Official Review: Spectrum by Jennifer Roush

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Spectrum by Jennifer Roush

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spectrum" by Jennifer Roush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spectrum by Jennifer Roush is an anthology of short stories from different genres. Each story is written by different authors. The short stories are organized into the colors of the rainbow. For example, the first section is Red which tries to lure in readers, so all the stories in this section go with that theme. The unique thing about this book is that each of the stories was rejected by other publishers. The rejected stories were then revised so that they were able to be published in this book.

The rest of the book is broken down into five more colors. In the Orange section, the stories represent a warning to the dangers ahead or the disaster that is about to strike. In this section, the genres range from science fiction to bizarro. The next section is Yellow which consists of stories that are light-hearted. The following section is Green which represents hope. This section consists of genres that range from dramas to science fiction. After Green is Blue which represents loss, and the stories included in this section range from drama to fiction. The last section is Purple which represents the turning point. Most of the stories that make up this section are thrillers and mystery.

Out of all the sections in the book, I found the Purple section to be the most interesting. This section mostly had stories under the thriller or mystery genre which is a genre that I generally like to read. I also enjoyed some of the stories from the Yellow and Green sections, especially the ones that have a happy ending. In one of the short stories titled "Skipping Rocks", a dad is teaching his daughter on how to skip rocks. He considers skipping rocks to be something that every kid needs to learn. When the dad accidentally kills a duck by trying to skip a rock, he realizes that his daughter is going to learn two lessons that day.

I had to keep an open mind while reading this book because there were genres that I usually do not like to read. For example, one of the genres in the book was erotic fiction. I don't ever read erotic fiction, so I was a little uncomfortable as I read that story. Besides that one genre, I found the rest of the stories to be interesting to read. What I liked the most about this book was that each story had a distinctive voice to it. The authors' writing styles made the book more intriguing to read.

Overall, I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed most of the stories, and I like the way that this book is set up. I noticed a couple of errors like punctuation mistakes, but they didn't detract from the book. I would recommend this book to those who like to read short stories.

Spectrum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I applaud you for making your way through the genres that didn't interest you. As much as I love anthologies, I fear I'd be tempted to skip some of the stories. I also like the way the book is split into sections by color, but my favorite point that you made is that the stories were previously rejected before being redone and included in this tome; that's very inspiring for aspiring writers... Thanks for the great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea of organizing the stories by committee like this. However, I don't read erotic fiction either. So I'd probably skip that section. Still, it might be worth looking at. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

MsTri wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 01:06 I applaud you for making your way through the genres that didn't interest you. As much as I love anthologies, I fear I'd be tempted to skip some of the stories. I also like the way the book is split into sections by color, but my favorite point that you made is that the stories were previously rejected before being redone and included in this tome; that's very inspiring for aspiring writers... Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for commenting!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

What an interesting concept! I honestly thought from the title it was going to be stories about kids with autism. Having just finished an anthology of short stories, congratulations. Sometimes those are harder than a book with a single plot. Which section was your favorite? Did you think the color categorizations accurate?
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a good book with a mix of everything. It's very difficult to come across a good book like that. Yes, you are correct about been open minded when reading a book of mixed genre. I think I will love this book since it has a bit of everything like life does. Definitely on my bookshelf! Thanks you for your detailed!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

ZenaLei7 wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 00:31 The unique thing about this book is that each of the stories was rejected by other publishers. The rejected stories were then revised so that they were able to be published in this book.
Wow, this is unique! Kudos to the editor for recognizing the potential and pulling it together. Thank you for your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Jkhorner wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:02 What an interesting concept! I honestly thought from the title it was going to be stories about kids with autism. Having just finished an anthology of short stories, congratulations. Sometimes those are harder than a book with a single plot. Which section was your favorite? Did you think the color categorizations accurate?
I thought the exact same thing, autism. I would not have thought colors and anthology. I think the idea is clever, but I am not really a fan of anthologies, although I feel like I should be. I am trying to embrace the short story, as I know it is really a test of writing skill, but I just am not a fan.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 10:34 I love the idea of organizing the stories by committee like this. However, I don't read erotic fiction either. So I'd probably skip that section. Still, it might be worth looking at. Thanks!

Thanks for commenting!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Jkhorner wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 17:02 What an interesting concept! I honestly thought from the title it was going to be stories about kids with autism. Having just finished an anthology of short stories, congratulations. Sometimes those are harder than a book with a single plot. Which section was your favorite? Did you think the color categorizations accurate?
My favorite section would be the yellow section since most of the stories were light hearted and had genres that I really like. Yes I do think the color categorizations were accurate.
Greta Morgan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greta-morgan.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Greta Morgan »

I love anthologies, and your review gave me the go-ahead to check this one out. I love that the stories were rejects once upon a time and given the chance for redemption. Thanks for the thorough review.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Exceptional review! I now realize that the title is very fitting as this is a mixed genre. Different genres of the spectrum ha! A book that gives a little bit of everything
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Stories organized following the rainbow colors? Wow! That sounds very interesting. I love this style. Since each color represents a theme or themes, the readers can select the color(s) that they prefer to read. I'll start with yellow, and then continue with purple. Thanks for this colorful review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”