Official Review: Unremarkable

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: Unremarkable

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unremarkable" by Geoff Habiger and Coy Kissee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Saul Imbierowicz is perfectly content with his unremarkable life. He’s got a new job at the post office, an apartment to himself, and a stunning girlfriend to boot. Life is good in Chicago in 1929 – at least until the massacre. When Saul gets caught in the crossfire of a gang shootout, he suddenly finds himself in a bind. Two rival mob bosses, none other than Al Capone and Bugs Moran, are both breathing down his neck with an offer he can’t refuse: find some sensitive documents or risk losing everyone he loves.

Unremarkable, by Geoff Habiger and Coy Kissee, is a tight, fast-paced historical thriller with an extra dash of the supernatural thrown in for good measure. I enjoyed every minute of it despite a couple of minor complaints, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The authors did a fantastic job of bringing Prohibition-era Chicago to life – the gangsters, the speakeasies, even the Yiddish slang that Saul is quite fond of using. The story is rich in details both big and small, from Saul’s quirk of calling ladies ‘dames’ to his stumbling into the middle of a very real firefight – the Saint Valentine’s Day massacre. I’ll admit that I’m not a scholar of the Chicago mob scene, but it’s still obvious that the authors did their research. The authenticity of the atmosphere kept the story believable even when some supernatural twists were thrown into the mix.

So, the setting was good. What about the characters? Have no fear: I fell in love with Saul instantly and I’m sure you will too. He was endlessly fun to read – he’s got a quip for every occasion and even though he’s in over his head and, at times, scared out of his mind, he’s definitely not a doormat. Seeing him tackle obstacle after obstacle in order to protect his family kept me on the edge of my seat. Habiger and Kissee lay the tension on thick, and it was really tough to put this book down when I was so invested in Saul’s plight.

As for the ending, let’s just say that it’s one doozy of a cliffhanger, but the authors’ note at the end suggests that Saul’s story will pick right back up in a further installment. I’ll be anxiously awaiting the next book, Untouchable.

As much as I enjoyed this book, I do have one gripe. It’s in desperate need of another round of proofreading. Don’t get me wrong, the errors are minor and didn’t cause any confusion, but the punctuation mistakes and occasional inconsistencies really stuck out in writing of this caliber. There were a few places where the narration repeated itself, as if a section had been rewritten but with part of the original left in.

Due to the grammar issues, I can’t give Unremarkable a full four-star rating, but the lovable characters, full-bodied atmosphere, and nonstop tension are enough for me to wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone in the market for a good thriller. Be advised, however, that the book does contain sexual themes and foul language that are a bit too mature for even a young adult audience. For the right age group, though, I rate Unremarkable 3 out of 4 stars.

Unremarkable
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oh wow! The story is gripping already! A guy that finds himself in the middle of a mob shootout? It's too bad about the errors. Maybe the author will get some proofreading done, and then I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, what a fun scenario! I'm sure it's very engaging with all of the mobsters!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This book does look interesting, but these days I prefer to do my leisure reading on a well-edited book. Hopefully, the author will take the time to do that.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Thank you all for the kind comments. :)
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Interesting setting, but I do not like cliffhangers, they're just a lazy way to write. It's unfortunate there were so many errors. Good review though :)
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

1929 Chicago is an utterly fascinating setting; I'm glad the writing lives up to it! I think I'd get distracted by the errors too, but thanks for the thorough review of the plot and characters!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

Cant tolerate errors, they stick out like sores but nonetheless sounds like a fantastic read according to your review....Commendable!
Chebet 14 online
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Chebet 14 online »

The use of slang makes an t rather interesting for young adult readers,however I must say no one reading a book with grammatical errors.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

A good, concise review, but I'm not keen on reading books with too many grammatical errors, so I'll probably take a rain check on this one until the author manages to do that proofreading you recommended ;)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”