Review by Farmgurl1 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Farmgurl1 -- The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson is a story about the life of a famous circus performer who is always chasing the next adrenaline high, and a young man recently out of high school whose destructive indulgence of alcoholism and partying lead to his spiral out of control.

The novel is divided into three parts. The first part is the reader’s introduction to the famous sword swallower, Duke, and follows his life as a circus performer. The reader learns that Duke drinks heavily, uses methamphetamines regularly and lives each day like it’s his last. The second part of the story involves Gary Robinson, also known as a Chico Kid in the story. Gary’s story is basically about moving from one drunk day to the next and all of the trouble he creates for himself and others. Gary is a good guy, but can’t seem to get his life together to do much of anything productive. The final part of the story is about Duke and Gary meeting, becoming friends and their interactions.

This novel was very disjointed in my opinion. I absolutely loved the first part about Duke and his life. Duke is a very interesting character and this part of the book was fun to read and the characters are hilarious. The second part of the book where we meet a Chico Kid is less interesting. I really got tired of the drinking and partying and the roasting of the mammoth from the museum really put it over the top. I also felt like the author depicts women in a negative way. They all seem to be drunk lushes who can’t hold their alcohol. The final part of the book was the most confusing and the moment that the story took a sharp dive downhill for me. I didn’t understand the philosophical religious debate between the two characters and it wasn’t a compelling story line.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. While I enjoyed the first half of the book, the second half lacked the same luster. I can appreciate the notion that there are two distinct characters who have substance abuse issues that have led them both down dark paths, but the simplistic interaction between the two was not particularly the climactic moment for which I was hoping.

In summary, I think the book would appeal to readers who are not looking for complicated plots that keep the reader guessing and are more interested in character development. I also would not recommend this book to anyone who is easily offended by drugs, alcoholism or the ideas associated with atheism.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Thanks to your review, I have known that the author depicts women in a demeaning manner which is not interesting at all. You did a thorough job in writing the review-very informative.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”