Official Review: Ex Parte: Episodes of existential fiction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Ex Parte: Episodes of existential fiction

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ex Parte: Episodes of existential fiction" by Sheli Ellsworth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ex Parte: Episodes of Existential Fiction by Sheli Ellsworth is a collection of short stories that span across diverse genres and subject matters. From the very first page, the author's prowess with words radiates from the pages. This is evident through how she artfully transports the reader into the minds of various individuals, some of them being a prison warden, a commercial sex worker, an ex-wife, first-time parents and a restauranteur.

Each story is told from a one-sided perspective of an individual, hence the title: Ex Parte. This aspect adds a flavourful richness to the storyline as I often speculated about where the other parties involved stood on any given matter. The narration of the stories also differs with some narrated from the first person point of view while others are narrated from the third person point of view. The multiple episodes of reflective dialogue interspersed throughout the book provide a glimpse of the much needed bigger picture.

The writing is fast paced and I must admit that from the moment I read the first paragraph of a story, I couldn't stop until I arrived at its last full stop. Throughout the book, I was glad to read a 19th-century prison wardens journal and the chronicles of a homeless woman. I was especially intrigued when I was also glimpsed into the reality that a person suffering from sleepwalking wakes up to. The suspenseful nature of many of the tales had me wishing that I was reading a full book on them instead of just a few pages. It is also worth mentioning that each story perfectly reads as a stand-alone with the author's mastery of language consistent throughout the book.

Many of the scenarios captured in this book may seem foreign to most people, but after feeling the narrators' deepest emotions, the words will leave you pondering and having a refreshed perspective on things. The themes tackled in the book include compassion, resilience, grief, motherhood amongst many others. No matter the setting, these are very much applicable in modern day life.

While this was an enjoyable read, I found myself going through some of the stories more than once in order to fully decipher the deeper meaning embedded in the words. I have no complaints about this because the experience was worthwhile. There are also many quotable quotes plus nuggets of wisdom sprinkled throughout the book. Anyone looking for a thought-provoking and insightful read will find refuge in the author's brilliant expressions.

For a work of such caliber, it was prudent of the author to have it professionally edited. I only noticed minute typos like a missing word, an extra space between words and varying indentation on the table of contents. Because these did not in any way detract from the reading experience, I eagerly look forward to reading more works from this author. I will, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone seeking an intellectually stimulating read.

Ex Parte: Episodes of existential fiction
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

It is also worth mentioning that each story perfectly reads as a stand-alone with the author's mastery of language consistent throughout the book.
It is rare indeed that an author is able to stay consistent throughout their entire book! I often do not care for a book filled with short stories precisely because the reading tends to be uneven with some of the stories being well thought out, and then some not so much. Thanks for the review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like a good book which is thought provoking and insightful. Seems this book has lot to offer been a book consisting of short stories. The themes are eye catching and entertaining. Love the way the book has been designed. Looking forward to add to my shelf. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Kat Berg wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 01:50
It is also worth mentioning that each story perfectly reads as a stand-alone with the author's mastery of language consistent throughout the book.
It is rare indeed that an author is able to stay consistent throughout their entire book! I often do not care for a book filled with short stories precisely because the reading tends to be uneven with some of the stories being well thought out, and then some not so much. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. That is what impressed me most about this book. It's been added to my "to-read-again" list.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 07:31 I like a good book which is thought provoking and insightful. Seems this book has lot to offer been a book consisting of short stories. The themes are eye catching and entertaining. Love the way the book has been designed. Looking forward to add to my shelf. Thank you!
Then you'll find a home in Ellsworth's wonderful projections of reality.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I love a good anthology book and this seems like a winner, with a nice mix of tales. I'm especially interested in the one you mentioned about the sleepwalker. Thanks for the very thorough review!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

This is a very thoroughly written review. I like the fact that all the stories were well written. I like short stories very much so I will be reading this book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have to admit that just "existential fiction" is making me nervous. You give lots of good details, but I'm just unsure if this is one I would enjoy or labor through. Thanks for the review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

MsTri wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 23:40 I love a good anthology book and this seems like a winner, with a nice mix of tales. I'm especially interested in the one you mentioned about the sleepwalker. Thanks for the very thorough review!
That was also one of my favorites. As humorous as it was, it had me praying that I never "catch" sleepwalking.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

CambaReviewer wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:26 This is a very thoroughly written review. I like the fact that all the stories were well written. I like short stories very much so I will be reading this book.
Thank you. You won't be disappointed.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 13:34 I have to admit that just "existential fiction" is making me nervous. You give lots of good details, but I'm just unsure if this is one I would enjoy or labor through. Thanks for the review, though!
I understand your reservations. I hope you find one that suits your palette.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Skeco
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Skeco »

The cover and the title interested me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”