Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raymonds Jesse
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by Raymonds Jesse »

From your expression,it seems that this book really exposes to an immerse level,the effects of the travails of life on one's emotion.Can't wait to read this book
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

Wow. This story is really touching. I'm already getting curious about what happens when one dies. This book seems to be interesting, educational and inspirational. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks to the reviewer. You did a great work on this book.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

Wow - I was expecting a children's story from the title and cover. Reading about young people who battle and eventually lose their lives to cancer is something that upsets so much that it makes me physically ill. I do think it is important to address, but I don't think I would be able to read this book. Thank you for the review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This is an interesting concept but not a story I can read right now. Having just found out that a 12-year-old cousin has leukemia, I don't think I could stomach a story about a young girl dying of cancer. I can see how this book might be beneficial to those who are struggling with grief though or those who may believe their time is near and they want to be reassured that the lives of their loved ones will go on. I don't really think the cover art suits the theme of the book. It is quite odd.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This seems like a unique and sweet topic. Young Nicole dying because of cancer could definitely cause some distress for her family. Losing a child is never easy, so perhaps this one can be reading a book like this could provide comfort to the families who lost someone due to cancer. I wish you good health and I'm glad that this book moved you. Too bad about the confusion of the next part of the journey, but it's good to know that this didn't deter from your enjoyment of the book. I'm glad you found this to be a beautiful and comforting piece of literature. Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Great review! A book written from a life after death point of view sounds intriguing. However, it seems a bit too heavy for my reading tastes.
primeRex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primerex.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by primeRex »

Sounds like a really interesting read, one that would have lots of fantastic action in it. Moreover, it leads the reader to sober reflection, making it one of such books needed in our world today to achieve some level of pure humanity. Thanks for the review.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This sounds like an emotional tour of a battle with cancer and the thoughts that one might have as they prepare for their afterlife. I am really curious about the different parts Nicole's journey. Because she is a young girl, I know this particular story will be too sad a read for me at this time. Thank you for the great review and sharing your personal connection to it.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Susan Fries' When Pigs Fly is a fictional tale that revolves around a young girl's horrible condition and fantastic journey - giving the readers a different perspective on the world we live in and the world beyond.

It's an emotional read. I might as well need boxes of tissues beside me while reading the entire contents of this book. Thanks for the succinct review.

#Fiction #Journey #Death #Loss #Comfort
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

Although I appreciate the subject matter, I will not b picking up this book any time soon. It looks good, just not my thing.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
AdriLisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by AdriLisa »

When I started reading the story I was sure it was all about someone expecting something out of life and got something else. I found it a little difficult to understand till I heard the sounds myself. From a distance.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

This sounds like an excellent book for anyone who is going through grief associated with the loss of a loved one. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I was very touched by your review and I think I’d be touched by this book.
I lost my dear father to cancer and I’m sure whatever his journey was after leaving Earth, it was filled with love.
I can’t imagine facing the afterlife as a little kid but I sure want to find out what this inspiring tale has to say about it.
Thank you for a very heartfelt and honest review.
Oluwalonipraise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Oluwalonipraise »

[amazon=][/amazon]It really interesting I wish the author explain more better but all the same. We still got to know what will happen after everyone death. it just life after death
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

This story moves me. Nicole’s journey contains the things that were important to her - her friends and family, the memories, the sights and smells from her young life. I appreciated that her palace encompassed everything that anyone could ever want. And I thought that would be the end of her journey. Alas, I was mistaken.
This is a very unique perspective in dealing with the death of a young person. Just from the sample I can see how different parts of her life are featured.

Thanks for your review.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”