Official Review: The Karma Chronicles Part I

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: The Karma Chronicles Part I

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Karma Chronicles Part I" by Pepper Carlson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Remind me how it is that society defines insanity; doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? Regrettably, this is how the main character in Pepper Carlson’s novel comes to describe the painfully destructive cycle in which she finds herself. The Karma Chronicles (Part 1): Hadrian’s Seal is a spiritually ripe portrayal of the payments rendered when a soul is born into a life of karmic debt.

The narrative follows the life of a twin, whose other half died during birth but remains divinely connected to her during life. Much of the story is presented through the eyes of the twin who passed (referred to as the Doppelgänger) as she watches over the surviving twin, Kate. The Doppelgänger, who is never named otherwise, resides in another realm with the archangels Michael, Gabriel, Uriel, Zadkiel, and Raphael. Together, they try to shepherd Kate through the events of unavoidable emotional despair.

Kate’s troubled youth is riddled with instances of “negative-love,” and her emotional armor cracks a bit each time she acquires a new statistical label. First, she is the neglected child, then a bastard child, horrifically next she’s a rape victim, and lastly a teenage foster child. The Doppelgänger pleads with the angels to do more than send good thoughts, but they refuse and explain that Kate must suffer these experiences to gain the wisdom needed to escape the pattern of restitution. It is eventually revealed that Kate’s karmic debt was accrued in a previous existence by Lord Hadrian. She must learn to break herself out of the payment rotation before she is stuck there forever.

This book presents profound theology surrounding the fundamentals of karma and how its balance passes through generations. Kate ultimately learns tools to free herself from the chain of debt repayment, but readers must wait to see if she will follow through in the coming books.

The substance of this book lies not within the story but the provocative coping mechanisms demonstrated by the author. The restorative theories are uplifting and propose a sense of calm which I enjoyed while reading. Touches of self-guided imagery hypnosis and meditative poetry persuade readers (and Kate) to let go of self-sabotage and embrace enlightenment through struggle.

Carlson’s celestial imagery and inspiring prose made this book rejuvenating and gratifying. Although the writing was engaging, Kate had repeated dreams about a dragon that were never explained, and because of this, I was sadly let down and confused. Also, the repetition of similar scenarios to illustrate karmic cycles stifled the flow and my interest in the story. So, for the parts I liked and didn’t, I am rating The Karma Chronicles 3 out of 4 stars. I think this book could prove to be a great healing tool for any readers looking to cleanse negativity and locate self-worth. After all, Carlson tells us that “what scares us most is an illusion."

The Karma Chronicles Part I
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I liked your review and the book seems like an interesting first part for Karma's Chronicles. Thank you.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one really doesn't sound like it's for me. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, and I appreciate the information. I'm going to skip this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
airwoman311
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airwoman311.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by airwoman311 »

Karma and paying karmic debt in a next life is a concept that is of interest to many. Your review is great, and the book sounds very interesting, but I also appreciate your warnings regarding the possible confusion. That can be so frustrating!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 10:37 This one really doesn't sound like it's for me. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it,
In all honesty, I don't think I would read it again myself. But the book quality isn't the reason, just my personal enjoyment preference. 8-)
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

airwoman311 wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 15:15 and the book sounds very interesting
It WAS interesting. I learned a lot about the karmic debt cycle and was roused to google some details for better personal understanding.
-Dr. Seuss
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Karma, the Buddhist's concept of debt repayment during consequent reincarnations, is held to be true by so many Asiatic religions. It has filtered through to the Westerners, and by now seems to be very acceptable. It holds that whatever past wrongdoings you have done in the past life must be restituted in future lives, constituting a Karmic Cycle of birth, death, and rebirth until the lesson is learned. Reincarnation is necessarily an accepted happenstance for this to proceed. This novel dwells on the lives of the twins undergoing the Karmic Cycle of purification, with one twin aiding the surviving twin. I am fascinated by the interesting storyline. Thanks for your nice review.
erne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by erne »

Kate learns how to handle life through difficulties
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Roggyrus wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 01:54 Karma, the Buddhist's concept of debt repayment during consequent reincarnations, is held to be true by so many Asiatic religions. It has filtered through to the Westerners, and by now seems to be very acceptable. It holds that whatever past wrongdoings you have done in the past life must be restituted in future lives, constituting a Karmic Cycle of birth, death, and rebirth until the lesson is learned. Reincarnation is necessarily an accepted happenstance for this to proceed.
Thank you for this! You certainly understand how karma cycles work! It was enjoyable for me to learn more!
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

erne wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:40 Kate learns how to handle life through difficulties
Yes, but it takes a looooong time. Much of the book is her repeating past failures.

Thank you for reading my review!
-Dr. Seuss
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Wow I actually found the concept to be incredibly interesting: it takes a lot of imagination to come up with something like that. The whole theology thing leaves me a bit perplexed though, not sure if I would enjoy that.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Arrigo_Lupori wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 05:51 Wow, I actually found the concept to be incredibly interesting:
I was personally quite interested in the details of the karmic cycle. I found myself googling a lot to better my understanding :D
-Dr. Seuss
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

This book would be riveting for me since am into the whole karma and consciousness concept. Fantastic review!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

prettysmart wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 14:02 This book would be riveting for me since am into the whole karma and consciousness concept. Fantastic review!
You should check it out! I would love to know what you think!
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”