Official Review: The independent by Dana L Turk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Official Review: The independent by Dana L Turk

Post by Spirit Wandering »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The independent" by Dana L Turk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would happen if an ordinary American citizen, one without a party affiliation, were to become President? This is the question posed by Dana L. Turk in The Independent. The man in the spot light is Sam Waters. A veteran, building contractor and family man, he lives in the small town of Buffalo, Wyoming. In one of those “going viral” episodes so prevalent in the age of social media, Sam’s letter to the editor of his local newspaper spawns a campaign on his behalf. We follow him through that campaign and the first two years of his administration.

I selected this book because I have a strong interest in politics. While I consider myself a centrist, others might label me a liberal. Reading The Independent gave me a chance to stretch my political comfort zone. I was interested to see how the author would treat the concept of a president without a party affiliation.

Oddly enough, what I both liked and disliked about the book was Sam. I initially enjoyed his character because I strongly agreed with his reason for running. This was a belief that politicians don’t respect their constituents, that political parties cater to their extreme voters and that both are beholden to lobbyists. I also enjoyed some elements of his unconventional campaign.

However, after Sam takes office, I disagreed with his actions. These moves surprised me, as his plans were not revealed during his campaign. Despite arguing that the constitution should be the driver for good governance, he takes a number of steps that I think violate the concepts of checks and balances, separation of powers and equality of the three branches of government. For example, he mandates a monthly joint session of Congress, something the constitution does not give him the authority to do. He also bullies the media with statements such as: “I challenge all of you to report real news and if you do you will be welcome at these sessions and other press conferences in the Capitol. If you prefer to taint the news with yellow press, you will be banned from the Capitol.”

Sam seems to believes there is only one “right” way things should be done and he is going to impose that way, onto Congress, the press, lobbyists and ultimately onto the American people. He feels what he is doing is in the best interest of the country. However, his behavior becomes so outrageous that I briefly wondered if the author had written a satirical work and I was missing the joke. After finishing the novel, I read the introduction again and noticed something I didn’t consider earlier. The author states that, because of the entrenched party system, an independent president would have to: “express an ideology so brash it would draw the attention of … an audience that demands accountability from their elected representatives.” I would agree that Sam’s actions as president were indeed “brash.”

The author has a straight forward writing style that is consistent with his portrayal of Sam. However, the book has a number of errors, as well as run on sentences. Words were capitalized that should not have been, given the context in which they were used. Examples include town, foreign aid, newspaper and veteran. Also, dashes were sometimes inserted where other punctuation marks should have been used.

After much thought, my rating for The Independent is 3 out of 4 stars. I briefly considered giving it two stars but decided that was based on my feelings about the political views expressed in it. After reevaluating it with the same criteria I would use for a less emotionally charged book, such as a murder mystery or science fiction novel, I decided to rate it three stars. It did not reach four stars because of the errors outlined.

I would recommend this book to those who have an interest in politics. However, I would caution that your enjoyment of it may well depend on your political views. I wouldn’t recommend it if you have strongly held liberal or progressive beliefs and don’t want to see them challenged. On the other hand, if you have strongly held conservative or populist beliefs, you probably will like the novel. Even though I did not enjoy parts of the book­, I was still interested in understanding the political arguments presented by the author.

The independent
View: on Bookshelves

Like Spirit Wandering's review? Post a comment saying so!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Seems like an interesting book, not my genre though. Loved the review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

It's great to find well-developed characters. Glad you could find one you enjoyed in Sam!

Also, kudos to you for your professionalism concerning the politics; not everyone, myself included, could have been so unbiased. :geek2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Spirit Wandering

Mouricia25 wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 23:44 Seems like an interesting book, not my genre though. Loved the review!
Thanks for reading my review and for the nice reply!
Spirit Wandering

NL Hartje wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 00:09 It's great to find well-developed characters. Glad you could find one you enjoyed in Sam!

Also, kudos to you for your professionalism concerning the politics; not everyone, myself included, could have been so unbiased. :geek2:
Thanks for your comment. Politics is an important element in my life. So, I was nervous about reviewing the book, since the author's views were often different than mine. I'm happy to hear that you thought I succeeded in my review's effort to be fair and balanced.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems a interesting plot that reflects on the current reality of the political world. As you mentioned it is a book for the readers who are fascinated by politics. Glad you enjoyed it but I will pass for now. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's very difficult to rate a book objectively when it espouses something with which you disagree. I admire the fact that you were able to step back and objectively assess it. I try not to read political fiction as I get enough politics in day to day life, so I'll stay away from this one. Appreciate your review, though! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 08:17 Seems a interesting plot that reflects on the current reality of the political world. As you mentioned it is a book for the readers who are fascinated by politics. Glad you enjoyed it but I will pass for now. Thank you!
Thanks. I picked this book because I think it is important that we try to bridge the gap between opposing political groups by each of us working to understand the perspective of those who are on the opposite site.
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Politics to me is "meh" but nevertheless, fantastic review!
Spirit Wandering

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 08:22 It's very difficult to rate a book objectively when it espouses something with which you disagree. I admire the fact that you were able to step back and objectively assess it. I try not to read political fiction as I get enough politics in day to day life, so I'll stay away from this one. Appreciate your review, though! Thanks!
Given the current political climate, I can understand your feelings. Thanks for reading the review and replying.
Spirit Wandering

prettysmart wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 20:32 Politics to me is "meh" but nevertheless, fantastic review!
Thanks for the compliment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”