Official Review: Model Marine by Sondra Sykes Meek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Model Marine by Sondra Sykes Meek

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Model Marine" by Sondra Sykes Meek.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emotional. Compelling. Intense. Brilliant. All words I would use to describe Model Marine by Sondra Sykes Meek. Classified as other fiction, I highly recommend this novel for anyone who enjoys a spellbinding read.

Molly Monroe enjoys acting on stage; her mother has had her in beauty pageants since she was a toddler. She and her best friend Beth are planning on attending the North Carolina School of the Arts together. Molly surprises everyone the summer after graduation, though, when she enters the Marine Corps.

Her mother is furious and refuses to talk to her. But life in the military is good for Molly. Stationed in Afghanistan as a Combat Camera Marine, she takes photographs and writes articles for publication. She only wishes that she would be allowed outside the wire once in a while.

Molly's story is told in flashes much as the pictures she takes with her camera. The author skillfully weaves the plot together going backward and forward in time at will. Rather than be confusing, this adds a hint of mystery as the reader pieces together what has happened. I was so enthralled with the glimpses of information I was getting that I couldn't stop reading until I assembled the whole picture. Ms. Meek does so well at letting the reader know who is speaking and giving clues about the time frame that at no point did I get lost.

I also appreciated the author's handling of military terms; as a civilian I often get bogged down by abbreviations, acronyms and slang. I didn't feel that way in Model Marine. The occasional unfamiliar term is mentioned, but the author leaves enough clues to understand what's happening without googling every other word. Thus, my focus was entirely on the story instead of on simply trying to figure out what was being said.

If you are at all familiar with my past reviews, you may know that I'm a stickler when it comes to editing. Nothing is worse than a great story that's riddled with errors as this takes away from the flow of the book. I'm thrilled to say that this book was very well edited. More than that, though, the story is so captivating that I found myself not even looking for errors. For me, that is entirely out of character, but that's how well-written this is.

There is no hesitation or uncertainty in my rating of this book. I rate Model Marine a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I honestly can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy this book other than perhaps those who suffer from PTSD (as it might bring back unpleasant memories.) To end my review, I'd like to leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the book. It takes place when four female Marines (including Molly) are discussing their friendship.
We're like gumbo, ya know? A unique dish, enriched by our diverse cultural influences, served together, to produce a most satisfying result.
Model Marine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Quick, sign me up! The sudden switch from the 'dolls kingdom' to the 'fast and furious' world of the military would be something of a head-spinner; they're so far apart. I'm very curious to know what was going on in Molly's head when she made that decision. So, I'm definitely in! Bonus points for being error-spotless too. Thanks for this engaging review, kandscreeley, with just enough juice to whet my appetite into reading the book.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Vickie Noel wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 07:38 Quick, sign me up! The sudden switch from the 'dolls kingdom' to the 'fast and furious' world of the military would be something of a head-spinner; they're so far apart. I'm very curious to know what was going on in Molly's head when she made that decision. So, I'm definitely in! Bonus points for being error-spotless too. Thanks for this engaging review, kandscreeley, with just enough juice to whet my appetite into reading the book.
Thanks for your comments! It really is worth a read. I felt unworthy just to write the review of such a wonderful book!
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Good to know that you enjoyed reading this book. I'm not into military but the quote makes me think otherwise. Sounds interesting.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 11:18 Good to know that you enjoyed reading this book. I'm not into military but the quote makes me think otherwise. Sounds interesting.
It's more human interest than military. I'd recommend it even if you aren't normally a military fan.
—Neil Gaiman
polar_palm_tree
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Tofu From Scratch
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polar-palm-tree.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by polar_palm_tree »

I really enjoyed reading your review. I have not read Model Marine, but after reading your review, I am heading over to Amazon to pick up a copy. Thanks!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Seems to be worth a read. I love stories related to photography.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

It's a good one for sure! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Great cover and your review makes the book even more intriguing. I want to piece together the pieces too!

Thanks for stopping by my review.
Rusty_Nails
Currently Reading: The Nobel Prize
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rusty_Nails »

It's about passion rather than just wanting to be a military..good book to read for sure..
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like it might be an inspirational choice for high school girls, who are getting ready to make big choices. There are many ways this could be a benefit to them, from inspiration to seeing how it's okay to make decisions based on our desires, rather than our family's desires.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CatInTheHat wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 18:04 This sounds like it might be an inspirational choice for high school girls, who are getting ready to make big choices. There are many ways this could be a benefit to them, from inspiration to seeing how it's okay to make decisions based on our desires, rather than our family's desires.
Absolutely. There's a wide audience here. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm really glad that this book was so enjoyable. I almost selected it to review, but it was snatched up before I got my last review done! I love the idea of seeing the Marines from a woman's point of view and I'm so very happy that she seemed to have done this book justice.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

You've hit on the three things I always want to know before starting a book: will the settings confuse me? will I have to google a bunch of unfamiliar terms? and did the editor do a good job? I'd love to dive into this book and learn Molly's story!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:52 I'm really glad that this book was so enjoyable. I almost selected it to review, but it was snatched up before I got my last review done! I love the idea of seeing the Marines from a woman's point of view and I'm so very happy that she seemed to have done this book justice.
Me too. The author is a retired marine so I think that helped make the book realistic! Thanks for the comment.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”