Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mark Ronald
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by Mark Ronald »

The book is quite thrilling and breathe taking at the point when, the girl is shadowed by the imaginations clouding her mind with the mindset of being left behind and a feeling of fright overcome her throughout the whole time. Very good book.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Thanks for a very moving review and congratulations on BOTD. The question of what happens after death is one whose answer is elusive. Reading this book will definitely make me cry, a small child being lost to cancer.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

The protagonist in When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries is an 11-year-old girl named Nicole who has just died of cancer and whose soul is transitioning to the afterlife by revisiting, perhaps for the last time, the most important people, places and events in her life. Having read the first few chapters in Amazon, I think that perhaps only children like the character of Nicole are assured of a wonderful afterlife. I think so because children's innocence and open-hearted purity give off a positive energy that they can bring with them in the afterlife. Adults have so much complications in their lives, so many unsettled businesses, even demons, that their energies are as much positive and negative. If the afterlife were true and indeed we would make a journey through a transitional world to the afterlife, how would those worlds look like for adults, especially those with checkered pasts? Do you believe in a soul? I do even beyond the definitions set by established religions. But as an adult in this era, I have to contend with the possibility that there might not be an afterlife after all, and that ultimately, our life here on earth is all that we ever have, whether we have a soul or not, and that when we die, it is like a switch-off. The end. Nothing bad about that, although I'd prefer Nicole's farewell tour to be honest. It's so comforting, compassionate, kind and hopeful. This book, I think, is more for the grieving people than for the beloved child who passed away. I hope it will inspire and assure in a time of grief. I value MaryBurris' review of the book because as a cancer survivor, she has stared into an abyss and knows the feeling. For those interested in this book, we learn from MaryBurris that Nicole's farewell journey is not as simple as we would expect.
Mnkingsto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mnkingsto »

I loved your review, it gave me an immediate feeling of emotion, which very much intrigues me to read this book. As well as a curiosity for another Perspective, in life after death as Im one of those non religious readers.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I like books written to identify with what people go through. This one sounds like a deeper one and it must end up in my "want to read" list. A book like this that talks of afterlife is a must read.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

This sounds like a very emotional and deep story. I would like to read this book, although it would probably also make me cry. Thank you for your review.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This seems like an interesting book. It sounds like the little girl died from cancer, and is now transitioning into some kind of afterlife. This could be an important book to read for people suffering from this disease, so that it could give them some hope. Thanks for your review.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. The topic of the book is unconventional and begins with an imaginary world where pigs could fly. I was not able to stay hooked with this book while sampling the first few chapters and was also confused. So the audience should first read the first 2-3 chapters and decide if this suits them.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
MeganMcC
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts

Post by MeganMcC »

Thank you for such a meaningful review! I would not have guessed that a book with such a title would contain such lofty subject matter! I am definitely interested in reading the book following your review. You pulled on our sentiments regarding not only death but cancer as well. I also love how you tease us about a circumstance in the book! I have to go find out what happened! ☺
jojogebs123
Currently Reading:

Post by jojogebs123 »

A tear jerker, Huh? I like these kinds of stories because they tend to make you feel more appreciative towards the little things that you have in life. The paradoxical title, 'when pigs fly', on the other hand, is it like a hidden way to say that, "impossible can become possible"? The review makes me feel as if I know half the story already so thanks for it.
Parkdem1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Parkdem1 »

In every situation, no matter how tensed that situation is, let not lost hope... This is so emotional... It really touched me... Really don't like reading stories of this nature but just appreciated dis one...

It's really worth reading.
nice 2 rv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by nice 2 rv »

I would like to read this book because there is a typical akan saying which says "wo nnim owuo a hwe ena."Meaning, If you don't know how death is like, look at sleep. And I guest it's true.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

Sounds like an intriguing story. It is always great when we can find a story that is so meaningful to us. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”