this book, but I felt chills as I was reading your words. I find strength in reading these types of book. Although the content may be disturbing, brutal, and inconceivable to understand the rationale why, being able to hear, to feel, to experience the events through the words of the narrator, gives me greater insight into the mind and hearts of those that endured the incident. The suffering that people went through is truly tragic, being able to connect to their emotions allows me to have a sense of solidarity with them, good or bad. Thank you.
I'm glad you took the time to finish my review! Thank you for your thoughtful response :tiphat:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Sitowise
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sitowise.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Sitowise »

I haven't read the book but I think I will give it a try. "If there is something I didn't like about the book, it would have to be the brevity of each story", woow, no doubt the story is too captivating! Nice review, keep it up!
Abel Kipchumba

Post by Abel Kipchumba »

This work needs more research and use of a bit simple words and phrases. Otherwise the creativity is good
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

You really bring this book to life. I would not have been interested without your review. I love the idea of telling a story from different perspectives in different short stories.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Abel Kipchumba wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 13:31 This work needs more research and use of a bit simple words and phrases.
Please share further! I am always interested in increasing the quality of my reviews. I would love if you directly quoted the parts of my review that you feel I can improve upon!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
djknott1
Favorite Book: Ceremony of the Innocent
Currently Reading: The Widow of the South
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djknott1.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by djknott1 »

I agree that most of the time when I enjoy a story, I want more details. However when I only have a few minutes waiting for my next client, the short story fits the bill!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

djknott1 wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 17:59 I agree that most of the time when I enjoy a story, I want more details. However when I only have a few minutes waiting for my next client, the short story fits the bill!
I am so confused by these last few comments! This book is incredibly detailed! I would love to know more about what you felt was lacking in detail in the book. Inquiring minds want to know!! :techie-studyinggray:
-Dr. Seuss
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Historical injustices are always kept away from the public. I am glad that the review shows how the author covered all the aspects of the tragedy in the book. I don't like reading stories about pain and how ruthless people can get. However, I could give this one a try. Thanks for the review.
Repsaje

Post by Repsaje »

Was a good book as I got to learn about the massacre that happened that was a tragedy and now I know of what happened
OLUWADAMILARE ISACC

Post by OLUWADAMILARE ISACC »

It is a painful story although the Iran government knows the truth but trying to dispute the fact of telling the truth.... kudos to the writer for the eye opening of what is happening in Iran....
Bethanywise24

Post by Bethanywise24 »

I enjoyed it i think the author did a great job
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I'm not comfortable when I hear of wars and murder. Although the review is well written the book is not my cup of tea.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”