Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Thanks for your review. I am glad that reading the book touched you. I am glad you survived. It has been 5 years since I loss my Dad to cancer. It is definitely a sensitive subject for me. This novel sounds like it is definitely an emotional one. It sounds like although it is a sad subject there are some happy memories reflected upon. It sounds like it may be interesting but I do not think this one is for me. Congratulations on getting BOTD!
Mockingjayp4235
Currently Reading: Pour L'amour de Dieu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mockingjayp4235 »

This book is a wonderful story and it impacted me more than others. The little girl's story was very inspirational.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

Sounds like an emotional ride. I like finding books that are relatable, while I have not personal had cancer, my grandmother is a breast cancer survivor. This sounds like a story I may end up sharing with her.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I read the sample and enjoyed it. I did think the sample at points became very religous, which I am not against, but I also do not want to read a book that pushes religion either. I'm glad to hear that the story got back to Nichole. I will definitely have to check this book out. Thanks for the review.
srensch1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srensch1.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by srensch1 »

The official review indicates that the reviewer was deeply touched. And I agree with her that contemplating death is a healthy thing. But in reading the sample, I had trouble relating to Nicole, which will probably keep me from reading the book.
AReader3
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by AReader3 »

Mary, I truly appreciated the vulnerability of your review! Your insight into the story makes me want to read When Pigs Fly and it sounds like I should do so with a box of tissue by my side. Awesome!
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

The journey that we take as we leave the physical plane is a source of much debate for many people in various genres; however, one constant remains the same: we want to believe in something. We want to believe that there is a process for our journey from here to there, wherever we believe there to be. In this story, the character transcends her experience early based upon her age and young experience. She colors her new environment based upon her youthful observations. This unaffected canvas is endearing and pure. As a personal aside, I am glad to hear that you are a survivor, which I hope means that you are safely in remission. I wish you good health. :)
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

The emotional journey of a young girl’s experiences after dying of cancer sounds interesting. I don’t think this story is for me, but I’m sure there are many others like you who can relate and find comfort in the journey.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Books of tragedy genre have a compelling thing.hope this book lives up to it. You are brave enough to share your personal experience. Proud of you.
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

I think it is a natural thing to wonder about once we pass beyond the " the pearly gates " . Since my parents died, my belief has held that they are still with me esoterically watching over me and there to guide me, just in a different sense. It is my hope that I will join them one day, for it is something that has been promised through my religious beliefs. Death is something that once you begin to get closer to in terms of time, a sense of nervousness abounds yet for those on the absolute brink they have said a calmness about what is next is what they feel. I am not sure about either.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

I think this would be a good book for anyone to read. We all want to know what really happens after we die. Since this young girl had passed from cancer I think it will touch each reader differently. Those that can connect by having or had cancer, those that have loved ones that passed from cancer, and those that knew someone with cancer. I have added it to my must read list.
lexiskill
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiskill.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by lexiskill »

This book started off way to slow for me. I was not drawn in as quickly as normal but once I realized what the book was about it seems like an interesting topic. A different take on a little girls progression of an illness and the memories that come back to her after death.
Deadlock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Deadlock »

This definitely sounds like an interesting read for sure, I'm glad you enjoyed it, I may end up trying to get it myself. Thanks for such a good review.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am happy that you could easily relate to the story as a cancer survivor. The book seems to be very well written. However, the fiction stories based on the after-life don't pique any interest in me. I'll pass this one.
Nandy
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 170

Post by Nandy »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like a good book and I am very happy that you are okay and will pray that it remains that way

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”