Official Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Re: Official Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.

Post by inaramid »

Thanks to everyone who commented! I know that not everyone is a fan of short stories, and I do understand the limitation of not being able to have a satisfying ending because of the length. Regardless, I found a lot of things that I enjoyed in the book. If you want to find out more, do check out Ms. Tri's review of this same book here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57879
Mo_ItsRenny
Currently Reading: Birthright
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Mo_ItsRenny »

Well I'm definitely interested in the so-called "psychology of imagined human beings". So I'm going to read it.
Annee Clark
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Annee Clark »

This review was very insightful in revealing the mannerisms of the book, so to speak, as well as samples demonstrating the writing style. I don't read short stories often, but this may be one I will have to look into. It's a shame that it has such easily repairable errors that weren't corrected before publication, but if the content is as good as it is made out to be, they should be easy to get past in order to enjoy this collection of short stories.
turtledonut
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-turtledonut.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by turtledonut »

I finished reading the first short story and I agree they Coles is adept at creating an image through language. I really enjoyed what I have read so far. I'm sorry to hear that there are several errors in the book, especially those of the character names. I am glad that they do not hinder the book much though. I hope to continue reading this correction of stories.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I really enjoyed this review, thank you.

I don’t read a lot of short story collections, and I would say the majority of the ones I have read are Stephen King. Your descriptions of the story remind me a little of King’s more psychological, thought-provoking stories. I really enjoy character-driven stories so you’ve piqued my interest on this one.
Yurikai13
Currently Reading: Night Pleasures
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yurikai13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Yurikai13 »

Thank you for the review. This sounds like something I wouild enjoy despite the typographical errors. I enjoy a good short story or two when taking a break from writing or reading full-length novels.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

I agree that Coles has that kind of descriptive manner that amazingly uncovers realistic feelings of the characters in his stories. I loved your review very much and I was kind of disappointed to know that there are typos in his work which maybe prevents you to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. But anyhow, I'll surely give this one a try. :)
There's nothing else more exciting than making a rough place your comfort zone. :wink: --kc fernandez
mef_writer1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mef-writer1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by mef_writer1 »

This books sounds like a lot of irony and I will admit I'm not very intrigued. I haven't read this author before, but if his writing is anywhere near as entertaining as this review makes it out to be, I'm going to enjoy him quite a bit. I'm especially interested in the one where it's "no wonder he wanted his wife dead." (Why must I be cursed with a morbid sense of humor?)
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Just downloaded the book, great and detailed review.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Anthologies and collections of author's works have always appealed to me. I look forward to seeing how these characters bring me on their path and how their decisions pave the way.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Your review made me want to read the book. I love how it can attract different readers as the stories are so different.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I think it's cool that this book is illustrated. You do an excellent job of making the works sound endearing. I am curious about the twists that seem to pop up regularly in the book. I'm not sure how much knowing pieces of it gives away, but I'm glad you only detailed a few so some will still be a surprise.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Let me start by complimenting your review! It was VERY well-written, and I really enjoyed reading it! Awesome job!

Today's BOTD sounds like an amazing book to use in a lit class for a study on characterization. What a treat for readers and writers everywhere to enjoy this for free! Thank you! Whether your reason for reading is for personal enjoyment or to take an in-depth look at the writing techniques and strategies used by the author, the variety of pieces in this fictional anthology is sure to please readers everywhere!
Tunji20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tunji20 »

Highlighting the typographical errors in this piece of writing is significant as it may serve as the major source of dissatisfaction for some readers.

Nonetheless, Williams H. Cole, has written an outstanding literature piece as it relates with human nature and psychology.

My rating for this book was a 3 out of 4, because I was able to relate with this literature work to an extent. The only reason I did not give this work a 4 out of 4, was because of the errors, which may be overlooked by some readers.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the thorough review! I enjoy reading short stories so I can't wait to read through the book. Hopefully, since there was no mention of graphic content, this book will be a nice read!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”